What's everyone working on?

37 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Hope you get it out.  Had one get away from me.  Infection and surgery followed.  Finger is still messed up

Oh nooooo! That's not good Lawanda! What on Earth did you get the sliver from?

After reading Kathy's link, I put lotion on, let it soak in for a while, then went at them again! It feels like I finally got them, though I only saw one come out. I just scratched at them until it didn't hurt anymore.

Today I've been trimming out the basement interior of the San Franciscan. I've finally finished all of the baseboard, cornice, window & door trims. Phew! Just a little bit of spackling left to do and then I need to put door and window hardware on and install the lighting. 

I've also been working on the basement kitchenette. I bought one of those oven kits from Elf Miniatures and boy has it been the bain of my life!!! It started off well but then trying to glue the little knobs on without getting glue everywhere... $%^##$%$#%!!! Many magic words later and I've lost two of the knobs.. they flung off into the nether regions of the craft room never to be seen again.. (well, at least until I vacuum.. then I'll find them quick smart. :rolleyes: ).. I got glue everywhere and have scratched the surface of the metal trim... honestly I don't even care.. It's going in, because I'm not going through that process again... I like the kits, but they are beyond my skill or patience level... Next time I'll pay them a million dollars to construct it for me. (in monopoly money of course. :bleh: )

IMG_3928.JPG

Some progress on my first build: 

At long last, I have started dry fitting the wall paper and beadboard. The window casing, board, and chair rail (not photographed) aren't painted yet, but I wanted to test the scale and texture of the (Shizen) paper before gluing it down. The unpainted wood will be a flat, relatively neutral beige. The base color beneath the fancy print on the wallpaper is much closer to a warm beige than a cooler, bluer white (the flash brightens the color quite a bit). 

Isn't that paper wild!

20171211_173731~2.jpg

20171211_173745~2.jpg

• Like 1

I've always been attracted to those old inglenook fireplaces with benches and a window inside of them. A while ago I ran across an old painting of a cottage interior with a fireplace that was just perfect. I happened to have an old room box I'd barely started and abandoned years ago, so I decided to turn it into a cottage room. Here's what it looks like so far, now that I have a door, windows and walls in place. I'm going to put in a brick floor, so for now I just painted the floor a brick color.

IMG_2287.JPG

• Like 3

I was able to finish my Christmas scene. Merry Christmas everyone! 

Also, just have to say the beautiful vintage silk that I used to make Brett's gown was gifted to me by Jeannine. I coffee dyed the lace to match. It makes her more special to me that a member from our family here contributed so nicely to the scene. 

IMG_7567.JPG

• Like 2

Karin you turned those bits of fabric into a lovely gown,it was my pleasure to send it. It came from an old sari donated to V V . Great job of recycling

Your doll looks beautiful. I can see you turning out some extra exquisite  people when you get that kiln working after Christmas., The little person looks super too, she is looking straight at us you made a fantastic job. Have you given the little person a name yet?

• Like 1

So, the Steampunk house has been on the back burner for a while as I have gathered ideas and been collecting "stuff" for it as well to be able to get the look I have in my mind's eye. Still not sure if i Will be able to get that though, but working on it. Then while clicking through some stuff over on EBay I stumbled upon one of those action figures, this  one is of the 10th Doctor Who, in a Tuxedo... I allready had planned for Madame Vastra to be In it so all of a Sudden another figure is on its way over here... :) now to get back to figuring out the hiccups in the interior decorating scheme.

Been fiddling/playing with a neat 3D pen over the last few days, it Will take some doing getting used to it, but ohhhh, the possibilities! I can see it work like a charm building up tree stems and tree trunks, bonsais even. And then with some more practise scrolled iron work too, need to get the flow right though and keep a steady hand...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

That would be my drawback.

As I am Left-handed I see that I can work from the right to the Left of the objekt and when doing so I keep the base of the hand lihtly on the surface and it help a Lot. It is also possible to stop and reastart with a tiny "dab" with the nozzle. Now I am thinking it might work to add habdles and spouts on 3D printer thingies too. 

I've painted the walls, finished the brick floor, and made a stone hearth out of styrofoam and dry wall compound. The bricks are cut from stripwood. After I made the first batch of bricks and glued them down I put the bottle of burnt sienna paint aside for when I did the next batch of bricks. When I was ready to paint the stripwood I couldn't find the bottle I'd set aside. After much searching, I figured I must have absentmindedly put the bottle away. I should have remembered I have 2 bottles of burnt sienna and they differ from each other completely. You know I made the rest of the bricks with the wrong one. After the bricks were all glued down I found the original paint behind my postal scale.:doh: I got the bricks to match up by giving them all a wash of burnt sienna #1, followed by a wash of burnt sienna #2. This afternoon I started working on the ceiling. I'm making timbers out of more styrofoam, I've got a nice stash of assorted styrofoam sheets. They won't take them in the recycling, and it costs too much to throw them away (we pay by the bag) so I've been saving them for years, figuring they'll come in handy for miniature building. 

IMG_2292 (2).JPG

• Like 2

Grazhina, that floor is fabulous!! I think the multiple washes gave the bricks a depth they wouldn't have had otherwise, so happy accident!

So, I've been collecting kits lately...and just got a Fairfield! Gah!! I do really love that house, and have always wished it came in 1:12 scale. It was one of the first houses I swooned over when I started all of this. BUT...half scale? What am I doing? That's a whole new rabbit hole to fall down into.

I had planned to drive across town after a long day at work and pay too much money for an ill-finished Tiffani, but thankfully, the seller flaked and didn't email me back until it was too late to turn back. Think I'd rather build it from scratch and save the $$, rather than undoing another rehab. And I'm tired and grumpy tonight.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone! Oh my goodness you have all been so busy! Seems I have only "been away" for a week and missed so much! I'll be looking forward to catching up on everything as all this holiday business finally slows down next week. I am so excited to see everyone's project photos! It has been all family all the time around here, so the only mini fun has been moments spent trying to organize the workroom. My table looks like I am having a garage sale! Hugs and Happy New Year to you all!

Samantha I was just thinking about you and your knobs and laughing.. sounds as daft as what I have just done.

I picked up a set of  porcelain molds for a 19 piece  mini nativity set today and was just itching to see what it  looked like, so I poured them .The tallest piece might be close to an inch and that is standing up, the baby sheep are no bigger than peas.  The set  will shrink about 20% when fired by the way.Ok so there I am pouring liquid clay into a mold with a pour hole about an 1/8 wide which of course bunged up immediately, and it just happened to be the star of the scene himself.  When I opened it , it  hadn't filled  so was useless, so I did it again, and again, then with a bit of tweaking and a few gentle cusses,( this was Baby Jesus after all,) I managed to get one out whole, and yes he is in the manger and no I am not taking him out. Now just when I was  feeling quite proud of myself I poured another set, still enhancing the procedure with a few ill chosen words. I now have 2 complete sets drying, then in a couple of days they could go in the kiln when cleaned . As I am banding the molds up I whispered to Baby Jesus, gotcha, see I can be super human too!!  Then I walked away feeling quite smug till.oops ..I remembered I had poured  all 38 pieces  in pink doll flesh instead of white

The moral of this story is....if you ever have to help baby Jesus into  this world..don't cuss

• Like 6