What's everyone working on?

I started working on a litle cottage for my Bahamanian people. I got them a couple of years ago at an arts and crafts center in Nassau that deals in locally produced items. The woman who made them was working there that day.

I decided to work on the furniture with just the 3 walls up, figured it would be easier that way. I've already changed my mind about the hutch. I think I should have gone with a work table and shelves there. I keep changing my mind about the chairs. That's the third set of chairs I've tried. So far I think they'll work the best once I've painted them however I decide to paint them. On the other hand, I might decide tomorrow that I don't like them at all. After fooling with the chairs I started wishing I hadn't put stringers on the table legs. The little people told me they wanted a blue table and that was the first thing I made after I put up the walls. I do, however, like the way the bed turned out. I used a sheet of foil tucked into the spread to mold it. My brain just wasn't functioning right last night and it was taking forever. This morning I started with a fresh sheet of foil and it molded just right. Now that I'm looking at the picture, I think those corner folds need further adjusting, or maybe it's just the picture.

IMG_2339.JPG

IMG_2338.JPG

Karin,the tiny black spots are often called mildew, they are not by the way. I call them pepper spots. The pieces look Ok after cone 6 firing , then  they show up in a china paint firing on bisque. The reason is because the bisque was underfired or fired too fast. ..Porcelain not only has to reach a specific temperature it needs to reach it slowly and be held  there for a while.  As it was bisque you bought from someone else and not what you did your answer is clear, yours is Ok hers was wrong. All is not lost.Next time you do a cone 6 firing put the pieces with the pepper spots in and refire.. then proceed with china painting as usual.,they will be OK. The piece with the  line, put it back in as well for a second high fire, the china paint  may will burn off and give you a second chance.

When I first read your post a chill ran over me, but when I re read it and realized you didn't do the original cone 6 firing a sigh of relief came over me. You are doing OK.

Sometimes folks will rush a firing thinking it will save on power etc. the bisque looks OK but the trouble sets in when they try to china paint.  It is a bad thing to do.

Good news is you have learned something from someone else's bad habit.

• Like 1

Thank you so much Jeannine, and pepper spots is a perfect term because that’s exactly what it looks like. Good to know it may not be a total loss because it’s a really pretty doll. I know  this particular seller had told me that she soft fires to clean so I wondered if that could have had anything to do with it, your explanation sounds good, I appreciate the info. Definitely a learning experience! Well that’s one more reason that I’m very glad I can make my own dolls now, since she’s only selling blanks maybe she doesn’t even know that’s happening.

As  I remember reading about that dollhouse, the library has mini copies of books autographed by the authors including Dickens and Stevenson.  The mini cars in the garage are filled with petrol, which always bothered me as being a potential fire hazard.

47 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

As  I remember reading about that dollhouse, the library has mini copies of books autographed by the authors including Dickens and Stevenson.  The mini cars in the garage are filled with petrol, which always bothered me as being a potential fire hazard.

It that's true, with the gas tanks also being mini, methinks any fire would be more like a spark and pfffft and a thin thread of smoke. :D 

I should hope the petrol has evaporated by now.  The wine bottles in the cellar are filled with wine that is slowly disappearing with time.

The dollhouse itself inspired me as a child, and the beautiful photos in the book continue to provide my mind with sustenance!

Karin, the soft fire would not make any difference. It is definitely under fired  bisque, I am 100% certain!! Porcelain can be picky it doesn't take much to make it unhappy., this is why I advise using witness cones every so often especially with a new kiln. One cone 5, one cone 6 and I cone 7 placed in the kiln, . If the kiln is correct the 6 cone will be bent over about half way, the number 7 will only be bent a little and the number 5 will be almost collapsed, showing that 6 is correct, 7 is underfired  and 5 is overfired. Even with a digital kiln is is important to do the test cones now and again.. Usually overfired porcelain can look shiny and underfired can look chalky but it is a subtle difference not glaringly obvious.

• Like 1

I went to home Depot yesterday to get a stapler to do some upholstery and while I was there I picked up a carbide wood cutting wheel for my dremel. Holy wow that thing is great! It zipped right through some birch plywood I had sitting around. Much better than the cutting wheels that came with my kit.

Im really hoping I can get do some miniaturing before we have to box things up for good. I feel like all I get to do now is come home and declutter or clean. While it feels great to get rid of stuff and have a clean house, miniatures and sewing are my time to clear my head and relax. Making a huge move is anything BUT relaxing.

Our weather is slowly but steadily warming up so I’m going to make the move back down to my spring/summer/early fall workroom.  I spent the winter working at the kitchen counter and even I’m sick of the mess. Planning to gut my workroom and make it less decorative and more productive. Someone gave my husband this big metal shelving contraption called a milk bossy. It’s huge, don’t know where I’ll put it, but where there’s a will there’s a way...

20 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Someone gave my husband this big metal shelving contraption called a milk bossy. It’s huge, don’t know where I’ll put it, but where there’s a will there’s a way...

I had to Google milk bossy. Wow, what a great storage contraption! I'm sure you'll find a place for it!

So I have dry fit the Vineyard Cottage and made a few adjustments.  I am going to "tack on" a small bathroom on the back, and enlarge the entrance and balcony doors.  I am also replacing the staircase.  I have so much stuff in my stash, but still needed some items.  Why is it that way? :dunno:  I decided on using the Grandt Line Gothic Windows in place of the kit parts.  Of course I was ready to start to glue, and can't for the life of me find my wood glue after the move!  I am off to get more after work today and will get started.  I will start a album as I get moving on this kit.  I am excited! :cucumber:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

Buy two bottles.....one of them always disappears at my house!

I have two bottles!  The only problem there is I packed them both in the same box. :dunce:  I found one box with my tools, paint, and my other glues (tacky, super, etc) but no wood glue! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madtex1967 said:

I have two bottles!  The only problem there is I packed them both in the same box. :dunce:  I found one box with my tools, paint, and my other glues (tacky, super, etc) but no wood glue! 

Maybe they ran away with my power drills. Time to put out an APB? :cops:

• Like 2

On 11/03/2018 à, WyckedWood said:

Nathalie I’ve seen your work on Etsy, it’s very inspiring. I love the way you paint your dolls faces. Do you pour your own dolls or use blanks? 

Karin, I use blank dolls as I have no kiln (to my despair...or not ! reading the issues with a kiln!) anyway. I'm always frustated by the blank kits as they aren't exactly the way I want, so I add some epoxy putty to change the shape or add heels to my feet. 

For the painting I only paint with acrylic paints, I know it is not the best way for purist's porcelain lovers, but it allows me to have the face I want! I've tried cold porcelain paint but it's thicky and I'm not comfortable as I am with acrylics. I paint my dolls since 2008 and I took several classes to improve myself, now I can tell that I love the way I paint and I can paint what I want. But I worked a lot to achieve that skill! 

• Like 1

Nathalie I also like the look of acrylic or oil painted faces. I think whatever someone is confident with is the technique to use. Even if I end up china painting more faces I would probably still enhance them with oils. The china painting is cool tho, it reminds me of makeup that’s tattooed on, makes a good base but you’d still enhance it with regular makeup. Just my thoughts. I know there’s a lot of conversation (arguing) about china painting vs. acrylic and also glue vs. sewing, dry cleaning vs wet cleaning, etc. I’m still just learning so I can’t take sides or have any arguments on any of that.  

As far as the dishes and vases tho I can say without a doubt the china painting is much prettier after it sinks into the surface of the porcelain as opposed to oil paint that just sits on the surface. I love the dreamy, soft quality of the china paints on the dishes. 

About blanks totally know what you mean about frustrations with them!! If you can even find one to buy which isn’t easy in itself. I wish I had your talent to sculpt my own! 

• Like 1