What's everyone working on?

It is just a small rectangle block of wood with a hole in  There is  loose screw fitted  in the hole , tightened just enough so that the block can turn. When it is straight up the gate will open and when turned  sideways it locks the gate. I can buy little tiny metal ones now of course., The whole lower  back would lift off if I used those.

I finished priming the Mystery Porch house and now making templates of all the walls and ceilings with somewhat heavy watercolor art paper.  Some of the templates will be used in the house as is, but some will be covered with real dollhouse wallpaper (not yet purchased).

Husband has been busy searching for and buying things for the house.  Sometimes we get what we expect and other times we learn we didn't know enough to know we weren't ordering an appropriate item, but we are not discouraged and learn from our mistakes.  My husband had never seen a battery operated light that hangs by a magnet -- he broke off the very small off and on switch trying to figure it out.  He plans to wire the house (he is an electrician) and does not plan to use battery operated lights and bought that light by mistake.  We have also discovered sometimes it is cheaper on Ebay or Goodwill.com to by items in LOTS as per item it sometimes comes out cheaper.  So we are getting quite a collection of various scale items in our search for our desired item(s).

• Like 2

I'm unhappy with my current basement lighting scheme so I'm making modifications to some and attempting to make others without much success. So, I've bought a few more bead cages to try. Stumped on the kitchen light. I can't decide if I should give the tenant a fancier pendant light in there or just stick with a simple ceiling mounted globe. My concern with the pendant is that it will block the view into the rest of the room.

I'm also working on painting the stems of the leaves for the San Fran's tree and trimming windows and doors in the basement. I'm in a bit of a hurry to get some stuff done because I'm about to go into a run of 72 hour weeks at work (12hr days, 6days/week) so that will mean work, eat, sleep, repeat for the next month.. no mini time!:cry:.. But lots of Overtime. :ohyeah: Money to spend on minis! :drool:

21 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Samantha what are the bead cages please?

These are the ones I bought. They are jewelry findings that I like to try out for lighting. I just add a bulb and a chain and you end up with a cool light.. or not.. lol... I get them from China, and they send them on a slow boat.. I'll probably see these in December.. lol

1PC-Silver-Tone-Hollow-Bola-Magic-Box-Cage-Open-Pendant-Jewelry-4-2x2-5cm

1pc-Openable-Cage-Chime-Ball-Bead-Pendant-For-Women-Necklace-Jewellery-Fashion

2pcs-Antique-Bronze-Hollow-Cage-Look-Iron-Pendants-Charms-Findings-Ctafts-05383

4X-Vintage-Style-Bronze-Tone-3D-Bird-Cage-Pendant-Charms-Findings-40-26-26mm

2pcs-HOT-HANDMADE-Antique-style-bronze-metal-wire-bird-cage-pendant-42-42-34mm

Wow, those are really great.I can see a lot of good ideas with them ..Thank you.

Can you spare a minute and tell me how you add just 1 light. I have  been trying to think of a way  of illuminating a tiny fairy .( not with the cages of course)

9 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Wow, those are really great.I can see a lot of good ideas with them ..Thank you.

Can you spare a minute and tell me how you add just 1 light. I have  been trying to think of a way  of illuminating a tiny fairy .( not with the cages of course)

Hi Jeannine,

So I just buy a candle bulb or a GOW/GOR bulb (pre wired) and thread them inside the bead cage and add a chain. 

Here's one I did a while ago.

large.IMG_2898.JPG.2aa5c14255943de45654c  

Can you post a picture or link me to your fairy so I can try to make an informed suggestion. :) 

I haven't got a link Samantha it was for the Fairfield house theme of the Fairystory, the house is perfect and the story is lovely but in the final scene of the movie which is the one I wanted to portray the room has a great many fairies who visit the children I though if I had them in sheer flowing clothes maybe I could somehow attach a tiny light onto the body of the fairy it would give the impression she was lit up as fairies are. I have been looking for lights but the only ones I found where on a long string.If I can individual ones especially battery I could do it, I am sure. I guess the fairies could be as small as about 3/4 of an inch maybe a bit more for the older ones, The Queen fairy is  sitting on a girls finger and is a bit bigger than the length of her finger but I can adjust them if you think the light would do the job. I could make a frame instead of a body  and drape the sheer fabric over that so the light isn't too close to the fabric. Thank you for taking the time..XX Jeannine

Jeannine, why not go with the string of lights and paint or cover the wire to match the ceiling?  Then cut & sew bits of gossamer-y fabric around each light to suggest the fairies?  I think in 1:24 that ought to do the job.  3/4" seems awfully huge for a 1:24 fairy!

Thanks Jodi for the link about the space heater, I'll check it out. Id love to get one that has faux light effect flames...just like my dollhouses haha...:) 

Jeannine check the Cynthia Howe site, she sells those micro micro lights to go in the micro putz houses..they're on a string but wow are they tiny.

We had a wood stove type one of those in the early 90's. It was really neat! It was a heater housed inside an old fashioned wood stove casing. There was an orange spinning cylinder that a light bulb fit inside of to mimic flames. It was good for heating the room we were in but not much else. I bet the newer versions are a lot better. You can't beat the ambiance - Russ and I would have hot coco together and talk about our days when I'd get off work at 10:30.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I haven't got a link Samantha it was for the Fairfield house theme of the Fairystory, the house is perfect and the story is lovely but in the final scene of the movie which is the one I wanted to portray the room has a great many fairies who visit the children I though if I had them in sheer flowing clothes maybe I could somehow attach a tiny light onto the body of the fairy it would give the impression she was lit up as fairies are. I have been looking for lights but the only ones I found where on a long string.If I can individual ones especially battery I could do it, I am sure. I guess the fairies could be as small as about 3/4 of an inch maybe a bit more for the older ones, The Queen fairy is  sitting on a girls finger and is a bit bigger than the length of her finger but I can adjust them if you think the light would do the job. I could make a frame instead of a body  and drape the sheer fabric over that so the light isn't too close to the fabric. Thank you for taking the time..XX Jeannine

I just got my order from  Evans Designs they do model trains and led lighting, you can order indivual led lights in many colors, blinking or flickering to be lit with either coin, double A or triple A batteries or link into your lighting system.  The wires are your choice of leanth 8” or 14”. I can see them working very well for this.

i  ordered a pendant vial to make the light in the peak of the roof, I am going to insert a LED along with some crystals.  It is antique silver now, but I am debating antique bronze instead.  I also ordered a mixed package of bead caps, but they are coming on a slow boat from China, so won’t be here for a while. I want the bead caps for ceiling plates, and a mixed package seemed it would do for later projects.  I had started out looking for a bead cage, but couldn’t find one in the size I wanted, the peak is narrow at the top. Hope this is what I am picturing!

Thank you Barb, I have sent them a message to see if they can help me pick the right ones. Holly that was my in the first plave  idea but then I learned  I can buy battery lights with no wire to light a small globe I was hoping I could find the innards to that and make each one individually . I might be dreaming but am still hoping for a few like that, There would be half a dozen or so sitting on a beam  then I can use the lights like Karin suggested. Thank you all, this project is on the back burner but I am still adding notes to the booklet I made about it.

• Like 1

I don't know how, and I promise you I am working on stuff. Really truly.!! This is my story up to date right now as it is.

My brain is racing ahead with all kinds of ideas because I am learning stuff all the time from you guys but my hands are working very slow!!

I am picking up supplies constantly to build up a good stash as I find any craft is easier when you have that.

I have some purchased porcelain dolls all in bits stripped and with the awful paint removed, they are waiting for when I decide to pour  and fire some of own and then they will get better faces

I have just almost learned how to do the camera, then hit and miss I have managed once or twice to get the pictures on my computer. Right now I am surrounded by a host of unfinished projects.

I have the Fairfield bashed, built and primed, not really worth a picture.

I have my huge UK house Grosvenor Hall  in much the same state, not worth a picture, but its is making a great bookcase for clutter and I think I have figured out what to change on that so my hopes are up.

I have my Victoria. Farmhouse on my worktable, remember I bought her off very cheap off Craig's list, she is  finished but needing TLC, I have the old shingles stripped off , the broken railings off  and have bought the new ones  and the missing doors etc. went to start it  but then I hit  a snag if you remember ,one wall had been placed in wrong place  and I was unsure how to continue as it involves the placement of the new patio. Left that till I had better tools to work with.

So I decided to begin work on my Red Riding Hood trio. I have just this morning put the last kit  piece on my Sugarplum, the ground floor is tiled and the upper floor wooded and as we speak I am looking at finishes to darken the wood as it is mahogany which was a mistake and is a bit too red.  Ideas appreciated here.I am also looking at it and trying to decide wether or not to put beams in the attic. I planned  on bricking the chimney today but as I forgot to order the mortar I may not get it finished today. I have the stairs ready for staining and the hole cut in the top floor. and I am still undecided whether or not to put baseboards in. Bear in  mind the only houses I have ever done in the past  were 7 or 8 kits .Made twenty or more years ago and they were never altered in any way, just quickly built   for gifts and passed on so the new child could decorate as they pleased and I had my husbands help.. Everything  I am doing now is for me and the kit bashing, lighting ,flooring ,tiling , fancy décor etc etc is totally new to me so I spend a lot of time reading , thinking ,learning and net cruising about what I do next. This is like doing a first house really.

I  still have the house that came from  UK ebay a few months ago  but what I got was  not the house described and  not worth sending back, so it is just  just sitting there looking at me and I send glaring looks back as I was so disappointed. It is a nice house but I wanted to ake a 1930 house and it is not quite right.

I have a Dura Craft house sitting in my living room fully finished beautifully but never decorated at all , it came cheap off Craig's list.

And...stuffed under the sofa and  in my bedroom closet, I have the following kits, 2 Garfields, a Willowcrest, a Westville, a Newport, a Chantilly and the other two kits to my trio The Aster and the Glencroft. Now I did say a couple of weeks ago I was not buying anymore but of course if something shows up on Craigslist and is close and cheap I doubt if I will pass it by ,,and that's it.  Actually not quite. I took the advise of someone who shall remain nameless and bought 2 kits off ebay because it sounded like a wonderful idea to do later when I had learned a lot more about bashing. They are being shipped as we speak from 2 different sellers, a pair of Victorianna half scales.

I now plan to get some decent tools , carry on with my trio and hopefully speed up a bit.

If some one will tell me how to do  the photo thingy and show what I am doing I will show what I can .

Long explanation but I hope it makes sense. If I hit a snag I will leave it and think about it for a while and move to something else. My Grosvenor Hall  is calling me and maybe when I finish the Sugarplum completely I will switch back to that. It would make sense to keep a visual record of it actually so the photo thingy may be a great idea.

XX Jeannine

• Like 1

Jeannine, does your camera have a macro setting? I find when I want to get clear photos of details, macro is best. You should also have a cord that can connect your camera to a USB port on the computer. I transfer my pictures that way, and my camera came with an editing software for the computer. On my profile page I have two tabs, activity and albums. You might not have an albums tab yet because you haven't started one? I can't remember what I did to start one, except maybe click on the gallery link and then on the add images button on the right. That might take you into the album setup page. It'll ask where you want to upload images, pick "members gallery". What should come up is a window where the left says "create new album". Name the album and click through to create it. Exit the window and come back. You should now have the "create new album" on left, and the name of your album on the right. When adding new pictures, I click on the album I want to add to, then click on the button "use selected album". Click on the button that says "choose files". Select the picture you want to load from your computer. Once it finishes loading, you'll get to type in captions and descriptions if you want, and then you hit "finish". The best time to load is when there's not much traffic on the site, for me that's usually 2-3 am, but then I'm a night owl.

Ok 'eck, what is a macro setting,, you see I am lost already, my husband did all that for me, I can't even type as no doubt everyone has seen but truly I can spell !!

The camera is one I bought for my husband about 4 years ago but he never used it  I guess his Alzheimers was further on than I realized. I dug it out a few weeks ago and managed to charge it. It is an Olympus, I think it was called Penn. I managed to take some pictures with it and looked in the manual and somehow got a few on the computer but I think it was more by luck than choosing. I am  totally useless on a computer. I bought a new one a few weeks ago but it was so complex I returned it to Costco. I did keep the printer but haven't figured it out yet. I don't know how to copy and paste even, and I see that all the time in instructions. I can't figure out how to put a link on either, I can take a photo off the net and put that on. but beyond  that I am lost. It does have a cord that connects to a thingy on my laptop. There was  disc for it but when I came to use it this laptop doesn't tale a disc which is why I bought a new pooter..back to square one now. There is a dial on the top which has letters on it P,A,S,M,, then a symbol that looks like an 8, then SCN, the ART, the Auto. I have it on Auto. There is the word Micro written on it.

There is a camera class at our local Seniors center I might join that and get myself used to it, there is class for cameras and computers as well so I think I should do that. The rest of your message I will have to mull over. I am also a night owl, very much so actually. Thank you for trying to help me. John was an Electonics Engineer and a whiz kid with anything technical all I had to do was get him to take pictures and put them on the computer for me. and I could send them anywhere I wanted then. I do ebay, Amazon, Craigs list, the net and here , I just need to learn the rest of it LOL

Well, I wish I lived closer to you so I could help more! I'm having a tough time envisioning the camera you have. If you still have the manual, it should say the model number? Olympus has a few Pen cameras and it would help if I could do an image search for it. A macro setting is when the lens focuses very sharply on objects near by, so it's excellent for taking closeups of flowers or very small minis for example. Background objects and things in the distance are usually a blur when you take pictures. On my camera, when I go into the setting menu, the macro icon is a small flower.

Found it. It is not an Olympic  pen I thought it was , I remember it now . It is an Olympus pen E-PL 1 and I found some pictures of it. I also found the manual and it does have a macro, rotate dial to SCN, done that, but it made no sense to me, far too technical, the manual presumes I already know something about cameras. It is talking about RAW or RAW=JPEG photos and are taken using  e-PORTRAIT.. it  sounds like a foreign language to me. When I realized that my husband was not going to be able to use it shortly after I got it I bought a book called Olympus pen E-PL1  for Dummies which I have in front of me  I remember trying to read it and it irritated the life out of me, about 10 pages in I quit when I read it described as sexy with a lot of muscle.

Maybe I am just a lost cause when it comes to technology

I tried to load the pictures , they are of two cameras mine is the one on the right, and on the right with the back view too.

camera.jpg

camera back.jpg