What's everyone working on?

48 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

. I also sprayed a satin finish clear coat onto the kitchen floor...and then it bubbled and buckled

UGH! Those are the things that aggravate the "you know what" out of me. Stuff that just goes wrong that is probably no fault of yours,

Right Holly? If there was actually more problem solving or learning to be had, it would almost be worth it, but despite lots of research, care, and time, it seems I'm on the trial and error train, making frequent stops at the "error station." Every time I think "aha!" and feel like I've made a bit of progress or learned a new skill, the house just says "no. not quite yet."

I do love this house, and in very tiny TINY steps, I see it moving forward to what I have in my head. I work full time, garden, have pets, a family, etc., as many of you do, and my time to work on these things is limited, so when the time comes, I'd like it to be fun and productive. I will persevere, though. More days off are coming, and I do feel hopeful that if I can JUST get the walls and floors done, the rest will be fun and easy.

My little elfen girls are out of the kiln this morning, ready to polish. I love them, so cute! I lost one in cleaning the greenware but these 3 have survived the process...well so far. Theres still china painting. I also love the gloved arms, I cast them in white porcelain, they'll be so elegant. This batch had a swan flower planter and pitcher and bowl, my first time working with those molds. The swan was a complete swan that I cut down and hollowed out to be a planter.

31841900_10212505996984687_1298039477352005632_n.jpg

• Like 2

I was afraid the bowl and pitcher would end up being too small for 1:12.  The pitcher is smaller than the crysnbon pitcher set but it does still look in scale, thankfully. I love the swan. I had cast two of them but broke one in greenware while I was cleaning it. Still getting used to handling the more delicate shapes. 

Am almost done with the half-scale train car (just a little painting left) and already thinking of another project.  I have the art deco house in my future plans, but I think I also want to do a room box.  In part because for my birthday we did the Roosevelt Escape Room and in part because I have always loved JoMed’s drool-worthy “Teddy’s study” from her Arsenic and Old Lace build, I’ve kind of become obsessed with the idea of doing Roosevelt’s library from Sagamore Hill in half scale.  Since it will likely end up on a bookshelf, what better room box than a library, right? I may edit it down a bit (he must have had 10 chairs in there), but I really like the idea of trying to duplicate something as closely as possible in miniature.  It kind of reminds me of those shows on HGTV where they try to recreate an inspiration room on a budget.  (You can see a 360-degree view of the library on this web site.)

Anyway, I’ve already tried my hand at creating a few of the things that will go in there. 

Floral chair.  I shrank down and modified the “Lisa Chair” from One-Inch Minis, which I figured was a fairly close approximation.  I know the fabric is not an exact match, but I don’t think I’m going to get closer for a half-scale chair.  The background of my fabric is actually navy blue, not black as it appears in the picture.

TRChair.jpg.f9cf0b5d263b53a874b60eef6b5a

Teddy’s desk:  This was built from strip wood.  All the drawers open.  The inlay isn’t really leather; it’s printed card stock with ModPodge.  May swap it out for some brown faux leather, similar to the red “leather” I used on the bar in the Merrimack.  (Even if that doesn’t work for the desk, there is a brown leather chair I’ll need to create, so the fabric won’t go to waste.)  I have done the best I can to replicate the accessories.  The books and map are the actual books and map from his desk (although the books do not open).  The ink stand is not great, but I had to use polymer clay, which is not my best skill.  I think I’ll skip the stirrup (the thing between the ink stand and the lamp), as the desk is crowded enough.

Desk.jpg.a22504fd8fdbbc44069c4a51a2623c1MoreDeskViews.thumb.jpg.a2ce79511f9453fd

Lion skin rug.  [Disclaimer:  I would never in real-life have an actual animal skin rug in my home.  I don’t support big game hunting or the killing of animals for sport.  However, no animals were harmed in the creation of my rug.]  Since my polymer clay skills kind of suck, I found a great bead on Etsy to use for the lion’s head.  A little paint and very light flocking, and I think it’s OK.  The lion’s body is made from microfiber faux suede.  The “claws” are made from false eyelashes.  They’re kind of difficult to see, so I may give them a light coat of white paint.  I realize that the head is a bit big for the body (and the body is as large as I dared go for half scale), but I couldn’t pass up the lovely detail on the bead.  It’s lying on a drinks coaster for now.  That will not be what I use in the room.

LionSkinRugwithBead.jpg.75f4b00b3e771d5c

• Like 2

I have never attempted to recreate a room exactly.  You're well on your way to nailing this one.

I had ordered another couple of the jointed figures, in case Lionel and Portia didn't turn out.  They did, so now I have another couple to make up for another build.

• Like 1

Okay, after weeks and weeks of losing my mini mind, trying to track down a kit or plans for an all new project, and living with boxes, boxes, everywhere, I decided yesterday, "Forget the plan, I'm going to clear off the counter in the laundry room and unpack my mini stuff and get to work on SOMETHING." I just need to glue stuff, okay?

I spent about 4 hours yesterday unpacking boxes and organizing the counter and cupboards in the laundry room that I plan to use for mini building, at least the big stuff. I found most of my tools and supplies and kits. I brought a lamp down there to give me more light. I looked through old magazines for inspiration and ideas. And today I woke up and thought, hey, I found the Orchid shell, I'll get to work on that. Do laundry and clean house while glue and paint dry. 

Except I can't find one key box that has the next pieces I need in that project. It's probably out in the garage somewhere. So, Plan B: I'll pull out all the pieces of the Heritage I found yesterday and look at what I need to rework and change in order to fulfill my entirely new idea for that house. 

Except...I don't know where the base is. It's in a clearly labeled box that is, in all probability, out in the garage somewhere. I also can't find the directions, but I have a feeling those exist somewhere online. Still, it's a Duracraft kit and the way those are built, I need the base to refit everything and figure out what to change. 

So, Plan C: Open an entirely "new" kit (new in the sense that I've never worked on it; I've had it for at least ten years) and get to work. It's the Laser Tech beach house, a gift from my parents that I really love, just never got around to. No plan for what colors I want? No problem! I'm going to wing it and it all starts with glueing on battens to flat walls first anyway so let's open that kit, label some pieces and get going!

Except...I can't find my glue. I have lots of glue. Lots and lots of glue. SOMEWHERE. Probably in the garage. And I just don't want to tackle the garage right now.

SO. I am going to buy more glue. And whatever else I need and can't find to do the first steps. I don't even care anymore. I just need to BUILD. (And possibly get a frappucino because this whole process of finding something to calm the urge to build has been weirdly stressful. 

• Like 6

Yes! Buy some glue and choose something from your pieces that you've located, and just start working on it. You'll feel so much better. Plus as soon as you buy the glue, you'll find the box with 10 or 20 bottles of glue :) 

• Like 1