What's everyone working on?

8 hours ago, Shy Spirit said:

Oh Kathie, I have a "thing" for Peddlar dolls - so naturally I wish you would make up the kit as per all the instructions ... but I also have a "soft-spot" for the Glencroft ... so if you think she'll be happier there, I agree!  (Not that you asked for anyone's opinion.)  

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

There's absolutely no reason that a peddler woman cannot live in the Glencroft.

:hmm: This makes me think about poor-but-proud decor. Slipcovers that have been washed maybe one time too many, a vase that was broken but lovingly repaired, rag rugs that show wear, a place where she prepares/assembles goods for sale, etc. If she has money to keep up the house, she wouldn't be peddling, eh?

7 hours ago, Shy Spirit said:

I thought the same, Holly ... but I took Kathie's post to mean she has other plans for the doll.  Sorry if I misunderstood.

This Peddler Doll comes with an entire little scene -- bench, tray of goodies, etc. What I mean to do is separate her from the the setting and incorporate the additional items into accessories for the house. The doll herself won't be changed very much. At least that's the plan. We'll see what she tells me as I get to work on her. :) 

Yesterday's organization moved to tiny accessories. How to store them without jumbling back into blind obscurity in a box? Egg cartons! One is labeled Food. Another is labeled Baskets--Buckets--Bottles. The label lets me know what's inside, and when opened, all is revealed. The cartons fit very nicely into the drawers in the plastic drawer units.

There are still some empty drawers. At the moment, most of the remaining Beacon Hill bits are punched out and in well marked plastic bags in a large cardboard box. I think I'll sort them into a couple drawers -- windows, trim, a billion corbels, etc. I can sand, smooth with Spackle or joint compound/wallboard putter, and paint them a bit at a time, so they'll be ready for installation. This came to me when I read Janet (WestPaces)'s comment about being good at jigsaw puzzles. I never thought about assembling a house like a jigsaw puzzle, but really, that's what it is. Thanks, Janet! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

:hmm: This makes me think about poor-but-proud decor. Slipcovers that have been washed maybe one time too many, a vase that was broken but lovingly repaired, rag rugs that show wear, a place where she prepares/assembles goods for sale, etc. If she has money to keep up the house, she wouldn't be peddling, eh?

OOOh I love that image, I bet the pedlar lady has a kind gentle soul.

Yesterday's organization moved to tiny accessories. How to store them without jumbling back into blind obscurity in a box? Egg cartons! One is labeled Food. Another is labeled Baskets--Buckets--Bottles. The label lets me know what's inside, and when opened, all is revealed. The cartons fit very nicely into the drawers in the plastic drawer units.

Excellent idea! I knew I was keeping those see through egg boxes for a reason

There are still some empty drawers. At the moment, most of the remaining Beacon Hill bits are punched out and in well marked plastic bags in a large cardboard box. I think I'll sort them into a couple drawers -- windows, trim, a billion corbels, etc. I can sand, smooth with Spackle or joint compound/wallboard putter, and paint them a bit at a time, so they'll be ready for installation. This came to me when I read Janet (WestPaces)'s comment about being good at jigsaw puzzles. I never thought about assembling a house like a jigsaw puzzle, but really, that's what it is. Thanks, Janet!

:)  I don't even remember saying that but I agree :) You're welcome Kathie! 

20 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

Excellent idea! I knew I was keeping those see through egg boxes for a reason

:) I don't even remember saying that but I agree  You're welcome Kathie!  

I'm using the cardboard egg cartons. Can't see through them, but their contents are advertised with bold labeling. 

I think you likened a build to a jigsaw puzzle in another thread where you were encouraging an overwhelmed newbie to take one step at a time.

• Like 1

Today I spend half a day trying to make a gallery...
Believe you me, I am not a noob at computers and websites but this forum has some difficult features.
Thanks to other members who looked for some answers earlier I found out how to get it right.

One of my goals was to be on the frontpage of this site and I have done so...

:drool2:

Schermafbeelding 2018-04-24 om 16.25.33.png

• Like 3

I had to laugh at that, since I just spent half an hour trying to post one photo. Lol

believe it or not I do probably have more productive things I could be doing than dealing with the gallery glitches :) 

• Like 3

Portia is finally dressed, I'm most thrilled with her hat, and I can't wait until the next time the son with the camera comes to visit.  I'm on the third (and hopefully last!) version of Lionel's coat.

11 hours ago, KathieB said:

...I think you likened a build to a jigsaw puzzle in another thread where you were encouraging an overwhelmed newbie to take one step at a time.

I think that was me replying to Pascale's post about her Beaumont:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=41726&do=findComment&comment=670938

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Sorry for the misattribution, Holly. Memory isn't what it once was. Nevertheless, the allusion to a jigsaw puzzle stuck with me.

Still plodding on with my caravan. The stained glass windows are in, working on the door right no but not enjoying this bit. I have the foam blocks ready for the seats and bed, all the inside furniture is finished, still enjoying it the best though. Slowing but surelt it is coming together I need to find a suitable horse to paint and set the feathers on to turn it into a

Vanner., Gypsy horse. and I have some of the makings to build a swinger for going to town in.

• Like 1

Good question, Rosalind.  He just started a new job towards the end of last year, so hasn't yet earned any vacation or leave time.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if he wanted to donate one of his old cameras and teach me how to use it...

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Good question, Rosalind.  He just started a new job towards the end of last year, so hasn't yet earned any vacation or leave time.  It wouldn't hurt my feelings if he wanted to donate one of his old cameras and teach me how to use it...

Do you not have a camera on your phone?

Even plodding on you'll get there eventually Jeannine. 

I started on a mermaid today from one of my dolls cast from the last batch. I think its kind of like theater. You have a casting call and cast the part of Victorian lady, or Georgian lady, or peddler lady, storybook character, witch. Well anyway I think she was glad to get the part for the mermaid. 

• Like 1

I got the final pieces I needed in today for the Bespaq roomboxes I got a few weeks ago. Most things I had in my stash already, but still needed a couple pieces of furniture. I had hoped to find something at the mini garage sale at Miniature Designs last weekend, or even in the store itself, but I failed. So I went right home and just ordered what I wanted. I was thrilled to find the exact vanity I wanted on clearance, and it makes a perfect addition to the bathroom. I was excited to get that all set up tonight. :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Tried to do some work on the Yellow house...everything I touched failed. Bah!!

Aww, I hate that! Some days you are the pigeon, some day you are the statue. Mull it over, and try again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

...Some days you are the pigeon, some day you are the statue...

I'm going to have to remember that one!  At my suggestion Lionel and Portia have temporarily moved into the pub's snug and John has moved in with Claude and his family in the Cracker Shack.  I am back to stitching on what will probably be the last rug for Brimble's stock, for now.

Thanks Carrie. I usually say "Some days you're the hammer, some days you're the nail."

So, I made wall templates. Made a template out of paper, then transferred that onto poster board. Cut, trimmed, fitted, triple checked. Then added wallpaper, and...doesn't fit. Tricky to do pattern matching this way. I think the next room I'll do one wall at a time, checking the poster before applying paper. I also sprayed a satin finish clear coat onto the kitchen floor...and then it bubbled and buckled. Painted some strip wood to face the wall dividers with, then realized that the templates made the walls thick enough for the trim not to fit (duh). AND, I tried to assemble my sink kit, the pipe was a wee bit crooked, and I broke it trying to straighten it. Tried to glue it back together, which didn't work, and the sink won't stand without it, so it's either trash, or I'll have to make a new pipe. Oh, and I ordered some paneling to go on the kitchen walls. It came in the mail and the quality is not great, so don't know if I'll try to work with it, or start over. Bah!