What's everyone working on?

5 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Still waiting anxiously for pictures.  I'm glad you're sharing your thoughts/progress on the kit.  It is very intriguing. 

I almost forgot! Thanks for reminding me. I started an album. I have a couple components that I realize I dont have photos of. I'll try to take more in process photos, too. 

6 hours ago, Tiaannabelle's Mom said:

Hi, Miranda! I would be very interested in a Paris coffee shop! Could you share information re: the kit?

thanks,

mary helen

This is the kit Mary Helen

https://www.amazon.com/Flever-Dollhouse-Miniature-Creative-Furniture/dp/B077HRM9TJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535577466&sr=8-3&keywords=paris+cafe+kit

This is my second Flever kit and, so far, I'm really enjoying it! I did a smaller one last year called Happy Times and it was so cute! If you've not done these before you may want to start with one of the smaller kits. I finished that in just a couple days.

Here's a link to the Happy Time kit I did https://www.amazon.com/Flever-Dollhouse-Miniature-Creative-Furniture/dp/B074YXY8F5/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535577582&sr=8-4&keywords=flever+happy+times

Thanks, Miranda! Just looked at all the Flevers on Amazon—adorable! can’t believe I’ve never heard of them before! Kneedeep in my Dura Craft VM 800 I built in about ‘82, but then never touched again til a little over a year ago (when I also did an Hispanic souvenir shop/restaurant for the Miniatures.com contest last year—didn’t win, but LOVED doing it!)

• Like 1

Had fun today making my first doll’s doll. I have a few Ethel Hicks dolls’s dolls in my collection, so happy to be able to add to that toy collection with some that I made myself. I would make a doll shop to display them, but it’s really hard on my eyes painting this small, don’t know how Ethel has done it all these years. Was fun to come up with her costume just playing around with scraps of ribbon and lace. 

9E021882-0A5D-4AA7-8227-0F4898759DA6.jpeg

10DAA938-F7A4-4610-8D87-87E0134E399B.jpeg

• Like 4

I have a big standing magnifier Ott light I use for painting my dolls. But these are beyond tiny work. Typically doll’s dolls just have a black dot for eyes, I made an iris and pupil the same as I do for my other dolls, even on the bear.

This is my magnifier light, highly recommend to anyone doing Miniatures or especially painting dolls! I had an Ott light previously that had a plastic lens, it was ok, but this one is a large glass lens, so no distortion. Like a different world from the plastic one. 

https://www.joann.com/ottlite22w-storage-lamp-with-magnifier/13774971.html#q=Magnifier%2BStorage&start=1

81267794-4D87-4898-AB58-72DBFB844364.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Anna, this is wonderful!  I think you have designed a great dog-house.  I like the lookout railing on top, and the way the roof overhangs either side.  No rain pooling around the sides of the house, it will all run off and disappear.  Puppy will have a warm, dry haven!

• Like 1

I'm working on my alexandria. It's almost done thank goodness. =) But if someone could give me schematics for the roof. Like shape and measurements ? I'd really appreciate ! I lost some pieces over the years apparently and I'm going to make them out of foam core or something.

Lawson goes and plays table top games at a store about 40 minutes away every Saturday.  Yesterday, me and my husband were in the next town over, and decided to stop by and see him on our way home.  I checked out the terrain section, and ended up getting a cute little house to build.  It's for 28mm figures, so looks to be approximately 1/4 scale, maybe a little bigger.  It comes with fake fur to make a thatched roof, and I've never done that before so that will be neat.  Plus, it apparently was pretty old stock, so I got it 30% off, which was unexpected!  Today I got as far as taking everything out and reading the directions once through.  Hopefully tomorrow I can start building it.

Thanks Rosalind and Holly!  I had forgotten about Deb's Samurai house.  This house is very tiny, only about 6" long.  The instructions actually had a tip on how to finish it, but I'll take a look at Deb's blog too and see how she did hers.  

Lawson asked me earlier if I had started on it yet, I think he was excited that I had bought something.  And I always like to support the businesses that support Lawson.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a really nice resin fireplace in my stash and my first instinct was to take parts of it to use with some of my fairy doors. But I just couldn’t ruin it. So, I took molding goop (it has a name but escapes me right now) from my supplies and made a mold of the fireplace. Once the mold was cured I put premixed grout into it and now I have to wait a few days for the grout to harden. It should be interesting to see how it turns out. Problem Solving is my favorite part of being a miniaturist

I'm ready to start another build but I have absolutely no place to put one more house!!  My last build is sitting forlornly on the floor where it ended up a couple of months ago.   I can't convince the other person in this house to help me out with the space issue.  I took several house kits out of the closet yesterday and started to see which one wanted me to start on them next.   I am thinking the half scale farm house being the smallest of the kits I have in my stash other than a room box.   Time to hit the consignment store and see if I can find a shelf unit maybe?    I did go through and clean my craft area but impossible to throw anything away that I "might need".  lol You know how that goes...right?  

For those of you who remember, I bought a faucet that I wanted to turn sideways so it would attach to the wall instead of to the sink. So I bent the faucet out, didn't like it, couldn't cut it, so bent it back.

Tonight I realized I didn't have to bend it if I could cut it at just the right angle. So I used the wire cutters again and this time I cut towards the back of the blades, thinking maybe they were dull in the middle (I've had them a long time).

Well, they cut all right. Cut the faucet and sent (presumably) both pieces flying somewhere across my room. That was this afternoon and tonight I'm still looking for them.

That concludes this day's work on anything miniature.

And so help me God if any of you laugh, I'll hear you!

• Like 1

Holly, I'll give you a pass on the "coughing"...this one time. :ohyeah:

I did fine one piece late last night in my usual way - I stepped on it. Naturally, it was the piece I cut off. I still haven't found the piece I need.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of alcoholics started life as miniaturists.

• Like 1

I’m playing around with this 3D pen. I wanted to see if I could make wrought iron fence or gates. I decided to play with the green and yellow to avoid wasting the black, but now I see all sorts of possibilities. It’s gonna take some practice though, and less coffee!

A6DFCEBA-851E-47E8-AFD3-E17C72469C08.jpeg

• Like 5

Since I don't have my puppy ( waiting once again on another Yorkie pup)  I ordered a General Store kit to work on.  I am just in the planning and labeling parts phase not sure how I am going to do it.  I always wanted to do a country store maybe with a Christmas theme.  Not sure yet.  I really needed a project to keep my mind off from the puppy disasters of late.  I am off the see what kinds of stores are in the Gallery.  :) 

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018‎ ‎2‎:‎18‎:‎27‎, Lita said:

I’m playing around with this 3D pen. I wanted to see if I could make wrought iron fence or gates. I decided to play with the green and yellow to avoid wasting the black, but now I see all sorts of possibilities. It’s gonna take some practice though, and less coffee!

Ohhh what's this cool toy?   What is the green material you are using?   Does it have different kinds of pen points to make different effects?   This looks way too interesting for me not to find out!!! 
Looked it up an Amazon.  Not sure what I would use it for but it might have possibilities!