What's everyone working on?

I had a foot warmer for a while, guess it quit, when I sit in the living room I use one of those sunbeam electric throws, keeps me warm and toasty in this cold drafty house!  

One of the Asters came today, I didn't get much of a chance to play as I worked in the barn most of the day, maybe this weekend when it is too cold to be out!

I love my sunbeam electric throw. I bought a second one for Christmas but it must be defective since I can’t get it to work. I switched cords from my old one but that didn’t solve the problem. Something is wrong with the throw itself.  I suspect I have a touch of Raynauds. When the temp goes below 65, my feet get cold even with shoes on. That’s why I have the throw at the foot of my bed. 

• Like 1

Hi Everyone!   I've been absent without leave for a while now.  Just busy!    I have been trying to learn to needle felt I thought it would be a good skill so I can make my own residents to live in my dollhouses.   I've managed to make a little mouse.   My left hand is kind of sore from stabbing myself so many times!!!   I have to add whiskers and a tail and then I will post my first project.    I found a little wooden play house in Tuesday Morning a few weeks ago so I am going to make it a Mouse House for my new critters.  
Hope everyone is staying warm and you all had a good holiday! 

Here's my first ever needle felting Mouse.  He's standing on the porch of my Orchid for size about 2.5 inches

26195320_10210474304595518_1194823970173815593_n.jpg

• Like 4

Thought this was as good a place as any to remind people that broken Christmas tree ornaments can still offer up minis.  The metal end cap on the Xmas tree balls can be cut with scissors, and used for many miniature purposes.  Belt buckles, "brass" corners on trunks, handbag clasps, etc.  If the ball is broken, you get the bonus of ornate metal trim for your minis! 

Great suggestion Rosalind!   I didn't break any this year but 2 years ago our tree fell over and broke all my glass ornaments!  We were watching TV and all of a sudden it started to tip. We just sat there too stunned to do anything about it!   We now have an artificial tree and plastic ornaments!  lol

15 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

That mouse is wonderful!!

OK, officially kit hoarding now....add a Lafayette to the stash. Good grief! What am I doing?

When you figure it out, please share with me. I tell my self, "this is the last one" and is never is true.

• Like 1

Yes the wee mousey is super .  No  more talk of hoarding I have run out of space under my sofas. my linen closet is now a dollhouse and doll mold  store cupboard, the spare linens havwe had to go to the thrift store anymore boxes  and I will have to keep them in the bath

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Yes the wee mousey is super .  No  more talk of hoarding I have run out of space under my sofas. my linen closet is now a dollhouse and doll mold  store cupboard, the spare linens havwe had to go to the thrift store anymore boxes  and I will have to keep them in the bath

You only need one set of sheets per bed. You can store a clean set under the mattress, but who can lift up a heavy mattress. Just wash them and put the same set back on!

• Like 1

That is exactly what I do..except. I don't have a top sheet, I have a down duvet with a duvet cover so the cover gets washed weekly, However I do keep I odd fitted bottom sheet and I odd pillowcase  in my socks drawer because it has been known to happen that  I go to bed and remember the linen is still in the washing machine..wet, so they come in handy. Same with the bathroom towels, I change the one on the pretty ring everyday but I have three hanging on a rail that never get used. I have a couple of old thin ones that go round my wet hair and I climb into a toweling robe rather than dry myself,. Still the three come off the rail and go in the washer every week.

So sorry for all the Gallery spam. I finally took the time to upload pictures of things I've worked on the last year or so. I found that I quite enjoy the smaller scales. Although I don't think I care to do another 1:288 scale structure! I've also done a few 1:48 scale things that i haven't taken pictures of, now that I have figures out how to do galleries from my phone, I'll try to get those up soon.

Some of you may remember that back in April I was working on a Victoria's Farmhouse that I decided 4 weeks before to donate to an auction. We fought a little, and after staying up until 3am on auction day to finish, I didn't want to have much else to do with it. Well those pictures are up now too.

• Like 2

While waiting for my replacement shingles to arrive for Joe's house. I have dismantled the UK mystery house that was screwed together and it is sitting on my worktable right now. I have ripped out the stuck down carpets and can now get to the wallpapers that were put on before assembly. Tomorrow I shall try stripping the walls so I can get to putting it back together again , this time with glue, siding etc.I was lucky with the shingles, there were bits missing but they turned up in the bag of bits that came with it. It is quite a nice sturdy little 3 floored house so it may end up as something seasonal or at least themed ,, maybe a nursery rhyme or something, I feel better now I have started it as I have been giving it mean looks for too long.

• Like 2

So, I'll just refer to all of those kits as "the collection" from now on. At least the flat pack kits are fairly easy to store. I have a shelf in the garage that holds a LOT of them!

I have house fever...had been playing with the idea of a Scandinavian Christmas build for a while, but now can't stop thinking of it, so it MUST be started. Was going to use a little Bobbi kit, as I don't really want a big structure for a seasonal project. But now I wonder if the Bobbi is just too small. Room sizes are similar to an Orchid, which is OK, but don't know if I can squeeze all I want to in there. I do have the Bobbi's big sister kit, a Cambridge. It's a bit bigger, and has more architectural do-dads which could be left off or adapted to suit the simple style I want. But is it too big? I think sometime this weekend I'll dry fit both of them and try out some furniture pieces and see what I get. I do have ALL of those other kits to choose from, but none of the architecture seems right for this build.    

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

I have house fever...had been playing with the idea of a Scandinavian Christmas build for a while, but now can't stop thinking of it, so it MUST be started.

I want to do a Scandinavian/Swedish Christmas build too.. I'm going to be watching yours for ideas. :D 

I am twiddling my thumbs waiting for the second aster to arrive, well not twiddling, there is a mountain of snow out there, not looking forward to wading the drift in front of the barn to get to the tractor, it is up to my chest, maybe shovel first but too impatient lol  The other thing is I really need to clean other projects off the table, so I decided to start putting things away a little at a time and by the time the Aster gets here it will be ready.  I may do a little sanding out in the workshop today is is way warmer 23 degrees so I won't freeze.

I really have to hand it to the UPS guy, he waded through the snow that blocks the driveway which is about 6', and then all the way down into the courtyard and through the drift that always goes across the porch entrance to put the package on my porch, all that for a new filter to my ash vac!  Guess I will be spending time on the tractor this afternoon!

• Like 1

Pros and cons of the Madison vs. Cambridge...Madison looks like it has a generous living room space, which is what I want. It also has the simplicity that I think this build needs. I would leave out the top floor divider and just have living room, kitchen/dining and top floor bedroom. On the other hand...Cambridge has those second floor soaring, peaked ceilings that I could have a lot of fun with adding beams and planks and such.

Hmmmm. Going to dry fit the Bobbi, Cambridge, and buy a Madison kit and try out all three to see which one speaks to me. My Cambridge kit came from an estate sale, and is missing a lot of trim, doors, etc. Also don't know how I feel about those balconies...

15 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Pros and cons of the Madison vs. Cambridge...Madison looks like it has a generous living room space, which is what I want. It also has the simplicity that I think this build needs. I would leave out the top floor divider and just have living room, kitchen/dining and top floor bedroom. On the other hand...Cambridge has those second floor soaring, peaked ceilings that I could have a lot of fun with adding beams and planks and such.

Hmmmm. Going to dry fit the Bobbi, Cambridge, and buy a Madison kit and try out all three to see which one speaks to me. My Cambridge kit came from an estate sale, and is missing a lot of trim, doors, etc. Also don't know how I feel about those balconies...

Is this the Dura-craft madison, or GL?

OK, did the dry fit on the Allison/Cambridge. Nice sized house, but I think it's much bigger than what I had in mind. And I think it wants to be a Gothic revival house. That second floor has a LOT of potential. Going to put the Bobbi back together and wait on the Madison kit. Meanwhile, making lists, doing that stream of consciousness thing that I do when a house haunts me.