What's everyone working on?

11 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I love the way you phrased that. 

Thanks! That's how I do it, though. Once the idea is planted, it kind of starts to grow and take off, so my mind wanders through the project, planning. And for me, it really is a stream of consciousness thing. I have random thoughts, images, colors, textures, details that sort of pour out. I can see so much of it in my head, so translating that into the build is where it gets tricky. Every house always, always gets a notebook, and I'll tote the notebook around with me and jot down whatever comes to me.

I've been browsing light fixtures for the Yellow House, looking at chandeliers. Besides being put off by the insane prices, nothing felt "right." Looking back in my notebook the other day, I have written "simple" at least a dozen times...I think I need to stop looking at all of the crystal draped fixtures and look in another direction.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Once the idea is planted, it kind of starts to grow and take off, so my mind wanders through the project, planning. And for me, it really is a stream of consciousness thing. I have random thoughts, images, colors, textures, details that sort of pour out. I can see so much of it in my head, so translating that into the build is where it gets tricky. Every house always, always gets a notebook, and I'll tote the notebook around with me and jot down whatever comes to me.

I'm not disciplined enough to use a notebook, but this is the process I go through as well. It surely is the house talking to me. 

• Like 2

Speaking of processes... i am one of those p doenw sketcher in the sketch pad or wherever it is a free space to doodle on.. then I have these more specific notebooks where I scribble, doodle and cut and paste pics/inspiration, bits and pieces of fabrics and wallpaper etc. My "project books" :)

well, i have been fiddling with the Steampunk counter, it is Now atleast cut in Wood, sanded so it is silky smooth, awaiting stain and adornements, might cut out parts of the surroundso as to keep the "steam" containern, notlarge.IMG_1009.JPG.dd67403846a77833868f8 sure just yet though.

• Like 3

I have progress to report!! Got new ceiling templates installed in FOUR rooms on the Yellow House!!!!  It took ages of trial and error, cutting, pasting, paint, etc. to finally figure out what I'm doing, then overcoming my fear and actually taping them up. So, when that was done, I put the first coat of paint on the rest of the ceiling paper. Will recoat later tonight, and supposed to have better weather later in the week so I can get the spray adhesive done! Happy happy happy!

The next step is flooring...agh! Need to make up chimney breasts for two room first, then make templates, then cut a million or two strips of wood.  

• Like 3

Linda, congrats on progress. Flooring is my least favorite task. 

I finished my Marie Antoinette style porcelain doll, I'll put more photos in the gallery. Her face is oil painted, dress is silk (thank you again Jeannine, I'm getting some great mileage out of that sari! ), she has drawers, panniers, petticoat, underskirt and double bonded over skirt, oh and hot pink silk shoes which I didn't get a picture of. I learned how to ruche silk ribbon for this dress (so fun) and learned how to use my bow maker finally. I would start on my next doll but I've been neglecting my housecleaning so better get that done first. I love the way her hair turned out. Go big or go home home right?! 

IMG_7789.JPG

• Like 3

Thank you all, I really appreciate it. This is a blank that I bought awhile ago Jeannine, her head and vavavoom torso is Cynthia Howe,Hallie is the head,  legs are Stacy Hofman and I'm not sure who's mold the arms came from, I don't think they look like Cynthia's arms or hands. 

So how many more blanks have you before you start on your own molds, I am very anxious to see your results. I know they will be good, I just want to see . My fairy molds  are sitting at the border waiting to be picked up, I have never made a fairy of any size, now I have them all sizes to work on. I hope I can do it LOL. Then it is back to "which house "

Thanks Linda and Holly. Jeannine my husband says I'm procrastinating. Im still nervous to start pouring. I just need to do it. How long can the dolls sit around in the greenware stage before they go in the kiln?  Well until I get my courage up I've got quite a few more blanks, but none as interesting as the molds I have. It's raining though, I thought I read that it's not good to pour in high humidity? More procrastinating...:) 

On my trips through various ceramics studios I have noticed that greenware sits until there's at least a good kiln load, so I don't think there'd be a problem with letting the bits you have sit until you work up the nerve to fire them.  Jeannine would know.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone!  I have kind of been missing from the forum since the move.  I am at work and things are slow, so I pulled up the forum to catch up.  I miss working on my Cape May.  It is sitting in a bedroom, wanting me to work on her, but unfortunately, real life is at play.  The "new" house is in need of the majority of my work.  We recently found out from the previous owner of 50 years, the house is much older than we thought.  We had in mind 1890s.  According to the documents he gave us, and he did not go back as far as he could, the house dates to the 1860s.  It is a fun chapter in our lives, but I miss my minis! 

And the funny part, in the room where I will be building, I have my kits stacked under the staircase.  They are at least 5 feet high, and I do not have the Orphan Annie, Tara, and Newport kits stacked in there yet.  Oh the fun of hording and this hobby!  :crazyeyes:

• Like 2

Oh, Matt, that's really exciting!  Will y'all continue to trace the house's history back?  Who knows what architectural treasures you might discover under layers of paint & "improvements"?   And the inspiration you'll get for future builds!  I'm so excited for you.

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

Matt, how exciting!! The minis will wait just fine! Take your time with the new house, and enjoy making your own. Maybe you can find the time to work on the little bits of trim, accessories, or something small?

I know at some point I will need a break from working on the real house, and need some time to my minis.  So it is just getting more tools, supplies, etc unpacked to work on the Cape May.

51 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Oh, Matt, that's really exciting!  Will y'all continue to trace the house's history back?  Who knows what architectural treasures you might discover under layers of paint & "improvements"?   And the inspiration you'll get for future builds!  I'm so excited for you.

We plan on researching more.  The previous owner said the library was closing the the next book of title info, etc was in another room.  He never went back to find the original build date. 

A fun note on the house.  It was originally built on the corner and in the 1920s it was moved one lot over to where it sits now.  According to the records, a couple divorced and she got the house and lived in it.  The husband built a new house on the corner and lived there for a time!  Also, it was a girls rooming house for Newcomb (Tulane) students in the 1940s.  We have framed a hand written note from the woman owner of that time, of a blessing on the house.

The house is giving me all kinds of inspiration!  That makes it all the more difficult to not be working on the Cape May right now.

37 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Dang, Matt, I left New Orleans too soon. I want to see your house!

You can always come back for a visit! :cheezy:

• Like 1

I dug out an old kit I had for a working grandfather clock today, I think it was from the 70's but I may be wrong, seems like it was about that time.  I made one but never did the second one.  Now I am kicking myself for not digging this out before I ordered the wood last night, I would like to see this done in much better wood than is in the kit, it is balsa, but of poor quality at least it is so much more grainy then the stuff I have now.  I would like to see this done in Mahogany or Cherry, or Walnut.  The mechanism is a German made one with a working pendulum.  I have never had a grandfather clock in RL so I have always had a fascination with them, and like working miniatures. I may have to place another order with National Balsa!

I have that grandfather clock, too. It's awesome, isn't it? I remember it only cost $10 when I bought it and I saw one a couple months ago on eBay for about $50, I think. You're right, the wood isn't all that great and I would advise that you use spackle on the edges and sand the you-know-what out of it. But if you wind it once a day, it really does keep time. I love mine and I'm thinking of refinishing it someway. I think it would look much better painted, but since I've already finished mine with stain, I don't know how I'd do that.

That is the one I have, it was very cheap at the time, for some reason I remember $12.95. It really. doesn't look clunky in real life.  I was looking for just the movement about 5-7 months ago to make one, then remembered I had this old kit.  I haven't found the first one I made yet, but at the time i was in my early 20's and did not do a wonderful job.  I searched extensively and didn't find any movements you could buy this size, they are all watch faces now when they say "working" grandfather clock, so no pendulum, or if it is there it doesn't do anything.