What's everyone working on?

I prefer to think of it as "working creatively", rather than "fixing mistakes".  Quite often, any creative "adaptations" improve the look and or character of the project.  In fact, I think they usually turn out to be my favourite parts!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grazhina said:

or hide them all. 

Smoke and mirrors :D 

6 hours ago, Shy Spirit said:

Quite often, any creative "adaptations" improve the look and or character of the project.

True. Happy accidents. :) 

I finished the General Store, still haven't taken pictures for my blog.   I ordered an old Canterbury House from Ebay.   I always worry about getting kits from there due to conditions of an older kit and where the kit has been stored.   I thought I would take a chance because I just love this little house.

Ohhh!!!  Checked in the Gallery and found tons of great photos of this cute little house!!!  I want to see if I can lower the second floor to make it more useable.  I don't have a saw so probably not going to happen unless I use my trusty foam board.  

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.763ad14ebc78b5584f1cdd

• Like 1

I found pretty close in my city this beautiful folk art (I think it's what it is, but if anybody has a different opinion or facts, please pitch in!) house that i picked up yesterday to renovate. In my countless hours surfing the net, watching tons of different dollhouses from lots of different times, places and styles, this is the first time that I see this house layout, which I loved as soon as I found the post at Facebook Marketplace, with one exception that I need to figure out how to solve. Any ideas are welcome! the particular problem is that on the first floor there is a room behind the staircase that there is no way to see, let alone work on, or finally show and decorate. One of the ideas that I have is try to tear down the wall, but since it is a very thick wood this would be very hard to do; another idea is to remove the staircase and open another door to be able to reach this room. Don't know where to reposition the staircase if this is the way to go. :hmm:

I am also planning to remove all the floorings, maybe, and I already removed the curtains and washed them to see what can be saved or tossed. I don't like either the roof tiles, so this has to go. I want to keep a bare roof. My son suggested to paint the roof dark green and the outside walls white with mint green for the trims. I like this idea. For the inside walls I still don't know if paint them or if wallpaper them. Anyways, I am very excited about this project! I have almost all the furniture to fill it. The house came with a bunch of plastic furniture that I am not going to use. Some could have some value because is the plastic that has stuff painted or engraved on them. I will post pictures later of this. I want to wash them first. I am also planning to update the lightnings.

42787662_2209426799130024_7380905004732776448_n.jpg

42714563_2209426789130025_7362410424584634368_n.jpg

42730724_2209426865796684_5669153017341935616_n.jpg

42788042_2209436115795759_5913636600373313536_n.jpg

42700079_2209426702463367_8403015845751554048_n.jpg

42727652_2209426619130042_7605528354044772352_n.jpg

42816390_2209426515796719_8728070154807672832_n.jpg

42769083_2209426639130040_8797782851320807424_n.jpg

42723478_2209426715796699_423359083895062528_n.jpg

• Like 1

If you remove the staircase and can remove that wall (it looks like the plywood paneling that covered all of our walls in our house in Havana, FL) you could either put the stairs back in where they were, or leave them out and let them be in the invisible part of the house we can't see.

I just finished up my Christmas Gift Box.  I added some LED "fire" lights to my fireplace...not sure what I think of them.  :hmm: They don't really "flicker" like I imagined- there is one solid and two blinking, and "blinking" is the key here- not "flickering".  Oh well, for this instance it will be ok.  Now I just want to see if I can change out the battery operated LED for a bigger and brighter bulb??  Not sure I can manage that without totally destroying it!  

Also, I've used this as a chance to learn how to use the button cell battery w/ switch set.  I removed the battery pack from the Christmas tree lights and hooked up the cell pack, and then hooked another one onto the fireplace LED lights.  Love how easy it makes turning on the lights with those little switches!  :)  The thing I've learned is that I maybe should purchase a wire stripper as I damaged several fingernails trying to strip them.  They were tons more difficult to do compared to working with dollhouse lighting! Anyway- with a little practice, and the right tools, I will conquer my fear of lighting projects! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

If you remove the staircase and can remove that wall (it looks like the plywood paneling that covered all of our walls in our house in Havana, FL) you could either put the stairs back in where they were, or leave them out and let them be in the invisible part of the house we can't see.

I'm with Holly. I'd remove the stairs and wall to enlarge the room, and I'd leave the stairs out altogether.

Does anyone have pictures of the Canterbury furnished?   I saw excellent exterior photos in the Gallery but none furnished.  Trying to decide if I want to make it a cute little Gingerbread house or something else.  Thanks

1 hour ago, Roxxie2 said:

Finished the General Store.   I found it difficult to take good pictures through the windows which leave a glare with the flash and too dark without flash.  
Thanks for visiting my blog  https://roxysmm.blogspot.com/

Amazing how much inventory you can get on those shelves. Adorable shop. I tried to comment on your blog but I guess my password is wrong.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

No idea but I like it!!  Looks like you have your work cut out for you!!  :)

Pretty much! but lots of work ahead for me.

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

6 hours ago, KathieB said:

I'm with Holly. I'd remove the stairs and wall to enlarge the room, and I'd leave the stairs out altogether.

I will consider this option, although I kind of like to have my houses as functional like in real life as possible, not to leave too much to the imagination. Thinking about this I would probably consider to transform the window of that "invisible" room into an extra outside door that will lead to the kitchen, part of that room could be a laundry room as well.....

greenhouseext.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shy Spirit said:

Perhaps you would consider a spiral staircase?  They don't take up as much space, but give you a valid way for your miniature people to get to the next level.

I would consider it, thanks for the idea. I was able to remove today the wall behind the stairs, so now I can plan better my options. I removed almost all the floors and some of the wallpapers. I also removed the jungle of wires at the attic. I clean with soap and clorox everything, inside and outside.

On 2018-11-12 20:06:34, SewMini said:

Hmmmmmmm this could be dangerous!

Love that you are able to find the items needed, as for kitties, I know I can order 1/48 svale cats, are there Any colours and poses in particular you are looking for? 

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018‎ ‎3‎:‎34‎:‎16‎, Sable said:

Amazing how much inventory you can get on those shelves. Adorable shop. I tried to comment on your blog but I guess my password is wrong.

Hmmmm!   I was having trouble getting into my own blog yesterday plus when I went to see how the pictures went up they didn't show up the first time.
Aliens again messing with my minis!!!
I made way too many printie groceries I had enough for two stores!  
I'll go check my blog and see what's going on.  Thanks :)

I just checked my blog, was able to get right in.  You shouldn't have a problem getting in if you use this link.  Please let me know if it doesn't work ok?  Roxy's Blog

2 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

I just checked my blog, was able to get right in.  You shouldn't have a problem getting in if you use this link.  Please let me know if it doesn't work ok?  Roxy's Blog

The blog works fine. I’m just never able to leave comments in the comment section since it requires a Google account and I can’t remember my password and it is difficult to retrieve it. That’s why I made the raving review here instead.

• Like 1

I’ve been trying to finish up the Mistledough Cafe and get the baked goods made. I haven’t used polymer clay for so long, the first day was just trying to remember how to do it. I was baking things that weren’t meant to be baked like faux frosting etc. then caught the hang of it again. Last summer I had bought some supplies from Ruth Stewart,Stewart Miniatures, the tiny custom needle syringes, some molds and her frosting mix. So fun when you have the tools that make it easier. I had also picked up some mouse market molds, those are nice to use too and make everything faster and easier and look much better than my sculpting would look if I had to do it without molds. I’m not very good at polymer clay, I have a hard time keeping the scale in check, left on my own everything would look more like Barbie scale so the molds are very helpful in that sense too. Having fun and making a big mess but the bakery cases will be filled up soon. Still need to make pies, jello molds, cupcakes and whatever else comes to mind. Thank goodness for YouTube tutorials :) I gave myself through the weekend to get the food done, after that real life intervenes and takes over until mid February. Aside from a mother and child nativity (won’t take long, dolls are finished just need to drape their robes) and a few Christmas tree fairies which will just have loose chiffon clothing, dollmaking and dollhousing (verb) will be on hold for the next few months unfortunately. 

So that San Franciscan I got is definitely going to be my niece's. She came over today and while I was trying to get out everything to put up the Christmas tree, she found the kit and said, "Can I play with this dollhouse RIGHT NOW?" I opened the box to show her it was all in pieces and we would have to build it, and by the time I went out to the garage and came back with a box of lights, she had pieces laid out on the floor and was ready to start. She held up some shingles. "Look at all these! They can be books for Belle's library!" I showed her the directions and promised we will get started as soon as the semester's over (in addition to my 'part-time' museum job, I'm adjuncting at a local college for one course). We talked about what the rooms could be: Rapunzel's tower, Belle's library, Tiana's kitchen, and Clara's bedroom (from the Nutcracker, which she is currently obsessed with). 

When her mom came to pick her up, she showed her the kit. "Look at this dollhouse. I'm going to help Aunt Mary make her dollhouse!" 

I said, "It's going to be your dollhouse."

Her eyes got huge. "It's going to be my dollhouse!"

She fell asleep on the 3-minute drive to her house. Probably dreaming of her dollhouse-to-be.

• Like 5