What's everyone working on?

I finished (and started!) the 1:288 NAME 40th Birthday house today by Robin Betterley. It's so cute! One more of those tiny kits left, the Christmas Story house. I hope to work in that tomorrow. In between deciding on and planning my grandson's birthday cake. My 3 choices are pretty easy, maybe a little hard, and probably above my skill set but I have to learn someday. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Thanks for the info Tracy. 

I spent some time yesterday pouring some new molds I've been collecting. I've got a little bit of an addiction going. Anyway...I tried this mannequin mold combined (joined in greenware stage) with a doll head/torso that I already had and I think it's going to be really neat. It would remove the need for a doll stand altogether, having to assemble legs and underwear, shoes etc..(would be good for beginner costumers to try) A full skirt would be designed over the shape. I won't know how well it's going to work until it gets fired (I'm concerned about whether or not the height will be correct) but if it works out I will be very happy :) 

IMG_8887.JPG

That is lovely Karin...There is so much you can do with this. You did a great job melding the two pieces together!

• Like 2

Well I tried to get back to building in January and then was wiped out twice with the flu.   I had bought this little prebuilt kids wooded dollhouse in Tuesday Moring and thought I would try to make something out of it.  I couldn't figure out the scale so it was on the small size so I went with half scale.   I worked on it between bouts of feeling awful.  Almost done with it because I want to move on to the RGT Victorian half scale farm house that I have been saving up to do.
I was also trying to learn how to do felting.   I stuck myself a lot but starting to get the hang of that.  I want to make residents for my builds....usually animals.  
I've been away from the forum so long its going to take me a week of reading to try and catch up.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Roxxie2 said:

I was also trying to learn how to do felting. 

Hi Rox! Sorry to hear about the flu-- been dodging that myself. Getting something done on that pink Tennyson this long weekend. Show us some of your felting-- never tried it, love to see it!

• Like 1

You know, I don't get out that much basically because there isn't anywhere to go especially in winter out here.  But Ray brings home all kinds of germies from the clinic and he got really sick so it was inevitable that I was next.   Then I got better and then got it again. 

As for the felting I just went on Pinterest and looked at tutorials etc.  I am not very good at it but I made a couple of little mice characters for my mouse house.  lol   Holly mentioned that I could make little old people felting so maybe if I get good enough I can try that.   I have some sore fingers from those nasty barbed needles.   You really have to concentrate on where you are sticking the needle.  I learned the hard way on that one.  ha ha
I am already planning the half scale farmhouse because I got side tracked with the goofy little house I got in Tuesday Morning.  The idea was to just do what I could with it using up stuff I already had in my dwindling stash.  I didn't buy one thing for it!  Pictures on my blog soon.  I am working on the baby mice now.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2018, 11:51:29, stickyfingers said:

Can't make up my mind how to finish the paper flooring sheets. Shiny gloss would look more like tile and linoleum, but I kind of want a softer finish. Thinking of doing satin or semi-gloss.

Why not just use a finishing wax......

So . . .  since the move into the new house, my work on the Cape May has come to a standstill.  Right now it is sitting on the stack of dollhouse kits I have accumulated in the hobby room/office.  That room is now the staging area for the attic and FULL of storage items (Christmas, dollhouses, etc).  We need a new roof, and until that happens (3 - 4 months) we don't want to put anything in the attic and have to move it out again.  Because of this, I am not able to work on the CM.  But I am really itching to get  busy on something.  I am thinking of starting either one of my half scale houses or the Batrie's The Bradley or the Vineyard Cottage.  They are both small enough 1" scale I can move around from dining table to coffee table, etc and not make too big of a mess. :crazyeyes:

I just don't know which one wants to talk (or yell) the loudest for me to start work on! :dunno:

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, madtex1967 said:

So . . .  since the move into the new house, my work on the Cape May has come to a standstill.  Right now it is sitting on the stack of dollhouse kits I have accumulated in the hobby room/office.  That room is now the staging area for the attic and FULL of storage items (Christmas, dollhouses, etc).  We need a new roof, and until that happens (3 - 4 months) we don't want to put anything in the attic and have to move it out again.  Because of this, I am not able to work on the CM.  But I am really itching to get  busy on something.  I am thinking of starting either one of my half scale houses or the Batrie's The Bradley or the Vineyard Cottage.  They are both small enough 1" scale I can move around from dining table to coffee table, etc and not make too big of a mess. :crazyeyes:

I just don't know which one wants to talk (or yell) the loudest for me to start work on! :dunno:

That must be so frustrating! But I would be the same with not wanting to move stuff twice. I vote you start the Batrie house... Mainly because I've not seen one built... Totally selfish reason.. :D 

Do you have a theme in mind for either of them?

1 hour ago, madtex1967 said:

I am thinking of starting either one of my half scale houses or the Batrie's The Bradley or the Vineyard Cottage. 

I, of course, will always vote for half scale :), but that Vineyard Cottage is really adorable.  I feel your pain.  Before I finally got my own craft space, I was always moving my houses on and off the dining room table, and it drove me (and my spouse) crazy.  I hope you get your hobby room/office back soon!

15 hours ago, Samusa said:

That must be so frustrating! But I would be the same with not wanting to move stuff twice. I vote you start the Batrie house... Mainly because I've not seen one built... Totally selfish reason.. :D 

Do you have a theme in mind for either of them?

14 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

I, of course, will always vote for half scale :), but that Vineyard Cottage is really adorable.  I feel your pain.  Before I finally got my own craft space, I was always moving my houses on and off the dining room table, and it drove me (and my spouse) crazy.  I hope you get your hobby room/office back soon!

I don't have a theme in mind.  I am kind of leaning towards the VC because I have some leftover/salvage trims I can replace on the exterior to dress it up some.  I also have an AMSI spiral staircase kit I bought off eBay some time back with the thought of using it in the VC.

I can already see my spouse react to starting a new one! :bop:

4 minutes ago, madtex1967 said:

...I can already see my spouse react to starting a new one! :bop:

He should know by now what he's gotten into.  I think there ought to be a club for the spouses & significant others of miniaturists, like Alanon.

• Like 1

I am preparing for the Seattle Miniature Show, coming up in a couple weeks. There is a new feature, called Mini Acres, where people can sell their finished houses. I bought a mixed lot of minis last summer from a lady whose mother had died. The daughter wasn't into miniatures and just wanted to move the stuff out. Among the items was a finished Ernie's Boathouse, from the 14th Creatin' Contest at HBS.  It needed cleaning, and some repairs. I finally came to the conclusion that she put it together with hot glue - which has now released its hold!   The ceiling/upper deck was completely detached, as were most of the railings. I am using a generous helping of Elmer's glue on everything - I want something that will hold, but won't grip quickly while I work on getting things lined up properly. It's already painted so I don't have to worry about smearing the glue. 

I had emailed the entry, hoping they still had room, and just found out tonight that there is no more room for the realtors' houses. I guess the hotel is starting to question the number of tables lining the hallway! 

I don't want to keep it - it just doesn't speak to me, so I'm not sure now how to unload it. I am a perfectionist in my mini work, and this dear lady was more casual in her approach. 

Any ideas?  When I finish the massive regluing job I can post pictures of it. Using Elmer's glue over such big areas I have to let each phase dry overnight before going on to the next one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Of course you're removing all that nasty old hot glue as you go.  If you have somewhere to stash it until next year, you could offer it at next year's show.

So little of it was left, that I didn't recognize the residue at first. Then I found a few dangling-drips of it and the light dawned!  I took off what I could, but to try to peel it off the strips of trim would have split the wood. 

I thought of holding it for next year's show, but I think I would just like to move it out.  There is a Miniature Show in Portland, with the same Mini Acres, but I'm still traveling to these events in my little Buick so I don't have room for it. Now that I know I don't have to hurry for the show in 2 weeks, I might just take my time and beef it up a bit with more trim to stabilize the railings, and some wood putty to smooth out the tab/slot marks and the mismatched corners.  I went to HBS to see the contest entries, and now realize one stair railing is missing. 

UPDATE:  I just went in and took the painter's tape off and it looks like the railings are pretty solid! That's encouraging! There was no way to weight anything to put pressure on the glue, and there was only one railing-top trim that I could clamp so I had my blue painter's tape all over the place!  Maybe there is hope for this little baby after all!

On 2/21/2018, 7:11:05, havanaholly said:

He should know by now what he's gotten into.  I think there ought to be a club for the spouses & significant others of miniaturists, like Alanon.

I opened up the Vineyard Cottage box and looked at it.  I pulled out the instructions and read them over and left them on the coffee table . . .  I am waiting on him to see them laying out.  Just preparing him for what is to come! :bounce:

• Like 4

Good stuff Karin, did these come from Hawaii by any chance.

I have opened the first of my 1/48th house kits and first off I have to say they are beautifully pieces. I am looking forward to doing them when I am not up to working on a bigger one.

• 2 weeks later...

I started dry fitting the Vineyard Cottage last night.  I am going to do some light bashing on it.  I have decided to leave out the downstairs wall and use posts to open up the whole area. I plan on using a spiral staircase in it, so the missing wall should not affect the layout.  I am also going to tack on a small shed addition to house a bathroom.  I think I am going to use mostly Chrysnbon kits in this build as they are small and should fit well. I was going to use board and batten on the exterior, but after some research, most of these cottages are shingled.  I am thinking of getting the strip shingles to make that process go much faster!