What's everyone working on?

Thanks for all the suggestions for furniture sources! I’ve started a list. Building stuff would be a fun way to pass the time as well. Thankfully, Federal style is pretty clean except for the occassional pineapple :D I’ll make sure to keep an eye out  for miniatures stores when Im in Copenhagen next week so i can scope those out as well. We leave Friday to head out for house hunting. I cant believe it’s already time to go! 

Nathalie, I just love your corset! So pretty 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, thriftymini said:

Miranda, you might want to check out this store in Copenhagen.  I have not been, but just now found information about it on the internet.

http://www.antique-toys.dk/default.asp?page=about&lang=uk

What an amazing collection of antiques. It is more like a museum than a shop -- a very expensive shop. :D 

3 minutes ago, SewMini said:

That's a little too rich for my blood! I think I may need to make sure we get a house close to a hardware store with lots of wood. Perhaps I can start a 1/24 furniture empire :D

I’m with you on the price but lots of ideas   For making some cool furniture. 

7 hours ago, SewMini said:

Thanks for all the suggestions for furniture sources! I’ve started a list. Building stuff would be a fun way to pass the time as well. Thankfully, Federal style is pretty clean except for the occassional pineapple :D I’ll make sure to keep an eye out  for miniatures stores when Im in Copenhagen next week so i can scope those out as well. We leave Friday to head out for house hunting. I cant believe it’s already time to go! 

Nathalie, I just love your corset! So pretty 

Might find something here

http://m.norregades-glashandel.dk/

not Copenhague but still a great resource... http://www.miniseumwebshop.dk/shop/frontpage.html

• Like 1

I thought I had a clear vision of what I wanted to do when I started on my Caribbean cottage, but as I go along I keep changing my mind. I felt like accessorizing today because my brain was going numb from changing my mind so much. The first thing I made for the room was a blue table, which is now gone. I made a new table, same size but without stringers. I still don't know if I should stain or paint the legs, but I do think I'll make the table top white or some shade of white. The little blue chairs are the ones I originally planned on using, only they were white, which looked all wrong to me, till I got the idea of painting them blue. I changed my mind a few times before I settled on these blue chairs. I also exchanged the painted cabinet for a different cabinet with a box shelf above it. I actually made a drawer for the red cabinet. Usually I do faux drawers, but this time I had to use just the 1/8" basswood, so I made the drawer. Before starting work on the bedside cabinet I decided to look and see if I ad anything ready made that I could use. I found to my delight, that the sink from a broken Townsquare mahogany Victorian bathroom set was almost exactly the size of the cabinet I would have made, so I decided to spray paint it and glue on a new top. I still haven't made up my mind how I'm going to finish it off though. Now I have to go back to working on the outside and the roof. At first it was going to be a front opening house, then I decided a room box that could sit up on a shelf would be better. If I'd made it a house I would have felt obligated to give it some sort of front yard, but then I'd wind up with something too deep for the space I wanted to display it in. As I was adding things to the interior today I suddenly panicked - when I put on the roof parts it'll be too hard to see inside! I picked the house up and stuck it on a nearby shelf. It looks like it'll be ok after all. A clear vision ..... yeah, right.

IMG_2340.JPG

I can see your dilemma. The individual bits don't want to play nicely together. 

Personally, I'm not fond of the cadet blue cupboard and chairs. What color is the wall-mounted shelf? It appears to be a darker, slightly greenish blue. I'd use that on the table legs and chairs and pick up the green in the bedspread for the base of the cabinet. Maybe not that bright a green, but definitely toward the leafy tones.

Of course the colors I'm seeing on my monitor may not be even close to the actual tones.

Holly, I think the color I used on the cupboard was called Georgia Clay. It's a warm red with an orangey tone.  I did consider it for the table, but then I'd have too much red going straight across the room, all a similar height.

Kathie, the blue cabinet does look a bit overpowering in the picture as I look at it. It looks better at a different angle. I was thinking of painting some kind of simple floral design on the front panels and maybe the top, not sure, I do like the color of the hanging shelf and might use it for the table legs. I mixed it myself so I'll have to make sure I make enough of it for several coats of paint if I use it again.

I still need to add more stuff to the walls to balance everything out into a cohesive set, and a small colorful rug too, I think. 

Grazhina I could see a tiny sea shell wind chime in that room. 

Ive been china painting faces the past few days. I can't decide whether it's easier or harder than oil painting them but I do like the softness. Needless to say painting those tiny eyes is so challenging. I feel like it's getting a little easier though as I get more acquainted with how china paints work.  I picked up a few more child molds, oh my...the stack of molds in the cupboard is growing...so addictive. Husband is starting to raise an eyebrow when he sees them. I need a new hiding/storage spot...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Husband is starting to raise an eyebrow when he sees them. I need a new hiding/storage spot...

Karin, I like the way your mind works. :D 

• Like 1

Karin I'm so happy for how excited you are with your new doll adventure. :) 

Last night I finished up the basic decorating for the 2 dollhouse shaped roomboxes I got last weekend. I had fun going through my stash and finding places for all the neat things I've bought over the years. I wasn't able to locate the painting I got from Lyssa a few years ago, so I need to do a little more digging. A couple things are just "stand ins" until I can find the right thing. I need a night stand for sure. And then there's one room im still kinda struggling with. I have an amazing Bespaq bathroom set that needs to go in there. The box itself is Bespaq, and it just goes so well. But first, it seems kinda silly having a 2 story house shaped box that houses a dining room and bathroom only. But also, the bathroom set doesn't quite fill the room. Right now a bed and night table are in there as well. If I found a nice room divider screen that might work. I also considered looking for a matching vanity, maybe dresser too, then it is a more substantial room than just a bathroom with 3 fixtures. Opinions, ideas?

Miniature Designs has their annual mini garage sale in 4 weeks, so I'll keep my eyes open there.

Brimble's roof simply does not want to stay together.  I have gone on with shingling, on the off chance it decided to get with the program.  It was an awfully old kit with some warping issues, so it may lose it battle; but I've been fighting with the darned thing for well over a year!

5 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Karin I'm so happy for how excited you are with your new doll adventure. :) 

Last night I finished up the basic decorating for the 2 dollhouse shaped roomboxes I got last weekend. I had fun going through my stash and finding places for all the neat things I've bought over the years. I wasn't able to locate the painting I got from Lyssa a few years ago, so I need to do a little more digging. A couple things are just "stand ins" until I can find the right thing. I need a night stand for sure. And then there's one room im still kinda struggling with. I have an amazing Bespaq bathroom set that needs to go in there. The box itself is Bespaq, and it just goes so well. But first, it seems kinda silly having a 2 story house shaped box that houses a dining room and bathroom only. But also, the bathroom set doesn't quite fill the room. Right now a bed and night table are in there as well. If I found a nice room divider screen that might work. I also considered looking for a matching vanity, maybe dresser too, then it is a more substantial room than just a bathroom with 3 fixtures. Opinions, ideas?

Miniature Designs has their annual mini garage sale in 4 weeks, so I'll keep my eyes open there.

Maybe look at some Brooke Tucker designs for inspiration? Do you have her interior mini decor book? Probably find plenty of her stuff on Pinterest too. 

I was working on making palm thatch for my Bahamas cottage today. Palm thatch is coarser than the thatch they use in Europe, it's made from palm leaves, and I thought that straw whisk brooms reminded me of the stuff, so I wound up using two whisk brooms. The straw bristles in the inside of the brooms is straighter, doesn't have the interesting irregularity of the outer bristles, which is why I had to go out and get the second one. I also inserted the acrylic dust protector into the front. I found a couple of cheap poster frames on sale and I cut myself a panel to fit out of one. I'm hoping to get the thatch finished tomorrow or the next day.

IMG_2346.JPG

• Like 1

I'm now over a long drawn out cold that wouldn't let go, and hubby is nearly over his (I most likely passed something to him though I didn't have a nasty fever).

I've been keeping up with what you all are doing  - Karin and her porcelain adventures and grazhina with her Bahamas cottage.

I finally was able to do some things. I got started with my Mini Mundus book kit  - and got that down to a process. I'm happy with them. I also added a small paper chair rail to the 3rd floor bedroom. I still have to decide on crown. Small (pun intended) things but progress.

large.Books.jpg.bd2069380c3419dfb66c74de

large.3rdFlBedroom.jpg.98755f0c275b1f7a1

• Like 4

Great work everyone! Floors are done on the Yellow house!!!!!! Now onto walls. As usual, having a hard time making up my mind. The kitchen and bathroom need wainscoting, I think. Was debating about tile in the bathroom, but I think it wants beadboard. Then thought of doing painted brick in the kitchen, then talked myself out of it, and thought it also needed beadboard.But now I don't want beadboard in both....maybe painted brick in the kitchen? Yes? No? Weird?   

38 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

...maybe painted brick in the kitchen? Yes? No? Weird?   

Not weird.  did your bathroom used to be a back porch?  The hubs' paternal grandparents made a full bath out of an old back porch (and then built a new, bigger back porch) that had beadboard walls.  They also had beadboard in their kitchen, but this was a 1:1 house with a couple of walls between.

I've been trying my hand at making furniture. So far I have three pieces. Maybe one day I'll finally have a house to put them in. I can't seem to finish the Alison Jr. I keep losing inspiration. But I have so many projects I'd like to start. We had a very minor pipe leak and the access panel is in my craft room closet. I store all of the kits I've acquired in there and had to empty out the closet. My husband asked where they all came from and I wasn't sure, seems like they just appear! Six kits and still not a single finished house!