What's everyone working on?

I love them and thanks for sharing what materials you used . I do have a ?? How do you make the silk edges not ravel . They seem just cut with no hems . I have frey check but it leaves a stained look . So much to learn.

Your fairies are magical!  I'm a little worried about the one in blue and purple ... it looks like a "costume malfunction" is imminent!  I used lamb's wool for hair on a princess once ... she was the princess from "The Princess and the Pea".  I wanted her hair to look like she'd been caught in a downpour, and it had dried naturally.  It worked - but I like the look on your fairies better.  It gives the hair a lift, and life of its own.  That must be the magic vibrations coming from the fairies!

• Like 1

Thanks about the fairies everyone. 

Nell, I doused them in spray starch after using fray check on the edges. The other thing that works in stead of fray check is clear nail polish, but the thicker kind, not runny. If you get glue on the silk fingernail polish remover on a qtip will remove it. Use Fabri Tac glue. 

Rosalind so funny that you noticed the imminent wardrobe malfunction issue lol. 

The fairies are precious! I love their slightly wild look. Wild is something of an overstatement but I can't think of the right word to describe them. Whatever the word, the look is perfect. :D 

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Actually I think wild is what fairies are; untamed and free; fetter a fairy and he/ she dies.

I agree I have seen this painting that seems cute it’s one of the ones you paint with friends and drink wine. It’s a fairy in a jar with a lid on it and it lights up. I thought about how cute would it be to do that with a fairy doll and a mason jar. But in the end I just couldnt put a fairy doll in a jar with a lid one it. So I’ll do a lantern with a door so they can get out when they want to. 

• Like 4

I found the Architect's Choice (design 5 already built) dollhouse for free on Craigslist and couldn't resist so I went and picked it up. I want to do a '40s style farmhouse look so have been looking for instructions on how to make the geometric '40s linoleum for the kitchen. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts about doing this?

Edited by Hooknink
forgot info

6 hours ago, Hooknink said:

I found the Architect's Choice (design 5 already built) dollhouse for free on Craigslist and couldn't resist so I went and picked it up. I want to do a '40s style farmhouse look so have been looking for instructions on how to make the geometric '40s linoleum for the kitchen. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts about doing this?

I would go online (I just googled "geometric '40s linoleum" and found a shoal of sites & images) to find a design I liked,copy & paste one into Paint and resize it for scale and print it out on photo paper.  I would definitely prime the floor and give it a skim coat of spackle before gluing down the "linoleum".

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018, 1:04:30, NellBell said:

... a fairy in a jar with a lid on it and it lights up... So I’ll do a lantern with a door so they can get out when they want to. 

Check Pinterest for a tutorial on a fairy lantern.  There are several that use paper fairy silhouettes; no need to lock a fairy doll up!!

Last night I made a little box for my Thirty One consultant. Miniature Luxuries has started carrying these little MDF kits that are little boxes, tool boxes, tiny chests, etc. I bought a few last year at the Atlanta Show, and then in November took a couple classes at Miniature Designs that Cindy Crane (of Miniature Luxuries) taught. They are so basic and simple that I bought a few more for quick projects and little gifts. It took maybe 3-4 hours to complete, so that was fun.

https://miniatureluxuries.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15_94&zenid=6ec2bb7a6dfa66d86dafb6d432c614d3

box resized.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_1851.thumb.JPG.936c52a8d1d37c12072b3I have been working on the roombox I got from Jackie. It is coming along nicely, just hit a snag for a while when trying to decide what wallpaper to use. I went for a texture one and am still not sure if that looks right to me........ sigh.......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soapz said:

I have been working on the roombox I got from Jackie. It is coming along nicely, just hit a snag for a while when trying to decide what wallpaper to use. I went for a texture one and am still not sure if that looks right to me........ sigh.......

I like the texture, at least in the photo. Once you have added curtains, paintings, and other decor, the texture won't be quite so in-your-face.

Holly, if you click on the photo to enlarge it, it pops up right side up. :D 

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I learn something new every day.  Thank you for that!

I swear technology is always a step ahead of us ... maybe two steps ahead of some of us :D 

• Like 1

I finally managed to upload pics of one of my current builds -- and my apologies to all, as I and site were having a few issues. Right now all of my pics for the Half Scale A Frame album are in triplicate I believe, but I promise I have asked Emily to help me by deleting the duplicates! Anyways, that will show where I'm at/going with my first half scale build. I decided to tackle that right before I found my Queen Anne Row House. Have been using this little cabin as a learning experience both in trying out new to me finishes and aging techniques, as well as just making sure I'm getting dimensions and such right for this scale... it has definitely proven interesting every step of the way! lol

42 minutes ago, minikelli said:

...-- and my apologies to all, as I and site were having a few issues...

What a nice way to put it - it took me 30 minutes trying to upload the picture and it still shows sideways......... sigh......... technology.......

• Like 1

I uploaded 3 pictures to my gallery. One got uploaded twice by mistake.

The house is modeled after one built in 1690 in eastern Pennsylvania, but I think the interior will be set as an elderly woman's home in the 1830's. She's a descendant of the original builder and wanted to live in the old family home. There's going to be a faux closet under the stairs. The fireplace needs a little more embellishment, but I think it does look like it's been used for 140 odd years. The bricks are Houseworks clay ones this time.