What's everyone working on?

1 hour ago, Sable said:

Use wallpaper paste so you can adjust the paper easily.

Paste both the paper and the ceiling to give you optimum "slip-slidey-ness" ... so the paper can glide to precisely where you want it.  

2 minutes ago, blueirishmoon said:

Just posted a picture of my newest completed rug. It took longer than I hoped! I know what I plan to work on next.

My grandmother would have LOVED that rug (full size) in her parlor.

Making progress on the Beacon Hill Rehab.  Posted pic in my Beacon Hill Rehab album of miniature cabinet I received posthumously from my sister.  My brother-in-law discovered the cabinet in a box that had my name written on it after my sister died of a very aggressive brain tumor.  It fits perfectly in the Beacon Hill.  We assume she intended to give me the cabinet for last years Christmas gift.

My sister made and sold miniature items in the 1970s.  After I started working with miniatures, she gave me what few items she had left from that time.  They are very special.

• Like 4

The climbing rose rug is gorgeous! 

Thrifty: Beacon Hill is looking amazing. I saw one of the photos in the gallery and thought it was a real house. Having your sisters gifts in the house will make it extra sentimental and special. I have needlework in my beacon hill (and some of my other houses) from grandmothers and even great grandmothers. 

Im still plugging away at the gingerbread cottage, in limbo right now. Experiencing the “I can’t do this until I do this and I can do this because this hasn’t arrived” phase.  I’ve had a few  glitches with lighting, I cheaped out and bought used on a few fixtures, usually I have good luck with that but my luck ran out because 3 if the lights I bought from different sellers are broken. So had to reorder new and wait and wait. I think they call that spending a dollar to save a dime? 

• Like 1

I just spent some mad money on an order from miniatures.com (they have their 25% off sale this week, so yay!). Some of it is intended for my current build, some of it is just random stuff that I liked, aka retail therapy. My (1:1 scale) house in Omaha finally (seriously, it has been a 3.5 month ordeal) closed Monday and I needed to celebrate somehow. Furniture, kits, accessories. I'll use it all somehow!

• Like 1

^ It’s always good when you can get what you need/want from one place. Paying separate shipping for everything which sometimes equates to paying double for the item gets soooo tiring.  Congrats on your rl house closing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

^ It’s always good when you can get what you need/want from one place. Paying separate shipping for everything which sometimes equates to paying double for the item gets soooo tiring.  Congrats on your rl house closing. 

Thank you! Of course, I realized after I'd placed the order that I need a few little hardware bits, but I think I might try another source for those just to get something different. But yeah, shipping--I generally like Alibris and ABE for books because you can get out of print stuff and used books at reasonable copies, but sometimes the shipping is more than the books. 

• Like 1

Well, I've begun another rehab project.....I guess it is more of a "finishing" project more than a rehab: the client had another miniaturist build a RGT Newport Special Edition for her and then just about the time she was ready to begin the interior, she moved out of state.  So, now I have the Newport and will be making the final interior finishes.  She has a light color palette/coastal vibe theme for the house.  I hope my work can live up to her expectations!

I will try to get pics taken this weekend so I can start another album for it.

And in between the Newport and other life projects, I continue to contemplate what my Jarrell Manor will become....  :) 

• Like 4

My Heritage rehab is starting to hit minor snags. I was tired and cranky (NEVER work on a house when tired or cranky) and decided to remove the shingles on the roof ridge, which turns out was a mistake. Will be replacing those this weekend.  I got the paint on the first floor stripped but the flooring boards are warped from when the prior owner painted them. I tried misting with water and weighting with books, which worked ok...until I left the weights off for a day and they just curled right back up. Not sure what to do, or leave as-is. Then, I dug through my stash and found the perfect sofa, then found the perfect wallpaper to go with the sofa. Hooray!! Then realized how many windows and doors and bits I'll have to paper around...templates anyone? Looks like it'll be a nightmare to pull it off, so debating if I'm going ahead with the paper (when I get to that part) or just use it on the dividing wall as an accent? I do have a plan for the house, as it's speaking up loud and clear about what it wants. The execution of that may take a while, though.   

• Like 1

Heritage roof is now 99.9% done! I'm glad I redid that roof and gable ridge after all! The back roof was just barely attached, so I reglued that, then replaced any damaged shingles, then redid the ridges. Looks great! I need to do a dirty wash on a few small areas, and patch and putty the interior seams, as there's a few places where the light shines through.

I also spent a morning adding wood to the foundation to reinforce everything. Still needs a ton of work, so I wonder when I'll be able to paint?

If anyone has any spare gable trim laying around, I'd be happy to buy it. One is missing, and the others are just a mess. I'm going to try and recut one from mat board and see what I get. I don't mind the look of the house without it, but I'd rather keep them.   

34 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

Very, very humble beginnings of Mr. and Mrs. Claus :) 

I cast from a new Santa mold yesterday. He has a sleeping head and a jolly one.  So cute. 

I can't wait to see them dressed and in the Mistle Dough Bakery!

• Like 1

Still working very slowly on my half scale bungalow.  If I do a little when I can I don't have as much problem with the pain in my hands.  Today I painted and shabbied up a bedroom set.  I feel like I am accomplishing and what's the rush anyway?  
Stay Cool!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roxxie2 said:

Thanks KathieB   If it takes me a year so be it!  However,  those other kits in the closet are calling.  lol  

If it takes a year, pat yourself on the back! I have projects that have been in progress for multiple years. I'm not admitting to how many years.  As for the other kits, close the closet door. :D 

• Like 1