What's everyone working on?

You guys!!!!! I am over the moon today. I stopped into the local swap store just to get out of the house and look at the poor unfortunate soul I found for a mere $20!

32521624388_42a7918a22.jpg

It's a bit like the Orchid but different. It's definitely a kit but I have no idea what maker. It's not any Greenleaf that I know of. I brought it home and pulled out some of my minis from the Casa

44576687190_6123363407.jpg

It definitely needs a lot of TLC. This will be the kitchen

32521624588_5f2b343549.jpg

I can fit the bed I have in the room upstairs but not with the headboard and foot board. I may just have to make another bed. They're easy enough to make

32521624568_9d092897c5.jpg

I thought the top room would make a sweet little living room type area. I tried getting the bed in this room but the staircase opening cuts into the room too much. Plus I kind of like the cozy look with the furniture and the fireplace.

46342851122_0a205db49c.jpg

This little window bench make a perfect spot to sit with the carved table I made

44576687220_30ae366445.jpg

The only bummer is that I have to forego a bathroom. The only way I think I can fit one is if I take over a corner of the kitchen and put in a super Danish tiny bathroom. The other option would be to put in a tiny kitchen in that front room and then make that other room the bathroom BUT that would be a REALLY big bathroom by Danish standard. I'm still working on Maya's Garden lodge and need to finish that before I can work on this but I'm so excited!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SewMini said:

I stopped into the local swap store just to get out of the house and look at the poor unfortunate soul I found for a mere $20!

Great find!  How wonderful that so much of your furniture fits!  The window seat is perfect for that carved table, and I really love the living room set-up upstairs.  That sofa in the niche could not have worked out better.

• Like 1

I was soooo excited when my little couch fit right in there. That's the reason I really want to keep that like a litle living room area. I won't keep the carpet. I just wanted to see how it looked. I may also switch out the chair for something a bit more cozy. A fat armchair perhaps. 

You know. I wonder if what I could do is actually forego a bedroom. I could make a new couch but have it be more of a daybed then I can use that small room upstairs as a bathroom. Hmmmmmm. That may be the answer. You know, something super cute with lots of pillows and maybe some storage underneath?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SewMini said:

You know, something super cute with lots of pillows and maybe some storage underneath?

Ooh.  That would be nice.  We used to have a futon sofa bed like that.  The back opened down to make a full-sized bed, and it had drawers underneath, where we kept sheets and blankets.  Lots of little throw pillows would make it cozy and comfy.

I just finished my sister's Christmas gift: one of those half-scale roombox kits from Robotime. It's a little bookstore, which is perfect for my English professor sister. 

I've been working on the kit off and on since this summer, and it's the first one like this that I've done (it's also my first time with a smaller scale). I have since bought a couple more kits to make for myself, but haven't had time for them yet. I really like the kit, though. The directions seem difficult to parse at first, but if I made myself slow down and go step by step, most of it wasn't difficult at all. The accessories are time-consuming (some of the books have printed pages, some are wood pieces with covers glued on, and some are actually boxes with book spines and edges printed on them), but the furniture went together really quickly, as all the pieces were pre-cut and painted. I even made a working light! I switched out the plain red fabric of the chair for something I had on  hand that seemed more my sister's style, and instead of painting the walls I covered the inside with deep green mulberry paper and the outside with some scrapbooking paper that looks like dictionary pages to go with the theme. I'll post some pictures here once I get a chance to take them. 

Now if I could only find a display case for a reasonable price! She has two little ones and a dog, so I'd love to find some way she can keep the dust out--along with Lego Batman and Fisher Price Disney princesses. The pieces are really too little and the accessories too fragile to be played with intensely.

Oh, and the other first: this was my first time using silicon glue. I'm kind of in love with the stuff! It's not perfect for everything, but it grabs quickly and seems to work with a number of different materials. 

• Like 2

Pictures, please!  This display case might work:  https://www.amazon.com/Versatile-Acrylic-Display-Cover-A059-CDS/dp/B07B4GW8Z5/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_201_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8BT7FBEHSXBGJFRQE99R  Not sure what you would consider a reasonable price, and, unfortunately, it would arrive after Christmas.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Pictures, please!  This display case might work:  https://www.amazon.com/Versatile-Acrylic-Display-Cover-A059-CDS/dp/B07B4GW8Z5/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_201_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8BT7FBEHSXBGJFRQE99R  Not sure what you would consider a reasonable price, and, unfortunately, it would arrive after Christmas.

Thank you, Deborah--I decided to go to the big box craft store on my way home from work, and found a basketball display case for around $20 after I'd used a coupon. Crossing my fingers it works better than everything else I've tried--I had tried a terrarium and then a clear shoe box that both were listed as having the right dimensions, but they were each 1/2" shy or so. The basketball case *should* work, but I won't know until I get home tonight... (when I can take some pictures, too ;).

• Like 1

Okay, who wants to hear the kicker end to this story? 

A) My sister loved it when she unwrapped it last night, so yay! She also laughed a bit uncontrollably and said she would explain later...

B) This morning, when we unwrapped presents from Santa, guess what I got? The same kit! Also the same book I put into her shoe for St. Nicholas Day. We know each other almost too well. 

(I will say this: though I'm delighted to have the kit because I, too, am a bit obsessive about books, the one I made from her came from a Chinese company and was great. Very easy to put together, good quality materials, and it included the silicon glue and batteries. This one is from Fat Brain Toys, and what I've noticed so far is that some of the pages printed with book covers and other items are wrinkled in the bottom of the box, there is no silicon glue, and when I went to put one of the small cabinets together with tacky glue (everyone else was building Legos; I had to make something!), I had a terrible time because the pieces, small as they are, are warped and I had to force hold them in place to get the glue to stick. I will probably take it apart, flatten the boards under some books, and try again.)

• Like 1

I've been busy the last week doing finishing touches on my French Country House. You probably read about my adventures with Sue Cook Miniatures Doorcases - I had a ton of fun with those and love the end results - well worth the expense and effort. I just wallpapered the 3rd floor hall today, still need to add chair rail, crown and baseboards but its finally all coming together. Really just one other room to wallpaper - a bathroom in the attic of one of the wings. 

I was able to get the 3 oeil-de-boeuf dormers in the 3rd floor installed, and the interior trim as well. Still have to finish spackling the gaps in the 3rd floor hall one, as I just glued it on today.  I've been painting the french doors and windows. These are my least favorite job in this house. Besides struggling over what colors, I just don't enjoy painting doors and windows.  And since I changed my mind on the colors after 2 times, repainting a 3rd color on one door hasn't made it easier, its thicker and not as smooth. And then, the mullions are a huge challenge. I wish I had sprayed them this past summer. I also figured out I had to remove the doors (they have brass hinges) from the frame, to really do a nice paint job, that added time, especially for the ones I'd already painted. 

The windows get installed from the inside, unlike most other houses, and then you paint and attach the window trim on the exterior. So now that I decided to stick to white windows, I think I'm going to do grey/stone stippling on those exterior trim pieces, they will then look more like stone - like the quoins and the other eaves trim I have on the house. Of course I didn't write down which paint colors I used, so now I'm back to experimenting on the greys and such. Hopefully I will pin down those and then start churning them out too. There are 13 windows, so that's 52 pieces of trim to base paint and then stipple. While there are a quantity, they are easy to paint, way easier than doors and windows.

Oh..yeah, I have to paint 4 interior doors and trim for the 2nd and 3rd floors. 

3rdFloorHall.png

• Like 2

Working on repainting the exterior of The Saint Charles by Majestic Mansions. I bought it this past spring? and built the kit. I painted it several coats of paint. The color did not turn out how I liked, it was an orangish shade on the dollhouse (not in the can). Anyway, I didn't want to keep it that color but wasn't sure what to do with it so I put it aside in the garage for another day. so today, decided to work on it. I found a similar color in my "paint cabinet", it's a red. I have painted one coat, needs another coat but i'm happy with the change. :) This kit is pretty cool, it comes with exterior trimwork. I think I will paint it black, haven't quite decided.

Thanks, haven't been here for quite awhile. I haven't worked on minis much, but I still collect ;). I am getting myself psyched up by looking at all the eye candy on the site and on facebook!  I like this kit, it is very different and I like the profile of it for storage/display. :) 

• Like 1