What's everyone working on?

I took the plunge and tried something, it used to work on ceramics. I mixed someplace  grey and black acrylic  with water to make a very dilute wash and have painted it on the table and benches, right now it is a sort of grey/blue color but the wood is clearly visible through it, I will leave it over night then see what I decide next depending on how it dries.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I had said earlier he played an instrument  and was thrilled to receive the sweetest little violin in the mail, now I just need music and a stand.

Music, of course, but a stand? Sounds a bit uptown for a rustic cabin. Maybe a piece of wood (narrow shelf) nailed to the wall to hold propped up sheet music and/or a music book? Or maybe he props the music against his water pitcher of some other item at hand?

Edit: He may, of course, have built a stand of wood. I was thinking of a metal music stand when I wrote the above.

• Kathie, my Joe might be a country bumpkin but he  has some couth you know, he doesn't even drink out of the milk bottle when he knows no one can see
  •  You wait till you see his best going to church on Sunday suit and ensemble hanging on a coat hanger on his bedroom wall. hos beloved mama brung him up right

38 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

he  has some couth

I'll grant him couth, all right, but couth and affectation don't normally go hand in hand. I see Joe as someone who would heed social protocol and dress well for church yet has no need for unnecessary chic. He is, after all, quite comfortable in his rustic setting and quite accustomed to simple solutions to his needs and life's challenges. 

Pictures, please! :) 

After 7-8 years of storage, we found a spot where the Christmas coattage (Aster cottage)  can reside over the olidays. So today has been bringing it upstairs and unwrapping all things that go i to it to see what needs to be fixed and/or added. Still need to find a window trim as well as one of the Doors and how on earth the bottom Bay window is finished, but other than that most of the things have stored ok. Need to add a little something to hide the roof tabs though. 

Then I Will finally need to do a little something for the exterior, maybe a little Reindeer hut and an outhouse. And add some winter greenery too....

large.IMG_0886.JPG.3d501a1eced0a3d71a28dlarge.IMG_0892.JPG.cc57adbb0beaba26dc0d0

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Thank you, I am off down the hole right now

Wow, don't they make it look easy.I had a quick look at the second link, the Mother Goose  it was very interesting. The first lady aging the wood looked so supremely confident. I find it amazing that folks can do all this as if they were chopping veggies!!

I was worried when watching the video that she had the bottles way too close to the edge of the counter. If it were me, I'd surely knock it off with my elbow and create a disaster!

aging. I ,liked the way the very watery wash looked on Joe's table and benches, I did another watery wash on top  in a medium brown, all transparent but the color clings here and there. After that dried I have dry brushed it with a darker brown very gently and tomorrow I wil put a matte sealer on it. For the first time playing with color on wood it is not bad but it has given me something to build on to get a decent technique worked out. I does look very rustic. Camera is on charge.

• Like 1

When I use India ink & isopropyl alcohol I start with four drops in about 1/3 cup of alcohol and test the results on a piece of scrap wood, adding ink a drop at a time, until it dries to the color I want.  If you want a less silvery aging appearance to your wood some people let a bit of fine steel wool disintegrate in a jar of white vinegar; be sure to poke lots of holes in the jar lid, or else cover it with a piece of loose-weave fabric & a rubber band.  I live with the silvery color because I'm not that patient; the steel wool & vinegar takes a while before it's ready.

Sounds like you are making great progress Jeannine. 

As for me, I had a go at making an outhouse for the Santa's cottage . Interori is papperet with a news paper printie wallpaper. 

Still need to add a light source, some "paper" and we'll see what Elise might fit there :) it has been fun, Now to decide upon what the roof should look,like.large.IMG_0899.JPG.801cdaa5f62652a4aea52

25 minutes ago, Anna said:

Still need to add a light source

Really? Isn't the light source a the half moon cut out of the door? Or a flashlight, lantern, or candle at night? (Or one used the thunder mug on the porch and dump it come daylight. :D ) Maybe a battery-powered lantern hanging on a hook inside?

28 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Really? Isn't the light source a the half moon cut out of the door? Or a flashlight, lantern, or candle at night? (Or one used the thunder mug on the porch and dump it come daylight. :D ) Maybe a battery-powered lantern hanging on a hook inside?

I were contemplating the candle at night Idea, or a hurrican light, one might not want the Santas to risk slipping on the ice huh?!? Might make a difficult sleigh ride LOL

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Anna said:

I were contemplating the candle at night Idea, or a hurrican light, one might not want the Santas to risk slipping on the ice huh?!? Might make a difficult sleigh ride LOL

Absolutely! :D 

@Jeannine have you decided yet from which mold the woodcutter will come to life?  I never thought I would want man dolls (lol) because typically their faces look like ladies with a moustache and their clothes look baggy and sloppy, but I've recently seen some very masculine ones with gorgeous fitted costumes. Now I'm thinking I'd like a male counterpart to a Marie Antoinette (future project). 

No not yet, I was waiting for the molds to arrive. I did pour a couple of the dolls I have here last night, actually a throw away as the molds have sat for 20 years but I didn't pour the men yet . It is a good idea to give it some thought though as I could start pulling out potential fabrics.I would have to go back on the sites and look at the pictures again, 2 sites OK, 1 not still!! I am not sure which ones are enroute as some have to follow from I source but the other one the order is coming  complete. I should   know in a couple of days. I did buy male character heads not the usual frozen faces so there has to be a Joe among them hopefully, unless he is in the ?? batch. Wouldn't that be just great!!

I would like to see what you do with a man your ladies are so well done. Maroe Antioinetee , wouldn't her mate be Louis. white wig and buckle shoes comes to mind.

I want Joe to be  chunky with a kind but not pretty face, worldly but sweet a Santa sort of face maybe and I did order a Santa from one of them.

We will see soon.

The work on my Chateau front exterior continues. I was able to remove the door from its glued frame with Xylene, and paint it. This picture has the door and frame placed, not attached but it gives the visual and I love it! I ordered more stones from Lawbre to finish the courtyard wall, need to paint it to match. Notice my patina lions! 

Sometimes its 2 steps ahead, and 1 step behind....On my French Country, I had all the fireplace and sconce lighting working and I was cutting baseboard. I had noticed the floor overhung on the front of the house about an 1/8 inch and slid it out to trim the back. I hosed my wiring job when sliding it back in. :( While groaning and trying to figure out how I could fix, I noticed that none of the 2nd or 3rd floor lights were working either :(:( I started to panic but was able to deduce it was the lead going upstairs. I was able to slide out the foyer floor, and add another cross run of tape, joining the run that goes upstairs - that took care of that - whew!

I still have to fix the dining room sconces and fireplace lighting. So...I decided to again change the kitchen wallpaper. I've been struggling with what to put in there. I had a few papers picked out, and oddly enough my local shop had a house they were papering for a customer, with one of those choices in it. That sealed the deal and I ordered it. So.....since I will be removing the kitchen paper, I can rewire the dining room sconces through the wall into the kitchen before I paper. I may also remove the paper from the fireplace wall, and then I'd have access to all the wiring. Then, I'd reinstall the chimney breast and paper over it as I wallpaper the wall, the right way of doing it. 

So now I'm looking at removing all the crown I just put up on that wall....

24657456778_e305f0f5ad_k.jpg

1 hour ago, miniaddicted said:

The work on my Chateau front exterior continues. I was able to remove the door from its glued frame with Xylene, and paint it. This picture has the door and frame placed, not attached but it gives the visual and I love it! I ordered more stones from Lawbre to finish the courtyard wall, need to paint it to match. Notice my patina lions! 

Sometimes its 2 steps ahead, and 1 step behind....On my French Country, I had all the fireplace and sconce lighting working and I was cutting baseboard. I had noticed the floor overhung on the front of the house about an 1/8 inch and slid it out to trim the back. I hosed my wiring job when sliding it back in. :( While groaning and trying to figure out how I could fix, I noticed that none of the 2nd or 3rd floor lights were working either :(:( I started to panic but was able to deduce it was the lead going upstairs. I was able to slide out the foyer floor, and add another cross run of tape, joining the run that goes upstairs - that took care of that - whew!

I still have to fix the dining room sconces and fireplace lighting. So...I decided to again change the kitchen wallpaper. I've been struggling with what to put in there. I had a few papers picked out, and oddly enough my local shop had a house they were papering for a customer, with one of those choices in it. That sealed the deal and I ordered it. So.....since I will be removing the kitchen paper, I can rewire the dining room sconces through the wall into the kitchen before I paper. I may also remove the paper from the fireplace wall, and then I'd have access to all the wiring. Then, I'd reinstall the chimney breast and paper over it as I wallpaper the wall, the right way of doing it. 

So now I'm looking at removing all the crown I just put up on that wall....

24657456778_e305f0f5ad_k.jpg

I just love this house . it's really looking fantastic

Thanks Nell, I love how it's coming too!

French Country Manor update: Kitchen wallpaper has been completely removed, and dining room paper on the one wall and chimney breast stripped. Crown moldings off as well. 

Plan is to attach stripped chimney breast, drill holes through to kitchen. Then paper the wall and breast as one. Then locate holes, feed wires through to kitchen and connect. Once all electric is working reinstall crown moldings.

I was lucky to grab a couple more sheets of dining room paper from local shop. My kitchen paper should arrive by Saturday so I can work on that next. 

I'm happy to say I got the dining room wallpaper, chimney breast and lighting all back up. Just have to add the crown moldings again. I also got the wallpaper for the kitchen, and was thrilled to get that up. I'm now finally happy with my choice!

I hope this inspires me to finally select the papers for the last 2 rooms on the 3rd floor, and then start on my kitchen cabinets.

26850739849_90dfe8203b.jpg

• Like 1

• Just opened the box for the Glencroft and I have a question for Holly. Holly I seem to remember you writing that you had some problem with this one, I think it was the roof, do you have any suggestions before I start, this house will be wallpapered, some paint and some stain. I am not planning on changing it at all unless I come across something during the build or dry build.