What's everyone working on?

Way to go Deborah! Glad to hear it worked out so well for you!
As to what I've been up to, I did thankfully get all the magazines shelved, and also lucked into another reference book which I'm sure should be helpful if/when I ever have the funds to invest in artisan minis. lol It's entitled "A Reference Guide to Miniature Makers Marks", and I must admit with all the excitement we've had over the last few days with our dachshund getting teeth pulled, when he had gone in just to have them cleaned -- then being told they had to stitch up his gums in the back b/c he had a nasty laceration... and then after bringing him home having them call the next day to tell us they gave him the wrong dosage of pain meds and it could cause major issues like stomach bleeding, liver failure, or death... We'll just say I've been none too happy with the vets office, and the little guy has been being watched non-stop to make sure he's alright. So far so good, but in being that I've been indoors with him by my side non-stop for four days now, it's left me pretty limited in regards to mini work. At least for the time being I've just about finished up with sanding and gluing parquet pieces for a hallway in my Nantucket. I've also pulled out some fabric and thought I may go ahead and work on some pillows, that way I can sit in the chair with him by my side and still be semi-productive.

On Friday, August 25, 2017 5:21:49, havanaholly said:

Artisan-made table ($10):

gallery_8_2334_14470.jpg

$ Tree end table ($1.00):

wallpaper I:  the parlor

End table made from kit scrap parts ($0.00):

the kitchen

Thanks Holly, but I think those tables are a little large. Well, maybe.

Here's one of two scenarios I can do in the living room.

In the first one, there's a better view of the etagere. But the table and lamp will have to be placed on the open side next to the chair. I think having a lamp in the middle of the room like that will sort of block the view. I am thinking maybe a floor lamp instead.

One of the things I thought I would do here is instead of put a plant by the TV, I'd put that cat scratching post next to the TV.

This room is going to be a little old lady room. I'll have a wedding picture from the 40s and a pic of her husband in his Marine uniform in the bedroom. Obviously, this is a widow living here. But she will have her cats. I'd like to have 6 or more cats in the shadowbox.

OK, so here is this room:

59a1f071a7c4c_Picture001.thumb.jpg.d2231

The other room wouldn't have room for a cat scratching post. But it does have enough room for an end table with a lamp on it.It's a little harder to see the etagere in the corner, but I can squeeze in a plant by the TV, though.

Now, if I got rid of the radiator, I could put a table and lamp in front of the window and then put the cat post next to the chair by the open side.

59a1f07aaf4c9_Picture002.thumb.jpg.4bb36

There's pros and cons to both rooms and I haven't decided which way I want to decorate the room. Any opinions are welcome.

And of course, a lot depends on how much 7 or 8 cats cost, too. LOL

Edit to add, forget the kitty condo. If one cat is scratching the chair and the other cat is in the fish bowl, then the third can be pawing at the plant. So instead of a kitty condo, I'll put a philodendron.

• Like 1

Today was a dollhouse day...put a beef stew dinner in the crockpot about 10 am then went into my work room...put up a GO AWAY sign on the door. Worked on putting in all of my lighting (I realize most people do this at the beginning and not the end but I prefer to make life as difficult as humanly possible) and making the final decisions about what's going to stay (I really hate making final decisions) and whatever is going to stay is getting permanently glued down...no more sticking my giant hand in the house and having everything go flying. Pretty fun day with a few frustrations..broken drill bit..blown fuse....but all in all very productive (in mini land at least). 

• Like 1

OK, I'm up to 9 cats now. Does anyone think this is too many cats?

Bathroom: one in the litter box, one drinking out of the toilet

Bedroom: one sleeping on the bed, one licking its paw on the chair

Living room: one in the kitty condo, one scratching the chair, and one in the goldfish bowl ion the TV

Kitchen: one on the stool, one under the table playing with a toy

• Like 4

You can never have too many cats (or doggies) in a doll house!

i spent the day going through boxes and boxes of furnishings and accessories for my DC 800 VM, in prep for attending the "3 blind mice" show in Nashville on the 8th and 9th--heaven forbid I'd buy a 3rd or 4th  anything! What fun--after several years since I'd wandered through--many souvenirs from trips--furniture from China and Paris, brass from Turkey, glass from Israel and England, blown glass from the Czheck (sp?) Republic, musical instruments from Vienna--

now to papering the 1st floor...

• Like 1

Spent the whole day working on papering, trim, painting, etc for my McKinley rehab.  Next time I'm building from a kit, I want something brand new.  But this is fine for my witch house.  I have a new respect for anyone who manages to put something together without getting glue everywhere.  Tired of the maintenance, I'm ready to decorate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

This is lovely! Also, Kelly's 9 mini cats would go nuts if they saw this! lol!

Thank you! Then Perhaps I shpuldn't share the Kitty Christmas tree, adding bows and ribbon to it and pondering what to use as tree toppen....large.IMG_0675.JPG.9b07925170b469c4ac395

• Like 1

Anna, the tree is a great idea - how about a bird, or squirrel for the tree topper?  I know our cats love to watch birds and squirrels outside ... the squirrels actually tease and taunt the cats!

• Like 1

Anna, that kitty Christmas tree idea is charming. :)

Boring work going on around here. Yesterday I finished up grouting the basement of the San Franciscan. Just need to seal it now. Then I painted up some trim work, doors and ceiling paneling for the basement interior ready for installation. Then I skipped up a level and worked on the first floor stairs adding decorative corner trims and staining the treads. I needed to do something a bit more interesting for a bit. :D 

23 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Samantha, I know the feeling, there are days when everythig we do is just busy work and then days when it's so creative and fun and amazing. Have you started any flowers? 

Tell, me about it.. I wanna do some fun stuff. :D Actually my punches just arrived in the mail today (slow boat from the USA apparently) so I may have to switch up to some flower play. :ohyeah:

We were in Mobile today hitting thrift stores, etc., before going to their jazz group's monthly event, which was held in the main library this month.  I found a table & chairs set of "fairy garden" furniture being closed out at Big Lots and two books of Oriental rug designs on the library's sales shelves.

• Like 2

Everyone seems to be doing such great mini projects....I, on the other hand, have been botching up the paint job on the brick Colonial rehab house.  Blargh. 

I was so relieved that I FINALLY got the 1st and 2nd floor walls painted last nite....only to realize this morning that I had used the wrong off-white paint!  Not only was it brighter than the exterior and 3rd floor paint color, but it was also SATIN rather than MATTE!!  :dunce:   Guess who will be re-painting tonite?

• Like 1

Just popping in to update that today my girl and I have been out in the shop organizing a bit more. Moved some old shelves that were at one time part of a store display in town, the store put them out to be thrown away and they're working out in holding my stash of slate, plaster/resin items, and paints etc. Still have more to do, but am liking that this allows me to get items I typically forget I have out in the open where I can see them and know what I have right off! Still trying to find a way to get all of my trim wood out in the open and sorted as well, but will be heading back out here shortly as soon as I refuel with more coffee!

Not often I do back to back updates in this topic, but after going out with my pup to the shop again we got the rest of the slate sorted onto two separate shelves. Sorted as in I've scrubbed some pieces for cutting my own slate floors and haven't gotten to wash the others yet. lol Anyways, I have to say when you can get a couple square feet of slate, and it's actual slate not some fake substitute -- and be able to cut it yourself... I've a feeling when I use my first pack I've made up, I'm going to be incredibly proud of that floor! lol

Anyways, got the rest of that sorted out, still have yet to sort wood trims as I'm still sticking close to the house to keep an eye on our mini dachshund after the vet's mix up of meds the other day. Thankfully he's seeming to do alright, but we're all keeping our eyes on him to be on the safe side. After dinner tonight we had a couple of steak bones, and I put those on a small platter for my pup. She loves going out to the shop, and if she gets a treat like that while I'm working it keeps her out from under my feet. So I was able to sort some more supplies on to specific shelves, and also sorted some of my various trims and whatnot on the other side of the shop. I also went ahead tonight and glued the front gable on to the Lafayette build I have on one of my workbenches. Thinking tomorrow I'll be removing the last of the old uneven shingles off of my Nantucket and if all goes according to plan applying Paperclay stonework to the Lafayette. In regards to my dollhouse work inside, I've been plugging away on a parquet floor. Have the main portion of parquet done, but am now doing a parquet border around it. Should be a pretty entrance hall floor when I'm done, and I must admit I'm very much looking forward to having it done and being able to apply a finish, sand, and one more to really make it shine. That will be my first floor hallway floor for it. I also received a very Colonial styled fireplace from a Goodwill on-line auction from a few weeks ago, when I got it I found out it was a Braxton Payne fireplace! Needs a little bit of touch-up paint on the mantel, but I have to admit while I had seen that fireplace and wanted so badly to put it in the Nantucket kitchen... it's so large I almost want to make it it's own roombox.

I'm going to go ahead and give myself another few days to ponder how I want to do that kitchen. I know I want to do my slate for the flooring, and will attempt to make sure to start a new album and put up pics so if anyone else is wanting actual slate for their floors they can see how it looks and let me know what they think of it in my house. In addition, I'm working on finishing up two other dollhouses, the Lafayette being one and then also I have the Georgetown Brownstone and my Plum Pudding rehab. I'm hoping that in the next week or so I may have a deal worked out with a gift shop in town to actually carry my completed dollhouses... still working out details there, but it would be nice as I have unfortunately no room to keep all the dollhouses I work on once done.

• Like 1

Been working on the third floor of my tower, Walls are cut, wasn't happy with my wallpaper choice, I I had chosen to use up some older wallpaper that I had several rolls of thinking I wouldn't see it anyway being up so high, but I do see it through the tall windows so I decided I do need something more interesting and am now waiting on a new order. Also figured out how to make the battlements during this time so I am excited! Need to get busy making more more windows too. I added them up and I have cast approx. 275 windows and have approx. 125 more to go! , a lot more than original design but adding the towers with floor to ceiling windows made the difference.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=core&module=members&controller=profile&id=5129&tab=node_gallery_gallery

I've been painting on the porch pieces for the Cape May.  It is coming along, but seems I am at a slow part.  Last night in experimenting, I created more work for myself.  I painted the sunburst brackets the red and yellow.  I like that better . . . large.20170829_213229.jpg.b46406f5a7cfc9

• Like 4

On 8/23/2017, 5:06:20, havanaholly said:

Were the dining room chairs a kit?  Otherwise, how did you make their backs?  I'm still trying to figure out intricate wooden chair backs in 1:12!

Yes, the dining room set was a kit. It's laser-cut and very intricate Victorian styling. It's one of the Hart's Desire kits, and I don't know if she makes things in 1:12 scale. Most of it is in the smaller scales.