What's everyone working on?

My camera is an easy to use one, but it does have similar buttons like the ones on the lower right of the backside. Do you see the circle with 4 buttons around it? On my camera, the center button is the select button. The 4 around it allow me to select which flash mode I want (i use auto usually), drive mode (I never use this as I don't make video with mine), focus mode (I use standard, but there is a macro option I really should play around with more), and a mode button, which allows me to select the best mode for the type of photo I want to  take (I use flower mostly, but there's one for snow, landscape, night scene, etc). Does this help?

Jeannine do you have a smart phone or iPad type tablet? That would make it easier because then you don't have to load pictures onto a computer from a camera, you can just take the photo with your phone or tablet. 

Out of curiosity...whatever happened with the Beacon Hill? 

2 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Lord help me, I am caving in and buying a San Fran 557 someone posted on a local Facebook yard sale!!  :doh:

$20!!  She is practically GIVING it to me!! 

Kristina Winters San Fran.jpg

:pepper::banana::carrot::cucumber: 

What a steal! It's going to be soooo happy it lucked out and got you!

• Like 2

Hello everyone.. 

I really missed this board. The last time I posted I said RL got between me and miniatures. Well in June

my husband of 52 years got sick, he later passed away in july. Dealing with that has been difficult.

I have slowly begun to go through my "stash" and hopefully be able to get building and creating again.

I have started today to read all the posts and look at all the wonderful projects everyone is doing.

You all are an inspiration to me, thank you.

Gail    :bear:   

• Like 6

Re the camera I am going to try and study the manual and books and maybe go to the center and have it explained to me. I think I have figured out how to take the pictures and I may be able to get them on my computer, I did do it a few weeks ago but not sure how but it is setting up the album thing I have no clue about

I do have a mobile phone , very basic, it flips down I don't have tablet I don't like them. My phone does have a camera but I don't know how to use it. I don't even know how to use the phone other than press on the list of names in it or answer it when it rings. I don't know if it is smart I know I am not., don't know what an Ipad is either

The Beacon Hill man had advertised the house on ebay as free shipping if you remember but then wanted to dismantle it to keep the cost down. I told him what everyone here said and offered him and out if he wanted to cancel, at first he said no, he would ship it whole in a custom made wood box, then he got the prices..oops and accepted my offer to refund. I did post and say. I got all my money back..

What a wonderful find in your SF house and so cheap too, well done to you

Back to my houses. I made attic beams for the Sugarplum last night and painted them before I went to bed. I started to brick the chimney, wow is that ever picky. The little bricks didn't seem to want to grab the wood.I was using Aleenes tacky maybe there is something better., anyway I made a start.

• Like 1

Hi, Gail and Jeannine—I feel so sad for both of you—new grief is so tough, and so seemingly endless, but I can tell you that it does soften with time—“firsts” are hard—first anniversaries, first birthdays, first holidays, etc., but later special occasions bring wonderful memories of times gone by, and, believe it or not, smiles, and opportunities to create new memories.

I lost my Georgie after 40 years 5 years ago, and am now almost used to his not being there, and able to take each day for what it brings, not just what it doesn’t.

I wish you both peace, and the knowledge that some day, hopefully soon, you’ll wake up and find that the ache has lost a bit of its sting.

Mary Helen

• Like 4

Welcome back Gail! I'm sorry for your loss. 

Jeannine I missed that update about the Beacon Hill, glad to hear you got a refund and it wasn't a big hassle. I love reading your update posts, but putting pictures to your explanations would be so nice. I'm sure if you figure out how to get pictures on the computer we can walk you through creating the albums. Maybe an admin could help..

• Like 2

Thanks Karin, I think I could maybe muddle through and get the pictures on the computer I have done it once but not sure how but I should be able to get it again with a bit of luck but getting the special page for them I don't understand at all.

Mary Helen, thank you for caring , each day brings a new challenge but my faith is strong and I know he has just gone there before me. God has other things for me to do yet I guess. I am glad that things got easier for you eventually. XX

• Like 1

Thank you for your wonderful comments and thoughts

To answer your question Jeannine I work in 1/2"scale so I am going through my stash so

that I can see where to go first. I  have a "village" of 5 houses that some are kinda done and some

need TLC and I started a Gentleman wizard's emporium, made in a Brimble's kit.

Gail  :bear:

Oh how lovely, I love the idea of half scale, in fact I have a Fairfield on the go but it is shelved for the moment as I had a problem finding the type of furniture I had in mind for  it. I just this last week bought  half scale 2 Victoriana's on e bay . The Gentleman's wizard emporium sound fascinating I would like to hear more about that one. I have never had anything to so with wizardry or anything mystic other than reading the Harry Potter books but I have seen some fascinating projects here that have given me ideas I would never thought of on my own.It is good to hear about all these things even if one never gets to do them it is fun to create in one;s head.

I had an idea a few weeks ago about buying a row of tiny houses fro Petit Properties but somehow in thr discussion re shipping I lost the connection with the company, they were going to get back to me and didn't. I think they were 1/4 scale.. They all fit together very neatly and would have sat on a windowsill or shelf.

I've worked on a variety of things today, things I've been stalling on for weeks or months.

I finished the fireplace chimney breast for the dining room of my French Country. Foam board, etc and the inside of the fireplace - with brick wallpaper, then dirtying it up. Then I was able to wallpaper it, and its drying now. Once dry, I will cut the paper out over the opening, and begin the wiring so that I can glue it onto the wall. I've held off finishing crown and baseboards for that wall for way too many months and just need to get it done. I have some lovely sconces from Lumenations By Mr K that I'm anxious to install on this. 

I started the chimney pieces for the exterior of the Chateau, deciding I would use Magic Brik. I painted them with a grey - thinking a texture would be cool for a grout base. After doing this, it occurred to me the tape will probably not adhere well to this :(  so I now have to sand that off and repaint. I also made the brick mixture, using some powder I got from Richard Stacey I think, it was tan. I added colors so it looks like brick colors. When my chimneys get sanded and repainted then I can apply it. 

I also worked on recreating a door frame for my Chateau that I liked better than the one that came with my Chateau. Lawbre changed it at some point and mine was columns on blocks. The nicer one uses their fabulous corbels, and the side trim is just flat, with a small thicker base and picture frame molding. I placed it all together today to see how it looks - pretty close to the original, just using 3/4" x 1/8" strips. 

large.PSX_20171029_185701.jpg.4b27b4c4aa

As I am approaching the end with my Sugarplum the first of my Red Riding Hood trio houses for Joe the woodcutter last night I opened the box of house 2 The Aster which is for Grandmama.I was immediately impressed by the directions which were much more comprehensive than the last two kits I opened and looked a lot easier

. The picture on the box suggests a snowy roof but in fact it is as stucco one to represent thatch. The roof therefore is very fat I think, I am not sure how to feel about that but maybe it will all become clear as I progress.

For the moment I am still bricking the chimney on Joe;s house but it is a slow and painful procedure so I have had to set a goal of 5 rows a day only but I am getting there.

I am undecided wether to jump right in with house number 2 or go back to my Fairfield and do a bit on that .decisione decsisions.It is not like me to leave something unfinished for too long.

If I am to be honest I really should stop all minis and do a thorough tidy in my craft room...ug I have collected so much stuff over the past few weeks I need to box it as to type.

I really love your door Heidi, super.May I ask what your tiles are?

Thanks all on the door frame, I am anxious to get it all painted and installed. 

Jeanine - those are Lawbre slate tiles, typically used with this house. I do love the look!

My next challenge is to paint the door. I want a dark red/rust door like this. I want to remove the door from it's frame but don't see a way to do it. The pins don't have heads and seem deep.

Thoughts?

ChateauDetail.jpg

Edited by miniaddicted
downsized image

31 minutes ago, miniaddicted said:

Here's the closeup of the door pin. I may have to resort to ungluing the frame but I really hate to do that. It seems pretty sturdy.

doorPin.jpg

Xylene will easily melt the glue but I've been successful at getting those deep pins out by chipping out enough of the wood on the bottom pin to get my small needle nose pliers in there. 

3 hours ago, Sable said:

Xylene will easily melt the glue but I've been successful at getting those deep pins out by chipping out enough of the wood on the bottom pin to get my small needle nose pliers in there. 

Thanks Sable, I will try to extract the pin first.