What's everyone working on?

I am back!  I just started getting back on the forum and seeing what everyone else is working on.  During the work progress on the real house and I was unable to work on the Cape May, so I started the Vineyard Cottage.  It is coming along, but I haven't touched it in 3 weeks :doh:  I need to get back to it and post new pictures in the album.  I have the exterior almost shingled and will be ready to paint it soon. 

But now the craft room, in the real house, is done and I can get back to the Cape May! 

And just the other day I stumbled upon a complete set of the Goebel Mini Stuart Library set!  I snapped it up in a heartbeat.  Now I know what to do with that wine case I have been holding onto for 5 years!  So many projects are now pulling me in so many directions. :headhurts:

I guess it is a good "problem" to have :happydance:

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, madtex1967 said:

I am back! 

Welcome back! You go, Matt! Sounds as if you're running at full speed to make up for lost time.

Hi..I'm pretty new to the group...I getting ready to build the Beacon Hill.  Ive only builtbone, the Duracraft farmhouse #505.  Im terrified and I'm surebi will need to ask questions...I'm waiting to get the Warm up sheet...I downloaded the reader but what now...?  Any advice us appreciated.  I'm in a wheelchair and may have some specific problems but I am very stubborn so we shall see!  Thank you so much!!

• Like 1

First of all, please calm down.  Several of our members build dollhouses from a wheelchair quite successfully.  IMO the instructions will be far more valuable to you than the Warm Up sheet; but from the tone of your post you most definitely want the Warm Up Sheet, as the first words on it are "Don't Panic!"

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Judy Buchsel said:

I'm in a wheelchair and may have some specific problems but I am very stubborn so we shall see!  Thank you so much!!

Stubborn is good! Not sure whether this would help but putting the house on a turn table, if it could be stabilized to stay put when you don't want it to turn.

• Like 2

Judy,  I enjoyed following your build and viewing the video of your finished Duracraft Farmhouse 505 on FB.  Looking forward to seeing your Beacon Hill.  It is a tall house and once built it can be a challenge to move about.  I have been working on my rehab Beacon Hill for a few months and am getting closer to calling it finished.  It is a beautiful house. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrchob said:

Stubborn is good! Not sure whether this would help but putting the house on a turn table, if it could be stabilized to stay put when you don't want it to turn.

I would love a turntable but I don't think I have room, but if I had a table with wheels on it then I could turn it when I wanted to...I'm trying to save for it...I don't have anyone to help me so I save till I can pay someone...that may take a while but I think I'm going to get a board and put it across two storage drawer chests I have...then I can use my work table that it is currently on.  I'm so glad to have found this forum!!  Thank you so much!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

First of all, please calm down.  Several of our members build dollhouses from a wheelchair quite successfully.  IMO the instructions will be far more valuable to you than the Warm Up sheet; but from the tone of your post you most definitely want the Warm Up Sheet, as the first words on it are "Don't Panic!"

Thank you so much!!  I just want to do a good job...so I won't panic..especially now that I have been fortunate enough to find this forum!!  

1 hour ago, thriftymini said:

Judy,  I enjoyed following your build and viewing the video of your finished Duracraft Farmhouse 505 on FB.  Looking forward to seeing your Beacon Hill.  It is a tall house and once built it can be a challenge to move about.  I have been working on my rehab Beacon Hill for a few months and am getting closer to calling it finished.  It is a beautiful house. 

Thank you so much!!  I'm glad you got to see the video!!  It is going to be something and yes it is a beautiful house!  I would love to see some of your pics please!  I'm sure I will have to put it on the floor to be able to reach it...but that will be fine...hope to talk to you again!!!

Judy, When looking for pictures of a particular house, I find it easy to go to Member's Gallery and put the name of the house in the Search feature.  Just to mention a couple current builds of the Beacon Hill that will come up in the search are WestPaces and KathieB (who also has a blog) and my rehab.  There are many more Beacon Hill albums that will come up in the Member's Gallery search.  Many of us have made albums of our builds and you might want to consider doing that also.

52 minutes ago, thriftymini said:

Judy, When looking for pictures of a particular house, I find it easy to go to Member's Gallery and put the name of the house in the Search feature.  Just to mention a couple current builds of the Beacon Hill that will come up in the search are WestPaces and KathieB (who also has a blog) and my rehab.  There are many more Beacon Hill albums that will come up in the Member's Gallery search.  Many of us have made albums of our builds and you might want to consider doing that also.

Yes, I will...I just have to learn how and I will do!!  Thank you!!  I saw yours and it's wonderful!!!

Judy, if anyone can come up with creative solutions to problems, it's this group! The Beacon Hill is a great house!

It's been unbearably hot, so just doing inside work. I sanded some little bits, and started painting a few bits of finish trim. I had to stop painting, as the AC was blasting so hard, the paint was drying too quickly. Hope to work on a few more furniture makeovers while I wait for the weather to improve. I had been waiting for it to be cool, dry and not windy to spray some sealer on the papers for the yellow house, but that's not going to happen for months, so I think I may just go ahead and install all of the new walls and be done with it.  

10 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Judy, if anyone can come up with creative solutions to problems, it's this group! The Beacon Hill is a great house!

It's been unbearably hot, so just doing inside work. I sanded some little bits, and started painting a few bits of finish trim. I had to stop painting, as the AC was blasting so hard, the paint was drying too quickly. Hope to work on a few more furniture makeovers while I wait for the weather to improve. I had been waiting for it to be cool, dry and not windy to spray some sealer on the papers for the yellow house, but that's not going to happen for months, so I think I may just go ahead and install all of the new walls and be done with it.  

Hi Stickyfingers!  I know how hit it's been!!  It's terrible in Florida!!  I build almost everything inside.  I wish it were Fall now!!  I have to go shopping and then I can start!!  I'm going to see if I can see some of your pics!!

• Like 1

Where in FL are you, Judy?  I'm just over the Perdido River from Pensacola, in Seminole,AL, after living most of my life in FL (grew up in West Palm Beach, went to UF, moved all over the country for 15 years and returned to live in Jacksonville and then Havana, N of Tallahassee (hence my username).

So on Tuesday I had one of *those* days. I had taken a mental health day (because of the vagaries of my job, I have to work every weekend this summer) and I wanted to work on minis. Gluing and painting and staining and making stuff is very therapeutic for me. I'd also planned to cut out some life-size pajamas that I'm sewing for my niece and nephew. By 10:30 AM:

~ I'd been up and downstairs and out to the garage at least 7 times trying to find everything I needed for a couple of "simple" projects (and this is after I'd stained/painted/sanded/prepped parts for the mini furniture the night before so I'd be all ready to go, argh).

~ I'd broken a piece of the mini chest I was trying to make.

~ I'd realized I cannot find the box where I'd packed my pins and needles (all my other sewing supplies are unpacked, but not the pins and needles).

~ I had reached a full stop on the mini sofa I'm re-upholstering because I couldn't find needles to tuft the back.

~ I realized the matte finishing spray must be with the pins and needles or in some other unearthed box entirely, and thus reached full stop on the Dragonfly corkboard kit I had decided was the one foolproof thing I could do.

Now, I could have run to JoAnn's for the pins, needles, and matte spray, and eventually I did. But traffic is a bear because of a huge air show going on this week in Oshkosh, and I just didn't have it in me to deal with it that day. And I was afraid if I tried I'd end up in a wreck in one of our infamous roundabouts. So I chucked it all and took a nap. Later in the day I did manage to work on the "piers" on the underside of my LaserTech Beach House, and custom cutting and mitering each piece turned into a slow (I'm still only about half done) but soothing process.

In the past two days, though, the fruits of a weekend shopping spree have come home to roost. On my kitchen table currently are a Realife Country Living Room Kit, which I'm going to mess around with a bit (most of the furniture will probably go in the beach house or into the witches' house); a kit from Amazon called "My Miniature Library" that makes 30 mini books--eventually many of those will go in the bookstore/coffee shop I'm making from a Duracraft Heritage kit; and one of those half-scale kits from China. It's called "Sam's Study," but I think it's supposed to be a corner of a bookstore. I'm going to make it and give it to my sister, who's an English professor, for Christmas. I opened up the kit and it's just delightful--little pre-cut, pre-painted wood pieces, teeny books to cut out and fold together, hardware, even an LED light fixture. I'm seriously in love and I'm tempted to swipe everything else of the table and start right now. I also ordered one of those kits for myself; it's a modern "apartment"--but it has a swimming pool so it's not the kind of apartment I could ever have afforded in my apartment days!! It won't arrive for another few weeks, but I have more than enough to keep me busy until it does.

I've been taking pics and I'll post some later. It's always a pain trying to get my phone and my computer to coordinate, but that might be what I do while I wait for glue to dry on something or other. I hope to make more progress on the beach house pier posts tonight, too. 

On 7/24/2018, 8:53:28, havanaholly said:

Where in FL are you, Judy?  I'm just over the Perdido River from Pensacola, in Seminole,AL, after living most of my life in FL (grew up in West Palm Beach, went to UF, moved all over the country for 15 years and returned to live in Jacksonville and then Havana, N of Tallahassee (hence my username).

Hi!  I live in Oviedo a little Northeast of Orlando.  I've only been living here for a little over 2 years.  I'm from San Antonio, Texas.  I have family here too so I spend part of the year there and part here.   Sounds like you have had an interesting life!!    

I have an old wooden refrigerator and a small stove that I'm going to makeover for the Heritage. The metal hinges on the fridge are rusty and loose and don't fit very well. I'm wondering if I can just remove them and use a strip of Tyvek for a hinge instead?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

I have an old wooden refrigerator and a small stove that I'm going to makeover for the Heritage. The metal hinges on the fridge are rusty and loose and don't fit very well. I'm wondering if I can just remove them and use a strip of Tyvek for a hinge instead?

That sounds like a plan.

• Like 1

Finished up these tiny 4 inch fairies that I had cast in the last porcelain batch. Their delicate, sweet faces are china painted. This was my first time using Tibetan lambs wool for doll hair, their hairdos got away from me fairly quickly but maybe that’s how they wanted it :) and little wild and wooly. These are so fun, little sewing table helpers! Their clothing is all silk. Wings I made from silk organza. 

3E0677DD-A396-42C7-9687-601CE2D5AA9F.jpeg

F43BFF47-81B7-4F1E-BF47-6712C17887F8.jpeg

36E2403F-08F6-453A-A11F-8C3E84C37C8D.jpeg

• Like 3