What's everyone working on?

Currently struggling to work out how to do the windows on my house. It's a modern house with some floor to ceiling windows. Half of my house has a hinged front but the other side with the sloped roof, the walls are and roof are fixed and you just look through the big windows and skylight. This is fine at the moment for acceds as there is no "glass" but once the window frames and glass are in I can't work out the best way to get access. Bad planning on my part I know but the house was made up as I went along and has evolved several times. Still stuck though. 

IMG_20180417_143104_205.jpg

2 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

Unless you've already bought the windows I'd suggest sliding doors, or just leave it open?

I am making simple custom ones to fit the odd shapes. I thought it would seem unfinished without windows 

I though about some being those bi- fold doors but that's a bit out of my skill set 

Could you make windows that appear fixed but are actually removable? I think I've seen some done so the glass (plexiglass, rigid plastic, or something similar) slides in along grooves and can be slid back out. Or maybe you could build the windows in frames that aren't glued to the house but attach with tiny magnets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abloom said:

Yes! Buy some glue and choose something from your pieces that you've located, and just start working on it. You'll feel so much better. Plus as soon as you buy the glue, you'll find the box with 10 or 20 bottles of glue :) 

I did buy glue (and a few other things, because I'm incapable of going to the craft store and coming out with just a single bottle of glue). I was going to stain the outside walls, but since they're MDF I'll need to create effects with paint, which means...I got to start gluing! I'm putting battens on the outer walls of the beach house and it's SO SATISFYING. I had to stop to get ready for my niece and nephew to spend the night, or I could have kept going for hours more. Aaaahhhhh, I feel like myself again and it's lovely!

(ETA: I didn't find the glue, but I did run across the box with the rest of the Orchid components. Oh, well, I know where they are now!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, abloom said:

Could you make windows that appear fixed but are actually removable? I think I've seen some done so the glass (plexiglass, rigid plastic, or something similar) slides in along grooves and can be slid back out. Or maybe you could build the windows in frames that aren't glued to the house but attach with tiny magnets. 

Oh i like the idea of magnets. Not sure how I would go about it but I will have a think, thank you! 

• Like 1

Mary, you sound like me. Sometimes you just need to glue something or paint a few bits to make the world seem right again. And you and I have a similar organization style, too. I was completely frustrated with the Yellow house build the other day, so decided to do some organizing. Worked on that for a few days then just HAD to paint or fiddle or DO something. I found a little wire chair from the original contents of the Yellow house and gave it a makeover. Quick one day project that I have no intention of putting back into the house, but it made me happy, and make me feel like I could actually finish something without a mishap.  

dh wicker chair.jpg

dh wicker chair done.jpg

• Like 1

I started working on a small Pennsylvania colonial stone house that would have been built around 1690. I'm using builders foam for the first time because I wanted my walls at least 1 inch thick. I thought I'd try working on the spiraling winder staircase first, having had the experience of the last step being slightly lower or higher than the second floor decking. After a while I put the staircase aside, having decided it would be much easier to glue it to the walls as I went along and taking my chances with the final tread.

Next I cut out the pices of foam that would be my front wall. I stared at it for a while and said to myself, you know, it would probably be a good idea to be sure that the door and window spacing looks good before you cut the holes out. I agreed. Fortunately, later that day a package arrived from Miniatures.com with the cottage door I had ordered. However, when I placed the door against the wall I realized it was too skinny - not what I had visualized at all. I had to make a new door from scratch. My older brain found this not as simple as my younger brain used to. I kept confusing myself and getting turned around, but I finally finished the basic door. Then I figured I better make a window I liked before I cut the hole for it too. I drew out a window, declared it good, but now I have to go buy more stripwood before I start to actually make it. 

• Like 2

I seem to get an idea in my head, then go to my stash to find I have everything but the one thing I wanted,,so I order that one thing, plus other things to make it worthwhile I have now ordered three different gingerbread tops for Joe's house but still they look wrong. My stash of stuff is growing like fungus but that poor house is still not quite finished. Each order seems to take about three weeks to get to me so everything seems like I am pulling hen's teeth.

• Like 3

I went to the craft store this morning to pick up some more stripwood to make a window. When I got home I went up to my old studio space above the garage to check on something and found 2 sticks of the same stripwood I'd just went out to buy, could have saved myself a trip. Not only that, but a few months ago I bought 3 packages of clay bricks at a really good price on ebay, well, I found 2 full packages above the garage! I should clean that room out and take the rest of my art and miniature supplies up to the third floor before I go and buy something else I already have. I did find a cute perfectly sized teapot charm at the craft store at buy one get one 50% off, so I bought 2 of them plus a few other little goodies on sale, so I guess the trip was worth it after all.

• Like 3

Thanks! I did make her dress, kind of a random design but it works for her. I used pink wool roving for her hair. It’s really too coarse for use as wigging but as long as I didn’t handle it too much it didn’t frizz out too badly. 

Karin, She is wonderful! 

As for me, I found the pattern for the rug I had in mind to use as a Wall hanging piece in the hacienda, and just look how Nell's wonderful painting sugits the colour combinations of the larger rug, I Will be using three colours from this one and see how it turns out. large.IMG_1434.JPG.c10eadd1e9fb930d52495

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Thanks! I did make her dress, kind of a random design but it works for her. I used pink wool roving for her hair. It’s really too coarse for use as wigging but as long as I didn’t handle it too much it didn’t frizz out too badly. 

She looks as if she could be one of the Gabor sisters. :D Love her!

Anna, the picture and rug were made for one another. What a happy accident. :) 

• Like 1