What's everyone working on?

6 hours ago, Jeannine said:
  • Just opened the box for the Glencroft and I have a question for Holly. Holly I seem to remember you writing that you had some problem with this one, I think it was the roof, do you have any suggestions before I start, this house will be wallpapered, some paint and some stain. I am not planning on changing it at all unless I come across something during the build or dry build.

The roof "problem" was that the solar UV bleached my lovely slate-colored construction paper roof tan, which I have repainted.  The other problems, which I discuss at boring length in my part of the Team Glencroft building blog included a boo-boo with the ceiling beam by the stairs, which our Tracy picked up on and I fixed:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=entry&id=241   I also had an issue with the front yard:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=entry&id=301

1 hour ago, miniaddicted said:

I got motivated and papered the 3rd floor bedroom in my French Country. I still need to add chair rail, crown, baseboard etc...I also wired the chandelier. Looking good!

38641758491_5fbc8e04b0_k.jpg

It looks lovely! The chandelier is beautiful.. I have that day bed in white.. One of my favourites. :) 

I'm working on...buying kits! Been on a bit of a binge lately. No spectacular bargains, but have been browsing and snatched up a few that were a good price. The Buttercup, the Duracraft Tudor, a Tiffani, and a Sugarplum. No idea what any of them will be, but it would be fun to try and bash a few together. Or just make a bunch of cottages. Or maybe I just have a shopping problem. LOL!!!

• Like 2

I am busily working on making bathroom fixtures for Brimble's owner's apartment and then I can tackle the roofs (not sure I like the porch's roof, I put felt for tarpaper on the flat roof nd letting it sit there and stare back at me).  I'm going to ask DS#2 to shoot some "in progress" pictures for me when he's here next week.

Lawanda, I'm looking forward to meeting up with you when y'all get moved to Ocean Springs.

• Like 1

Since I finished the Sweet Christmas Cottage, I've gotten it set up on a table between the kitchen/family room on a turntable. Then I cleaned and reorganized my work room aka dining room. Then I spent a few days making birthday/Christmas gifts, then cleaned my work room again. Now I have all of the gifts and wrap and assorted paraphernalia on and around the work room table, and I'll be spending the next several days wrapping, re-stringing and repairing ornaments, and decorating the SMALL tree. I am not going to put the big one up again this year. No little ones in the family, and my parents (are just moving into the second home they bought in Arizona since July so) won't be coming back to WA for the holidays. K.I.S.S.? Even when I try it is still complicated doing anything this time of year!

• Like 1

Holly, it' a foux velvet scraps.  I covered 6 real chair seats for the antique set I gave my daughter. It was on clearance at hobby lobby .  Normal cost 14.00 per yard.  Paid less than half.  I cheated on the tuffting.   Lol.    It's sewing pins stuck into the foam core.  

I added "snow to the gingerbread house and set it on a covered piece of foam core 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎11‎:‎15‎, miniaddicted said:

I got motivated and papered the 3rd floor bedroom in my French Country. I still need to add chair rail, crown, baseboard etc...I also wired the chandelier. Looking good!

38641758491_5fbc8e04b0_k.jpg

Its so sleek! everything is gorgeous, love that chandelier!!!

I for one can't wait to see Jeannine's woodsman come to life. And any other characters. So obsessed with dollmaking right now, my husband was tired of hearing about it and bought me a kiln for Christmas :) probably won't arrive until after the holidays tho. Now I'm going through the laundry list of things Ill need to actually materialize a doll..porcelain slip, china paint, molds, etc. Jeannine has been incredibly helpful in getting me started. 

• Like 2

My pleasure Karin as I told you in a PM and worth repeating here. It  is a   huge thrill when you open your first kiln after your first  firing and see how the pieces have changed.

I hope you new venture is all you want it to be and it gives you lost of pleasure. Having seen some of your creations I know you will quickly get the hang of it.

Well thanks Jeannine, as I told my husband it just pushes all of my buttons, the creativity, the painting, the wigging, the historical costuming, the sewing. Just seeing the dolls come to life. I've bought some really neat Dover books on amazon about fashion/costuming. Among them, this incredible book called Victorian Fashions and Costumes from Harpers Bazar 1867-1898. It was recommended by many porcelain mini doll artists.  I have a new interest in the history of fashion, it's so interesting. Also spending a lot of time just searching through images of 1/12 dolls on Pinterest, studying the clothes to try to get an understanding of what works and what doesn't and what works really, really well :) 

• Like 1

It is like wonderland right!!

Your kiln may be big enough to do a regular sized doll too, Not one with a full  body as it will have long legs but one that has a shoulder plate, half legs and half arms and a head/ There are some pretty good ones on e bay as used right now..  bad girl me..just don't get huge ones. A finished head is about 20 % smaller than an unfired head so bear that in mind.

• Like 1

I am currently working on the exterior of my Beetlejuice house.

I scored this house for ONE DOLLAR a couple years ago at a thrift shop! 

I've worked on the inside alot because that part is always more fun for me. But I realized that if I ever want to display it anywhere, the exterior needs alot of work.

So I am using the tut by our own member Amber Celeste on cardboard strip siding. Her house looks awesome! I've only done a small portion so far, and I think it looks okay but it is tedious with a capital T.

At this rate, it's going to take me forever to side the entire house. :(

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

,,,it is tedious with a capital T.

At this rate, it's going to take me forever to side the entire house. :(

Inch by inch its  cinch, but by the yard it's hard.  I like the tedious bits because I zone out and have long, lovely conversations with the house.

• Like 2

I just want to start the day by saying how talented and creative everyone is! I've been buying up these humble kits (Sugarplum, Buttercup, etc.) and have been browsing the web to get ideas. Every single house that has made me say "WOW"  belongs to a member here! Ideas I never would have thought of, design choices that make the house sing, creative solutions to small spaces, color choices that are spot on perfect, all of it just really, really good work! So glad to belong to this group!   

• Like 3