What's everyone working on?

I have FINALLY started on Bimble's roof, primed the underside of the dormer sections and went back to reglue & begin stapling the roof top.  I'm reasonably sure I'm going to slap a layer of felt on it for the look of a tarred flat roof.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I would second that, there is an incredible amount of talent on this site and the best part is they share it . It is not like that in all crafts in fact some are downright secretive LOL

That is so true!  

This weekend I finally started furnishing the Gingerbread Buttercup that I completed many many years ago, probably 6 or more. I was able to find a Hallmark oven and fridge, so those fit in there nicely. I need to make a work table of some sort, but I couldn't find my wood scraps. I have one piece that is mostly the right size, so I just need to find some legs. I have some fancy skinny ones, but not sure how those will work. I have considered covering the bottom with a fabric skirt, then the legs won't matter. I need to make some chairs, and decorate the tree. But I think the bottom floor can be ready for Christmas. Santa is in place checking his list, and Mrs. Claus is drinking her cocoa while the cookies are baking.

Now, the top floor... I still don't know what I want to do with that area. Bedroom? Workshop? Combination of both?

But at least there's some progress!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Now, the top floor... I still don't know what I want to do with that area. Bedroom? Workshop? Combination of both?

Bedroom. Too small to include workshop, which is no doubt in another building. anyway. With elves tramping through the kitchen to get to work, Mrs. Claus would face a never ending task of baking cookies!  :D 

• Like 1

I have started on a Houseworks Two Room roombox kit that I bought when they went on clearance a couple years ago. I think I paid $9.99? There are no tabs, slots or grooves. The wood is very thin luan plywood - very rough and pretty warped. I used a lot of weights, tape and clamps to hold it together, fairly plumb and square, while the Gorilla wood glue dried. I don't know how many Gorillas had to give their life for my structure, but it seemed like a lot! :ohyeah:

1 hour ago, My Miniature Madness said:

I don't know how many Gorillas had to give their life for my structure, but it seemed like a lot! :ohyeah:

Ha Ha...that is cute!

When I was a kid, I thought Elmer's glue came straight from a cow's udder.....I guess the cow on the bottle is a bull???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

Ha Ha...that is cute!

When I was a kid, I thought Elmer's glue came straight from a cow's udder.....I guess the cow on the bottle is a bull???

If it's Elmer's, the picture is a bull.  Elsie is the cow; they are both trademarks of Borden's.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

If it's Elmer's, the picture is a bull.  Elsie is the cow; they are both trademarks of Borden's.

Right. It is my understanding that in a rare (and very early) example of gender non-discrimination, Elmer handles the dairy end of the business and Elsie the commercial chemicals division, which includes glue and non-dairy creamers. Yet whose picture is on the glue bottles? Yeah, the guy grabs the spotlight from the little lady, maybe because it sells more bottles of the stuff to male woodworkers? :D 

See more of Elsie's story here

• Like 2

My MIL's name is Elsie, so has collected anything "Elsie the Borden Cow" her entire life. She's 71 now. It's quite a collection and surprisingly, some of it fetches quite a lot of money from collectors. Everything from milk bottles and milking buckets to dishes. There's truly something for everyone...

On 12/9/2017, 8:41:32, havanaholly said:

Inch by inch its  cinch, but by the yard it's hard.  I like the tedious bits because I zone out and have long, lovely conversations with the house.

You were right, Holly.

Now that I am moving along, it's not awful. Working on the exterior will never be my favorite part, but at least I am learning a new technique, so I can make my dh's look as nice as possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Still steaming away on the cabbage rose rug. I've got all the main colors done, just need to fill in the soft ivory background. I'm about 60% done, go me!

Go you, indeed!  Do share a picture when you're done.  What method are you using on your rug? French knots? Bunka? Other?

3 hours ago, blueirishmoon said:

Hi Holly! It's been needlepoint, needlepoint, here for months. I've gone needlepoint bonkers! Every year I set myself a goal of 4 stitching projects done by the end of the year, minimum.

Now I'm really looking forward!  I have covered a scrap of red linen I found at one of our thrift store with mini rugs for Brimble's, also all needlepointed (petit pointed, I guess).

Cleaned out my craft room today and tried to reorganise it a bit... Still a long way to go but at least I can see the floor now. :D 

I seem to have accumulated quite the stash of random materials for making minis and I'm having trouble storing it all.. might need to whittle it down a bit. I'm in dire need of storage solutions and I seem to have all the wrong size.. :rolleyes:  Tonight I'm going to break out the dymo and label everything.. I'm sick of spending half of a precious crafting day tearing the room apart looking for a particular thing I need. 

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

Cleaned out my craft room today and tried to reorganise it a bit... Still a long way to go but at least I can see the floor now. :D 

I seem to have accumulated quite the stash of random materials for making minis and I'm having trouble storing it all.. might need to whittle it down a bit. I'm in dire need of storage solutions and I seem to have all the wrong size.. :rolleyes:  Tonight I'm going to break out the dymo and label everything.. I'm sick of spending half of a precious crafting day tearing the room apart looking for a particular thing I need. 

Never ending battle. Then when I consider that if I make every kit I have stashed, structure, furniture or accessory, it will take up even more room! What then? I might have to make things for fun then give them away at some point!

Good luck in your organizing endeavor!

3 hours ago, My Miniature Madness said:

Walls are up and one half of the room box claded. Only three slivers but boy do they hurt! Even with my 4x magnifying glasses I can't see the little buggers to get them out!

Ouch! Get some drawing salve at the pharmacy. It will help eject the splinters so you can grab 'em with tweezers. I did a quick Google and found it at Walmart and Walgreens, among other places.

5 hours ago, KathieB said:

Ouch! Get some drawing salve at the pharmacy. It will help eject the splinters so you can grab 'em with tweezers. I did a quick Google and found it at Walmart and Walgreens, among other places.

I definitely will Kathie - thank you! It will be good to have around, as I am always removing slivers from the hubs too! We both contend with dangerous working conditions in our hobbies! 

Harbor Freight sells loupes really, really cheap and in addition to mini needlework I wear mine for the removal of miniscule splinters.  In addition to the drawing salve that might be a handy thing to keep by.

7 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Harbor Freight sells loupes really, really cheap and in addition to mini needlework I wear mine for the removal of miniscule splinters.  In addition to the drawing salve that might be a handy thing to keep by.

That's a great idea Holly! You should see the two of us sometimes. Both of us with our glasses on, my 4x magnifiers clipped to mine, Russ holding the hand magnifier and one of us holding the cell phone with the flashlight on, arguing over who's going to hold the tweezers. From the outside, we ARE that old blind bickering couple that we used to snicker at!

• Like 2