What's everyone working on?

12 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Wowsers, Anna!  Those look so real!

Thank you Holly, have had a LOT of fun getting the Idea to take shape and form. It is really addictive to start something like this though... i amgoing to try and shade some using gratis chalka to on the edges. Not sure it Will give the effect purple edges, but atleast I can try on one or two.

Happy to share the punch outs to if someone wants some.

• Like 1

My Fairfield is coming along, I have all the main assembly done now in a dry build and it starting to make sense. I have removed the part of the wall that had the railing built in now there is just the archway there. This little house is really trying to support me , bless it, we have had a good few conversations now.

• Like 2

Yesterday afternoon I changed my mind about the Chateau exterior - I liked that gray but it was pretty plain. I had purchased this Coastal paint by FolkArt a while ago and had done a sample on a board. I decided I'd try it over the existing gray. I used a foam roller, and had trouble making a consistent texture or getting good coverage. 

When I got up today to look at it after it dried, I knew I needed another coat. While picking up another jar of it, I grabbed a few texture tools - a roller with a coarse texture and a pounce tool. I mainly used the roller and was able to get a much more even texture. I'll have to see later if I have any touch up necessary. Like the effect, but boy does this paint stink! 

large.texturetools.jpg.65f076651053cfe16

large.59ad9aa49a418_texturedexterior.jpg

large.PaintedTexture.jpg.9062d01c791f4b7

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Heidi, there is something about that house, I really like it and would like to know more, it is one I know nothing about but very interesting

Jeannine - its a Lawbre Chateau. I bought it from a woman who had it for 30+ years. She had plans to do it for her daughter, then for her grandchild but it never panned out. It sat in her garage for years, collecting exhaust. She'd added quoins - and with glue that turned brown and seeped out. She also applied them in areas where they weren't meant to be. I had to repaint the exterior, and to do that, I had to chip off all those quoins and frames she'd glued on. That was a nasty chore, and then sanding the living daylights out of it to remove the remaining glue residue. 

I paid very little for the house based on what she originally paid and what they sell for new. She also lives in my town, so I didn't have to go far to pick it up. Its a neat house and between it and my French Country, they will be my last houses. 

21 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

Yesterday afternoon I changed my mind about the Chateau exterior - I liked that gray but it was pretty plain. I had purchased this Coastal paint by FolkArt a while ago and had done a sample on a board. I decided I'd try it over the existing gray. I used a foam roller, and had trouble making a consistent texture or getting good coverage. When I got up today to look at it after it dried, I knew I needed another coat. While picking up another jar of it, I grabbed a few texture tools - a roller with a coarse texture and a pounce tool. I mainly used the roller and was able to get a much more even texture. I'll have to see later if I have any touch up necessary. Like the effect, but boy does this paint stink! 

I LOVE the house with the texture! It gives it such an authentic feeling! My vote is to keep it! :clap:

I've been working on flowers. I want to do some bouquets for inside my cottage but warming up with planted flowers in the landscaping, a little rusty haven't made flowers for quite awhile. Forgot how much I enjoy it. Starting with some Iris, the easiest to make. 

Had a definite moment of just being blindsided by family news the other day, still trying to wrap my head around it... So knowing that my mother has a birthday coming up here in a couple of weeks I decided to buckle down and work on my gift to her. I don't know if anyone remember the old Hogarth Lamp kits that were put out by Walmer/Designer Home miniatures. I've had the lamp kit in my stash for a good while, and I think this is a good one to gift to my mom as while she's probably never going to go ahead and work on a full fledged dollhouse, she's shown enough interest in my mini works that she I think will have fun being able to change out the decor ever so often if she likes. She loves lodge/outdoor themed decor so I'm going to attempt that and make everything removable if she wants to change it. I've also been trying to take pictures of all of my newer dollhouse wallpapers -- just taking me a good bit with the family troubles currently going on.

Hope everyone is well, and Heidi I love your new grey coloration on the chateau!

Let me just say, there is a very valid reason I never became an electrician! The instructions are clear enough to put it together, but boy was I getting frustrated having to strip wires and fit them through holes without the copper bunching up. I think the base of the light sockets is done now, but am going to wait until morning to put bulbs in and see if I can turn it on without issue before I glue everything in place...

So, I tried a new texture on a bedroom wall in the van Buren.  I put the grout gunk I got on the walls, then patted it with a Wal-Mart bag .  After a couple coats of paint I think it will look cool.  Thinking yellow.  Not sure yet if bold yellow or a butter cup color.   Posted on the Van Buren pinterest board. Or...... both.

2 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

So, I tried a new texture on a bedroom wall in the van Buren.  I put the grout gunk I got on the walls, then patted it with a Wal-Mart bag .  After a couple coats of paint I think it will look cool.  Thinking yellow.  Not sure yet if bold yellow or a butter cup color.   Posted on the Van Buren pinterest board. Or...... both.

I tend to like slightly more muted wall colors unless I'm going for a special effect. For a bedroom, I'd lean more toward buttercup. Bold yellow may keep the residents awake at night.

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

I tend to like slightly more muted wall colors unless I'm going for a special effect. For a bedroom, I'd lean more toward buttercup. Bold yellow may keep the residents awake at night.

One of the first rooms we painted when we bought this house was the bedroom, it was a godawful BRIGHT YELLOW!!!; it is now a lovely, restful blue.

• Like 1

Well despite my allergy to the glue in plywood I have managed to bash a bit of my Fairfield so it is coming along. I work very slow but am progressing. I worked out all  all the wood flooring and tiles needs yesterday, lighting is on it's way, siding and different shingles, baseboards, trims, new patio railings crown moldings and wallpapers are coming too..and then last night I really pushed the boat out. I have been trying for a week to find furniture, last night I found a kitchen I liked. It is a Bespaq, I took a big deep breath before I hit the buy button but I did it. This little house is costing a fortune.  So I have to finish it now LOl.. I may have to get a mortgage on it!! I wanted a white or cream kitchen but searched and searched and all was sold out so I went for a dark one with white counters, I may have to rethink my color scheme for my kitchen now though. I love blues, whites etc which is what I had planned in my head but not so sure about that now, I may wait till the kitchen gets here and paly with some color swatches before I order the tiles.. I have tiles here that I bought for my Grosvenor and the borders too they are 1/12 they are so tiny, I cannot imagine the half scale ones, they would be almost invisible.

I have bought lights but not a system yet. I bought wire for the Grosvenor..could someone help me.which is best wire or copper tape.  and why

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

a dark one with white counters,

I can see this with amber/gold walls and pops of red in curtains, accessories, dishes, etc. It will give it a rustic Italian flavor if that fits with your overall decorating scheme.

I love reds. My own kitchen is dark cherry, with very pale grey /cream marbly look counters and most of my appliances are red with a couple of gunmetal grey  but my floors are wood,sort of medium brown and then I have cream carpets and pale very pale grey upholstery with one deep blue chair.I have  a hand made quilt in the room which had reds, blues and creams in it and it blends in very well.My walls are painted and are a sort of taupe.  I am not a lover of gold but.. above my fireplace I have a large gold framed ,gold matted picture that belonged to me Dad, I was going to take a picture of it and try to recreate it on the computer and put it in the house..it has some very special attachment to me. when I glance at it I see golds and then a winters scene which is browns, whites etc and that goes well in my living room where I do have some blue china ., some brass etc ,So I think I could use some gold . I did intend doing the floor in blue, white and a creamy yellow tile but unsure now.

This is the kitchen I bought

9b2d1aee1ef388097e3fe72d22638b82_image_250x205.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

The kitchen set is beautiful. Does the Fairfield have a nice sized kitchen? I love a big kitchen in a dollhouse but I never get one. All of the houses I've built have painfully small kitchens. 

I thought it was a nice size:

kitchen.JPG