What's everyone working on?

14 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I could still finish the actual Fairfield but without all the worry of searching for things that are not there. What would folks suggest.

I suggest that you finish the house construction and then focus on filling it. Creating just the right atmosphere and filling it with the perfect irems is a marathon, not a sprint. No need to rush. The ideal items will turn up in the fullness of time. You may even find you like making furnishings to your own specifications. My theory is that if you can picture it in your head, you can create it in miniature. If you don't rush the process, everyday items will suddenly pop up and say, "Use me as the ______ for the _____."

Kathie,I can make all the soft furnishings, curtains, rugs upholstery but I cant carve some of the Victorian furniture that I want this house to have..I will find a good use for it, but it won/t be the memory house I had planned. The shell with it's modifications is 95% complete now so it can sit and wait till I decide what to do with it, it's just another house..

I took a look at the link you gave me Holly, there were some nice houses there but the Garfield is still heading the pack as to being the closest to the house I was looking for. It is of course much bigger but still not as big as my really big one so I am not concerned about the size. It is a shame that my big one wouldn't have done but the style is all wrong.

• Like 1

I haven't been able to work on my houses for a couple of weeks.  Here is the story of the very bad, no good, horrible vacation of 2017.   We had scheduled a week in a condo in Cocoa Beach (where we are planning on retiring some day), but Irma decided to show up that same week.  We then changed our plans after we couldn't get a refund from the Florida condo, the guy just said let's wait and see.  REALLY?  So we agreed to move our week to May.  Then I booked a cabin on the river in Estes Park, Colorado.  This was a good plan B since i have always wanted to go there.  We left on Saturday and spent two nights in Colorado Springs seeing the sights and hiking then on to Rocky Mountain National Park.  We spent one night at the cabin (we couldn't get the cabin we wanted for the whole time so we had to stay in a different one for the first night, then were moving to our cabin).  When I woke up the next morning to load the car I thought a drunk driver had sideswiped the passenger side of the car.  The side mirror was hanging off and the door handle was gone.  Then a guy came out of another cabin and said it looked like a bear had tried to get in our car.  (Yes, we did leave a bag of Chex Mix in the door pocket).  That made sense because I noticed paw prints.  At that point I had to laugh, hubby not so much.  

Anyway, we made the best of it and spent one day hiking and enjoying the wildlife, we saw beautiful elk up close and personal.  That evening I called my mother (who is 89) and the paramedics answered the phone.  She had fallen and couldn't get up.  I had to ask my daughter to take off work and take her to the hospital.  We still had 3 days of vacation left but I booked a flight out of Denver the next day and my hubby drove home.  My mother is doing well, she had a bad case of bronchitis and is still in the hospital but will be OK.  So I guess I should have postponed the whole thing after I learned the Hurricane was coming.  Hoping to get back to working on my houses soon but enjoying reading the forum while hospital sitting.

• Like 1

Sorry Patti, glad to hear your Mom is going to be ok though. Estes Park... refresh my memory, isn't that where the hotel that inspired The Shining is located? I know you like the haunted stuff so I'm curious if that's why you chose Estes? 

29 minutes ago, pgwyn said:

I haven't been able to work on my houses for a couple of weeks.  Here is the story of the very bad, no good, horrible vacation of 2017.   We had scheduled a week in a condo in Cocoa Beach (where we are planning on retiring some day), but Irma decided to show up that same week.  We then changed our plans after we couldn't get a refund from the Florida condo, the guy just said let's wait and see.  REALLY?  So we agreed to move our week to May.  Then I booked a cabin on the river in Estes Park, Colorado.  This was a good plan B since i have always wanted to go there.  We left on Saturday and spent two nights in Colorado Springs seeing the sights and hiking then on to Rocky Mountain National Park.  We spent one night at the cabin (we couldn't get the cabin we wanted for the whole time so we had to stay in a different one for the first night, then were moving to our cabin).  When I woke up the next morning to load the car I thought a drunk driver had sideswiped the passenger side of the car.  The side mirror was hanging off and the door handle was gone.  Then a guy came out of another cabin and said it looked like a bear had tried to get in our car.  (Yes, we did leave a bag of Chex Mix in the door pocket).  That made sense because I noticed paw prints.  At that point I had to laugh, hubby not so much.  

Anyway, we made the best of it and spent one day hiking and enjoying the wildlife, we saw beautiful elk up close and personal.  That evening I called my mother (who is 89) and the paramedics answered the phone.  She had fallen and couldn't get up.  I had to ask my daughter to take off work and take her to the hospital.  We still had 3 days of vacation left but I booked a flight out of Denver the next day and my hubby drove home.  My mother is doing well, she had a bad case of bronchitis and is still in the hospital but will be OK.  So I guess I should have postponed the whole thing after I learned the Hurricane was coming.  Hoping to get back to working on my houses soon but enjoying reading the forum while hospital sitting.

Well at least the bear tried your car and not your cabin! :eek:

Being from a no-bear nation, this kind of thing scares the #$%$## out of me! :D

Glad your Mum will be ok... That condo guy sounds lovely... not... I mean I know he's trying to make a living and a hurricane is not his fault.. but... it's not like that would happen every day.. a bit of goodwill wouldn't go astray... Well I hope you have better luck in May. 

19 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Glad your Mum will be ok... That condo guy sounds lovely... not... I mean I know he's trying to make a living and a hurricane is not his fault.. but... it's not like that would happen every day.. a bit of goodwill wouldn't go astray... Well I hope you have better luck in May. 

Hurricane season is officially June 1 to November 30, so May should be OK.

30 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Sorry Patti, glad to hear your Mom is going to be ok though. Estes Park... refresh my memory, isn't that where the hotel that inspired The Shining is located? I know you like the haunted stuff so I'm curious if that's why you chose Estes? 

Yes, the Stanley Hotel is there.  I didn't choose it for the Stanley but definitely had plans to tour the hotel.  Couldn't afford to stay the night and not sure I wanted to with the ghosts and all.  LOL.  We did drive by so I got to see it from the road.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Thank you.

What a holiday .Glad your Mum is OK though, Hurricanes I don't understand much but bears I know  . I guess he didn't get the Chex Mix.It will make for an interesting insurance claim, you were lucky he didn't do more damage.  I hope your holiday in May turns out sooo much better.

6 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

What a holiday .Glad your Mum is OK though, Hurricanes I don't understand much but bears I know  . I guess he didn't get the Chex Mix.It will make for an interesting insurance claim, you were lucky he didn't do more damage.  I hope your holiday in May turns out sooo much better.

No, he didn't get the Chex Mix. LOL, We think someone may have scared him off before he did more damage.   I hope May goes smoothly.  ha.  

Oh my. That is a rough vacation! Glad everyone ended up okay though.

Mom and I are headed to Nebraska State Day this weekend, so I've been working on my swap items. It's an attic theme this year so I decided to go for something that wouldn't really fit in other projects. I made elephant foot umbrella stands and walking sticks. They were a little more work than I first thought they'd be (somehow my swap items always end up that way! :D ) but I like how they turned out, especially the later ones. My 5-year-old is begging for one of her own. :D

Tomorrow I'm headed to the Kansas State Fair to demonstrate miniatures for 5 hours. I'm taking supplies to make wind chimes, petunias, and also enough wood to figure out how to miniaturise my mother-in-law's awesome barnwood shelves in both 1:12 and 1:48 scales. I'll also have handouts of little books they can make in 1:12 & 1:48 scales and my 1:576 house with instructions. Hopefully there will be some interest.

• Like 2

I bought the Garfield!!  I am still working on the Fairfield though just adding a wall in the attic and making a window a door on the second floor patio space. The tower I have made open at one end so the mini folks can walk straight in. plodding on but I am moving forward with it. Tried the pretty windows in a couple of spots tonight and they looked good. It is funny really I work on it till I am frustrated with it then tell myself that is it, enough is enough..then an hour later I walk past it and it whispers to me," come on Jeannine one more go!!!"

I don't know who is more determined , me, or this little house. Anyway clearly it will get it  finished but not as it's original design. I cancelled the very expensive kitchen that was or order as it had not been shipped yet so it is open house now on this one.

Maybe it could become a storybook house, the Goldilocks and the 3 bears maybe, The trouble is in that story the 3 bears beds where all in one room..maybe not then. Cinderella..no all people. I can't think, I will have to go online and choose..maybe a fairy house, or better still a Cottingley fairy house, there is enough room in there for that and Cottingley was very close to my UK home ,then it w0uld have people and fairies..a possible maybe..but I am so open to ideas here What to do with my Fairfield?

• Like 3

Yay!  Now you have to get that pump organ kit.  :note:  I do think it will be easier to furnish the Garfield the way you want it.  There is so much more available in 1:12 scale, and a lot more variation in price points.

Don't really have any ideas on the Fairfield, but I have a feeling that house is going to tell you what it wants to be.  It's already been doing a lot of talking.  :)

• Like 2

Hooray, I am glad you got the Garfield.  I think you will be able to do everything you want with that house.  I am looking forward to watching your journey with it.  I want a Garfield some day. I am a little worried about the size so I will see what you think.

That little Fairfield never shuts up!! When I was a little Fairfield my mother told me I never shut up either so maybe there is some truth to what goes around comes around.

Deborah, it was definitely the organ that did it, it just tipped the balance in Garfields favor.

I don't know how I am going to do all these houses I work so slow I will have to live to be 100. Note to me, don't buy anymore!!

OOh and I just remembered some thing I said in a post recently. I said  I had a Beacon Hill, one of the trio I got off Craigs list a few weeks ago...wrong... yesterday I was putting something in my "under the sofa stash" and it is a Willowcrest along with the Chantilly and the Westville , sorry I didn't mean to fib.

I picked up one of the trio for my Red Riding Hood project at the border today, the Glencroft, it was sent separate to the Aster and the Sugarplum..I have got to stop or get a third sofa!! Thank goodness I didn't pick up the Arthur that was a freebie on Craigs list, offered to me but I had second thoughts about that one. I also picked up the siding for the Fairfield, (thank you Deborah) and some lovely trims from another link I think Deborah gave me, thank you again.

Deborah I was looking at your Fairfield again re the stairs today and took a closer look at your tower floor, I LOVE that Mariners compass floor, how did you do it. I Have a soft spot for that design , I pieced a quilt with  one a few years ago and it really tested me. Your floor  looks stunnng

• Like 1

This is one of the Dollhouses I've been working on the past couple of weeks. Im ready to work on the roof now and I'm thinking of creating a thatched roof look for this one instead of roof tiles.  I hadn't completed a house in almost 3 years so I'm excited to be almost finished with the clay work on this one :)  This is a 1" scale lasercut buttercup I was given when I did the table with Lisa from Greenleaf at the Aztec show in 2009  I wish they sold them in laser cut for 1" scale but they only made a few for that show only  

6F57D0DA-0810-445B-AFBB-EAD50585C905-392

• Like 3

Oh Tracy, I just love your clay work! 

As for my project progress.......dang it!! I messed up one of the attic lights and now I have to remove the wallpaper and re-do the fixture! :pullhair:

Well, I have company coming tonite and a family reunion on Saturday. Looks like this house isn't going to get finished this week after all. blargh.

• Like 1