What's everyone working on?

Got my beach house up on its pillars today.  Yeah......it fit.  Had to remove the old mini lights.  They finally bit the dust.  Put in a new string.  Removed the paper from the first floor porch.  I'm going to leave it just painted for now. (It was a faux stone paper)  waiting for glue to dry on the deck railing.  Roof reattached.  Thankfully all the doors still work, no damage from the move.  Now to get it's furniture from storage in MO.

Next is to decide where to put it.  My other half is being a jerk right now.  He just might be sleeping with dollhouses since he doesn't want them in the living room.  And he wonders why I'm not in a good mood.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I know how that can be! When we moved in to our current fixer upper it was a year before I could think about my dollhouses again. 

I’m waiting impatiently for a package that was sent priority mail (2 day) over 3 days ago. Originated in CA destination Utah, just tracked it and it’s been traveling all around Wisconsin for some bizarre reason. Ugh.  And I’ve already been waiting 6 weeks just to have it shipped after I ordered it. 

My son is having the same issue with something he ordered out of California....Must be a cheese festival going on in Wisconsin!

I signed up for text message updates for every time the package is scanned somewhere. All of a sudden I got about 10 of the texts at 2 in the morning...oh my....but at least it’s out for delivery and in the state of Utah. Funny thing is, it’s a new Santa mold. Santa does like to fly around a lot haha :) 

• Like 1

^^^ Forum glitch 

Today is the day I attempt to fix the ceiling on the first floor.  I used velum paper over the plexiglass to give it a frosted look and to hide the canister lights.  Over the winter it started peeling and bubbling.  Not sure if it was the extreme cold or bad/old spray adhesive...maybe both.  Unfortunately it stuck really well in a few spots and I am now scrapping little bits off with a razor blade. 

I’ve been avoiding it..1) because I’m still really upset that it happened, I put a lot of time and careful consideration into it.  2) not sure at this point which direction I want to proceed.   But its halting progress so it must be dealt with.  I feel like a construction foreman who is behind schedule and over budget.  I just hope there isn’t a union strike. :D

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Keifer said:

^^^ Forum glitch 

Today is the day I attempt to fix the ceiling on the first floor.  I used velum paper over the plexiglass to give it a frosted look and to hide the canister lights.  Over the winter it started peeling and bubbling.  Not sure if it was the extreme cold or bad/old spray adhesive...maybe both.  Unfortunately it stuck really well in a few spots and I am now scrapping little bits off with a razor blade. 

I’ve been avoiding it..1) because I’m still really upset that it happened, I put a lot of time and careful consideration into it.  2) not sure at this point which direction I want to proceed.   But its halting progress so it must be dealt with.  I feel like a construction foreman who is behind schedule and over budget.  I just hope there isn’t a union strike. :D

Goo Gone should remove the adhesive. Home Depot sells frosted plexiglass 

• Like 3

I use fabric glue for some paper projects.  I started out by repairing an old book.  It worked so well, I use it for lots of things - paper dollhouse accessory kits, etc.  Fabric glue doesn't seep through the paper, and bonds nicely.  It doesn't seem to dry out or turn brittle, either.

Thanks for posting about the fabric glue, Rosalind.  When I was making shoes for those jointed dolls I discovered quite by accident that it's good on several things besides fabrics.

Sanding the walls of the second floor of the Heritage today and tried to scrape out what I thought was a piece of 1/8" strip wood. Turns out it was the corner of one of those compound grooved moldings Duracraft liked to use. I caused just a wee bit of damage, but nothing that some glue and clamps and bits of wood won't fix. Oops.     

Haven't posted here in too long it seems! Have been keeping myself busy working on my half scale A Frame, as well as a bakery rehab, and two other builds currently. Thankfully the A Frame, which I started out with thinking it would be a nice quick "easy" build is just about done! I have no idea why quick and easy ever crossed my mind in regards to any build, b/c inevitably I always decide to do something just a bit "different" which ends up adding numerous steps. lol All in all though, I'm really liking the way it's looking -- I was trying to really do it up like an old A Frame in the woods or possibly along the coast -- weathered on the exterior by air and water, and for the most part I achieved that. Then the build started saying it likes to show it's age in this little story... but couldn't it have some folks that cared enough to start fixing it back up?!? So, I went from thinking just weathered and "rustic" to weathered and a definite modern-ish vibe on the interior in regards to finishings. Hoping to get a new album loaded here soon with my pics.

Has been great browsing through and seeing what you all have been up to lately!

• Like 1

Recently bought a McKinley Dollhouse Kit so have started looking at McKinleys here and on Pinterest (which often leads back to here).  It is exciting to plan a new build, but won't be able to start at least until after the Beacon Hill is finished.

But so far the plan for the McKinley is to raise the attic roof like MinisOnTheEdge, Alamom and Gleise have done (and probably others).  Have a disappearing fold down stairway in my stash to put in hallway ceiling for access to the attic.

Wonder if anyone has added inches to the depth of the house.  I realize that somewhat defeats the purpose of the space saving nature of this house.  But once I get the pieces out of the box, I am going to see how feasible and practical it will be to add between 1" to 3" to the depth.

Plan to use Miele appliances since I have quite a few in my stash.  Like the idea I saw (can't remember who) of putting the sink in the bay.  I do plan to remove the lower living room bay to hopefully make room for seating on the porch -- love a good porch.

After learning the name of the dollhouse is the McKinley, husband would like to see it as a four season lodge or cabin.  We have good memories of staying in lodges and cabins in Alaska and Montana.  Husband said he would help me with electrical (I don't think I will ever get anywhere near proficient to do that myself).  I think he is getting more and more hooked on this hobby.

Now off to finish the Beacon Hill.  Will continue to search out ideas for the McKinley while paint and glue on all those Beacon Hill trim pieces dry.

• Like 1

I got back to working on my Pennsylvania stone colonial house this past week or so. I finally made a window I was satisfied with, so I popped it and my door into place to take a better look. One of my inspirational photos has a whitewashed front facade, and initially I was going to finish at least the front that way too. Later I thought maybe I should paint the stones to look like stones, so I coated the front in a sandy color color for where the mortar would peek through. Many older stone houses were built with tighter fitting stones and didn't show a lot of mortar, which I actually prefer the look of. Now, however, I'm leaning back towards a whitewashed facade again, which, historically, would be correct.

I can finish the front door and shutter details any time, but I need to cut out the side wall where the fireplace will go next, so I really need to make up my mind, whitewash or natural stone? The more I think about it, the more I like whitewash..........Another inspirational house, built in the same era as the first one, had brick walls on the 2nd floor gables, which I liked more than the small stones used in the first house's gables. I have lots of clay bricks, on the other hand, I could etch the bricks into foam like I did the stones - but on the other hand (who knew we had 3 hands?) etching bricks is a lot harder to do than stones. If you make a mistake drawing out the bricks it can become very obvious. I should post pics of the 2 houses I'm thinking about. --- Here's mine as it sets right now.

IMG_2607.JPG

• Like 2

It looks beautiful Grazhina. I  love to see pictures of the houses. Las Vegas is a little over 100 years old, and I yearn for old historic architecture. I am in love with the revolutionary war era/ Colonial era.

That stone work is fabulous! You carved all of those? I think either way will look fabulous.

It's supposed to be in the 110 degree range the next few days, so no garage work on the Heritage at all for the next week or so. I do have some furniture and trim pieces that I can work on inside, though. I'm going to town early in the morning to see what Joanns has that I need, making a quick grocery run, then plan to spend the rest of the weekend inside with the air conditioner. I hate summer.