What's everyone working on?

The SF555 was the very first kit I ever built.  The video was helpful for two things:  showing me how to line up the exterior wall sections along the masking tape for a nice, tight fit as I glued them together, and encouraging me to take a utility knife to it to whack off excess to make things fit.

• Like 2

How exciting for you Linda, happy all is there, that's such a relief! 

I bought a vhs tape about wigging miniature dolls, although we hadn't had a vcr for many years. My husband found one in perfect condition at the thrift shop for $5. 

• Like 1

I know copy shops and places that develop film will burn VHS onto DVD, but I wonder if they would do this? The tape itself doesn't have any copyright markings.

I read through the instructions, and it actually doesn't look as bad as I thought. My biggest fear, though, is messing something up and not being able to replace it. My angst would be a lot less if it had standard tab and slot construction, rather than having to measure and cut ALL of the wood bits that hold the whole thing together, plus some sub-assemblies, where you measure and cut two pieces, then glue them together just so. 

I have no intention of having the windows and doors actually open and close. That step just seems like it would be the end of me.   

3 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

I know copy shops and places that develop film will burn VHS onto DVD, but I wonder if they would do this? The tape itself doesn't have any copyright markings.

I read through the instructions, and it actually doesn't look as bad as I thought. My biggest fear, though, is messing something up and not being able to replace it. My angst would be a lot less if it had standard tab and slot construction, rather than having to measure and cut ALL of the wood bits that hold the whole thing together, plus some sub-assemblies, where you measure and cut two pieces, then glue them together just so. 

I have no intention of having the windows and doors actually open and close. That step just seems like it would be the end of me.   

I would think that since the company closed their doors so many years ago any patents are likely to have expired. Also I think regarding copyright you could say that you want it put to DVD under the fair use for educational purposes clause and be fine, given the age and the fact that no-one is likely to care!

• Like 1

:cucumber:Yay Linda!  Glad your house has arrived safely.

I am still busy working on my Federal farmhouse rehab. The exterior is finished, except for attaching the front door - needs a new doorknob first. After 3 shades of yellow and 2 shades of pink, I've found the correct saturation of both colors and the 2nd floor has now been painted!  I also painted the attic floor since it had been painted (primed?) white when it arrived.  I wish I would have used a bit darker shade of brown, but overall it works: with painted walls and trim and a new floor color, this 3rd floor can be used as additional rooms now - - or just an attic.  :)   So now it is just a matter of some touch-up painting on the interior and install the steps, railing and some missing trim.  Last nite I pulled all of the trim pieces and stair pieces I will need and laid everything out on my work table....now for a few free hours to get things finished up!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

The trouble that Ive gotten into when putting together dura craft houses is when I cut to their given measurements instead of cutting to fit. 

Me too.. definitely cut to fit.

On 4/4/2018, 2:49:03, Samusa said:

I'm super excited to get my custom made sink for the San Fran.. will be watching obsessively.. maybe every 10mins. :drool:

I would like to see pics when you get it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Samusa said:

Me too.. definitely cut to fit.

Good to know. I think after I read the instructions a few more dozen times, I'll be ready to actually do something with it.

I started cutting out wall templates for the Yellow house. I'm just giddy seeing clean, white posterboard on the walls, so I think when I get to paint and wallpaper, I might just squeal!! I FINALLY made some solid decisions on paint and papers, paint samples should be here any day now, so it's getting close. It's also amazing to see how lighter, brighter colors totally change the feel of these small spaces, especially in the windowless rooms. The master bedroom looks massive! 

This week I've been working on a quick little two story little room box/house/something. It was a cheap little mdf kit I bought from Cindy Crane of Miniature Luxuries at the Fall Atlanta Mini Show last year. She has kinda moved towards paper crafting, so she had all these cute papers and embellishments and such. I also bought a couple other little kits that were like little caddies.

Anyhow, the kit is by SA Crafters (look them up on YouTube) and aren't really a particular scale, but it came with some simple furniture to make too. I had fun cutting out shapes from the coordinating paper to embellish the hose and furniture. I used glitter and antique lace for the roof, and put on some paper 3D flowers for good measure. The flat pearls were over ridden by Lawson however. It turned out pretty cute, especially for a quick little project.

So, it's 12:30 am and I'm washing paint, glue, and glitter off my hands in the downstairs guest bathroom. And I look up at the pictures I have on the wall. They have pictures of claw foot tubs and fancy backgrounds. And suddenly I knew what to do with the tiny little 2 story box I found on clearance at Michael's today. It's probably closer to 1:48 scale, but I dug out the 1:24 porcelain bathroom set I bought 8 years ago and it fits nicely, centered in the rooms. So then I'm digging out paper, and flooring, and ceiling paper. Seriously, just 30 minutes earlier I was washing my hands from a completed project. Funny how that happens. At 1am I set everything out and came upstairs (before I started actually making it!). I'm about to head to bed, and I'll ponder the 2 wall and 2 floor choices I found. I'm pretty excited. The only thing is, I guess I'm going to have to make a little tiny fancy chandelier, somewhere between 1:48 and 1:24 scale. Bleh.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sparklepuppies said:

I did it, I made a tiny chandelier! I was aiming for about an inch, and it measures in slightly over 1 1/8". It's "brass" and "crystal". About to glue some pictures on the wall, then I can call this little bathroom roombox project done. Yay!

Share some pictures with us!!!!

The image uploader hates me lately, but here's a quick overall picture. I didn't notice the sink was crooked until I looked at the picture. I photographed the actual pictures on the wall that were my inspiration and put those on the walls. The chandelier arms are a little long, but it was hard to tell until I got it hung. Oh well, I'm still happy with it. 

bathroom box.jpg

• Like 1

Great work Tracy, fabulous Chandelier too.

As for me, I am still fiddling with the hacienda room Box, am awaiting some jewellery bits and pieces to be able to finish a Wall decoration and then some  harm Steer skulle as well and am going to need to go to a fabric shop for some suitable brands and ribbons too I ink.

Speaking of fabrics, i got a bit side-tracked a while ago when Deb showed a painting She had Done, and it was of the character Mr Crow which tickled My Idea for a guest/persona who would be perfect for My Steampunk build. Today I finally settled in working on his head and Now I need to give him a proper Tuxedo and that is where i halter yet again as the fabrics I have at hand is so not suitable for the tuxedo look. :doh:i have witch/halloween inspired black fabrics, I have sheer see-through black, fabrics, sequined and.... but noooo tuxedo fabric, or no plain crisp white fabric for the shirt either. Major tearing out  hair moment! 

I do however have the perfect fabric for his veta Thank to Holly and some great ties.

large.IMG_1360.JPG.2ebb43b87cf000130b792

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Anna, cheap men's handkerchiefs work for me.

I Will have a look next time for that then, but right Now I have a mini-friend who heard My Plea and had some suitable fabric at hands so She is putting them in the mail tomorrow so hopefully I Will get them in a day or two and then I can try out the pattern I fiddled up today.... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NellBell said:

Off to greek Easter 

I just came from Greek Easter at my sister's. I knocked out more than half the participants before my red egg got cracked. :D 

• Like 1

Got my HBS order today. Unpacked the grab bag and got some goodies: a nice round table with damaged feet to fix, a pretty pink and white octagon rug, a working window, a small pack of gold and white trim, and the best part, a battery operated three arm tulip shade chandelier, fully functional! Only a few bits I can't see myself using.

• Like 2