What's everyone working on?

Samantha, I di go back to it a bit last night and started gluing, I don't give up easily, struggling though .It could just be I am not really in the fright frame of mind, I am finding I cannot concentrate on much right now anyway which is to be expected I think. I thought I was prepared for Johns death and the first few days I seemed Ok but since then I have been gutted and am making myself do things to try to get past that. I am not eating or sleeping much and going out seems a big chore  but it will pass. Maybe I should put me on my fridge list.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeannine said:

Samantha, I di go back to it a bit last night and started gluing, I don't give up easily, struggling though .It could just be I am not really in the fright frame of mind, I am finding I cannot concentrate on much right now anyway which is to be expected I think. I thought I was prepared for Johns death and the first few days I seemed Ok but since then I have been gutted and am making myself do things to try to get past that. I am not eating or sleeping much and going out seems a big chore  but it will pass. Maybe I should put me on my fridge list.

Give yourself time to grieve Jeanine. There are different stages of grief and some we go through quickly while other stages may linger. Try to take care of yourself physically so you don't get worn down.

Thanks gals, I need to keep busy though with something to concentrate on. The three little simple houses I bought for Red Riding Hood are enroute and that might be a better thing to do. The trouble is I have been grieving since John finally had to be in a care facility as I was no longer strong enough to look after him 24/7 and that had a huge impact on me. so I think my brain is just carrying on from that.. I know it will pass but ... nuff of that, this isn't the right place.

I have dug out some fine 1ply pure wool and have started working on a Shetland christening shawl so that should keep me focused a bit. I also have threads and  fine Aida  fabric out to make a couple of 1/2 scale rugs. I have been making 1/12th for a while then realized today I don't have any smaller.

I ordered tiles and wood flooring today for the Fairfield, that is going to be fun. I have them in 1/12th and the borders are so tiny I will need a magnifier to do the 24th scale LOL, that doesn't bother me. I shall enjoy doing that.

If anyone comes across a really nice 1/2 scale pump organ please let me know.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeannine said:

If anyone comes across a really nice 1/2 scale pump organ please let me know.

I don't know that it's actually a pump organ, but Bespaq makes a very nice organ in half scale:  http://happily-ever-after.biz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_13_90&products_id=11336  A bit pricey, but Bespaq items are generally good quality with lots of detail.

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Chrysnbon makes a perfectly lovely 1:12 pump organ.  Whilst working on my Fairfields I often wished that they made their kits in 1:24, as well; especially their bathroom and kitchen items.

No kidding.  I just took a look at their pump organ kit, and it is gorgeous!  Darn, I wish they made things in 1:24.

Still fiddling with weaving wicker, Trying out a sort of beach bag kind of wicker basket: still need to varnish the top brand and Handles as well as the i side, also pondering if I should add a fabric lining in it. Have a black version too, made the handles in a grey this instead of just full black. Might add some bling to it too though.

large.IMG_0742.JPG.f4be628be749eb658f4ab

• Like 3

I have my eye on the Bespaq one  I was waiting to see if I could find one on clearance somewhere..I found the harp I was looking for that way.

My father had a pump organ and I am tying to make the Fairfield  a memory house

I also have to somehow make a copy of his painting that is above my fireplace and bring it down to 12 scale. ?? Ideas anyone

I am sort of wondering due to the scarcity of 1/2th stuff if I should have done a different house for this project. I bought it for the name of course but I could call anyone of them whatever I like. I think it would have been much easier to find the things I need to make the memories..It is not too late I could still switch The new house would have to be Victorian and has to have a tower. I could still finish the actual Fairfield but without all the worry of searching for things that are not there. What would folks suggest.

Just took a quick look in the store, only three with towers, Garfield, Pierce and Beacon Hill. that on is too square looking, the Pierce I built years ago and it/s nor right either so it leaves the Garfield,  Holly have you just bought one?

If I had to have a 1:24 pump organ I'd be sorely tempted to try making one from card or mat board.  Yes, I have a Garfield still NIB; it's gonna stay there for a while, too..  The Pierce has two towers (I had one, it was half rebuilt & got destroyed in our move), the McKinley has one (check out the Team McKinley building blog).

Thanks Holly I noticed the McKinley too but didn't want  that one as it is too flat, Iike it as a wall hanging house but nor for this project. I should have thought this out more in the beginning, it just never entered my head that I would have so much trouble finding the supplest etc., If I am going to swich I need to do it quick as I have time to change my order on floorings and something else. The Fairfield would make a nice Storybook house for another time .

Hi, Jeannine, I'm very sorry for your loss, and very into a memory house--my DC Vic 800 has tiny doggies that my Father collected, a tiny titanium rolling pin a friend made for my Mother as well as a tiny meat grinder like Mama used to make ham salad when I was little--lo, these 70 years ago!, a red metal kitchen stool with tucked away steps that make a step ladder like in Mama's kitchen--with a basket of puppies in the seat!, and things from each country during my world travels.

Re: your painting, during many hours of perusing the internet for a painting for the country kitchen I came upon a perfect miniature of a large print that hangs in my baby doll room (mostly antique newborns like byelos and AM--dream babies, etc.)--I couldn't believe it! it's a collie calling to the (unseen) shepherd telling him he's found the little lost lamb in the snow!

so, a google search might yield a miniature of your painting! Happy hunting! (Incidentally, my nursery is Bespaq--their stuff is exquisite--so beautiful!)

mary helen

18 hours ago, Jeannine said:
2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I also have to somehow make a copy of his painting that is above my fireplace and bring it down to 12 scale. ?? Ideas anyone

Jeannine - this is what I did to get a copy of a painting.  I took a picture of it and then went to Staples.  The gal there always helps me out. Anyways I told her I needed just the painting bought down to scale and she was able to get just the painted scaled down for me and then printed me extras just in case.  Then I put the painting in a frame and it came out looking just like the one hanging on my friends wall (the house I had built was for her and I had many of her pictures and painting reduced)  I have Staples do my printing sometimes cause I am to lazy to figure it all out to scale down

Mary Helen and Donna, thank you so much for your replies very sweet and very helpful Staples here I come.

Mary Helen when I was 12 we moved into a house with a tower, my secret hiding place. It was a big Victorian Vicarage. My Mum was always the decoratoe but my Dah announced he was going to decorate the huge entrance hall by himself. My Mum and my sister thought this was very funny. My Dad oak paneled the walls to about 18inches from the top, and on that edge he put a shelf all round, he late filled it with brass and china, he bought a very old grandfather clock and an organ with a very quaint stol and he put a big comfy armchair in one corner. On the wall above the organ he hung this picture, it was very old print in a very expensive old frame,It was by an Aberdeen painter named Farquharson,My Mum and my sister screamed with laughter when he brought the picture and stuff home form an estate auction but I stood by my Dad with true grit. When Icame to Canada in 77 my dad said, you may take 1 thing from the house as a memory. I took the picture. The family called it Sheep in the Snow which describes it, but Farquharson called "And the path was leaning towards his western bower" it is a quote from a poem. I have often found his works on the net but never this one in picture but I have found reference to ti. It was let out in a very very limited print and we have one . I will go an take another look right now but I have never found it before

Well I found it, the net used the word sloping in it's title when it actually is leaning  I am pretty sure but don't want to lift it down., anyway here it is

It has shown up lighter than the real one mine has more depth of color but it is the right one

sheep in the snow.png

Hi Jeannine, thinking of you.. please see if you can eat something, you need to keep your strength up. But I know it's hard.. I didn't eat a morsel for 10 days after my Dad passed.. I think it's a normal reaction to do this.

If you are looking for a house with a tower, the Garfield is a beautiful one but very large. :) Some others to consider are

The RGT Queen Anne

The RGT Painted Lady

The Duracraft San Franciscan 550 / 555 or 557 - no longer in business but they show up on Ebay fairly regularly

The Duracraft Queen Anne Victorian - again, they show up on Ebay from time to time

The Duracraft Crestview - Ebay again

The Duracraft Victorian Mansion VM800 - The kit's show up occasionally. But this one is also very large!

The Duracraft Marquam Hill - rare, but they show up occasionally.

Or if you really wanted to splurge you could go for a Lawbre Shadowcliff shell:D 

Thanks Samantha, I take a sleeping tablet at night and the side effect is i makes me hungry I used to hate this but right now it is a good thing I sometimes make a sandwich or a fruit salad  early in the day and when the tablets kick in I usually eat  some of .Each day I cook a proper meal then look at it and put it in the bin

I looked at all the houses you posted but I think the Garfield is closer to what I am looking for, I will ponder it for a little while. It doesn't make any sense to try to make a very special house of I can't get the furniture etc that I want and right now I could switch.

I did eat tonight, I had a minister come for dinner and stayed 6 hours so I had to eat with her but I do feel very queasy. She was wonderful with me and felt very much better after she had visited.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I looked at all the houses you posted but I think the Garfield is closer to what I am looking for, I will ponder it for a little while. It doesn't make any sense to try to make a very special house of I can't get the furniture etc that I want and right now I could switch.

I did eat tonight, I had a minister come for dinner and stayed 6 hours so I had to eat with her but I do feel very queasy. She was wonderful with me and felt very much better after she had visited.

I say if you have the room, go for it! :D 

And, I'm glad to hear you gained some comfort from your Minister's visit.. (hugs)