What's everyone working on?

That’s a lot of painting to do Heidi! It is rather tedious isnt it? I remember HATING that part of the process with the Beacon Hill I built. 

Well, I sat down the other day and had a little heart to heart with myself. I kept going over and over the layout for my little cottage trying to get things to work and I finally realized it just wouldnt work as a house foe me for various reasons. The main one being I just have to have stairs. It’s a weird thing with me. Having invisible parts of houses bothers me lol. If I have a house, it’s going to have all the necessary rooms for me (eg living/dining, kitchen, bedroom, bathroom AND STAIRS) Plus I have my Glencroft and I realized I just need to make that. It’s a beatidul house and has everything I want.

SO what to do with my little cottage? Well, I had originally wanted to make my Glencroft a wizard shop so that’s what Im going to do with my cottage! Im going to make it a wizard’s supply store and tea shop. The downstairs will be supplies area while the upstairs will be a little place where they can get tea and read through available wizarding books. I was jokingly thinking of calling it “Wands a Million” as a hat tip to the old book store Books A Million. 

It solves so many problems. No trying to squeeze a bed and bathroom upstairs. No need to try to squeeze living room AND dining room furniture in downstairs. And the fact that the windows in the side room on the first floor are too low for kitchen counters wont matter because I’ll make that the check out area.

after I got all that worked out in my head I was able to sleep again :D

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Miranda, if it's a wizard supply shop it wouldn't need stairs, because the customers can apparate to the tearoom.

You may still need them for the Hermione’s of the world who would still want to thumb through the books but arent supposed to do spells outside of school while underage. We don’t want them to get expelled! 

• Like 1

Loaded the kiln this morning with a new batch of beauties :) Thank you Mrs. Claus! 

I think this is going to be the year of the Primrose. I’ve had two in my stash for many moons and I’m thinking one at least kinda witchy.  I only have room and attention span for Primroses right now :) I’m also wanting to redo the interior of my Beacon Hill. New curtains, flooring, oil paintings and fixing some things I did that I don’t know what it was thinking frankly. At least that project won’t take up space to accomplish. 

• Like 1

Yep, Miranda, tedious indeed. Interesting the talk you had with yourself, and having a resolution to your dilemma. I too spent too much time debating with myself on dollhouse matters, to the point of inactivity.  Not terribly healthy for me.

Karin- sounds like you're back on a roll with your dolls, what Fun!

Took me most of the day to get 9 sets of window frames painted, stippled and attached. Will have to do the last 4 sets this weekend. I feel like I reached a major milestone with these!

large.windowframes.png.4633c4d545057c64e

• Like 2

I finally completed the shell of this micro dollhouse by Robin Betterley. As near as I can tell it is about 1:72...it is about twice the size of the 1:144 we’ve seen on eBay lately. I lost one of the windows and had to make it from scratch; it’s not perfect but I’m happy how it worked out. Still to do: greenery and furniture that will make it look more realistic.

84381B63-91DC-4C81-B050-121421BD9BB8.jpeg

• Like 4

It is so much fun coming home to a find that the minis you ordered a while back finally Arrived....

one of the boxes Held Ceramic vases in different shapes and forms as well as colours. (The ones on the top Row om the Left are in soft pink Tones) and the other Box Held the Brown Ceramic vases as well as plates, platters etc that I used in the hacienda for the taco dinner. It has been fun sorting stuff to this evening! large.IMG_2284.JPG.dcc0056897d10d9549a02large.IMG_2283.JPG.e13ee0621d9e63d35b9dd

• Like 4

I like the soft colours, Anna.  Whenever I buy a little something like that, I spend time handling the item, appreciating the texture of the glaze versus the feel of the unglazed material beneath, the "real" weight of a pottery/ceramic object (as opposed to a plastic/wooden one).  It feeds my imaginings of the miniature person who will heft the vessel in their arms, and go about their miniature business.  I can go into raptures over one little jug - and just look at your beautiful collection!  Do you have plans for them all already? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shy Spirit said:

I like the soft colours, Anna.  Whenever I buy a little something like that, I spend time handling the item, appreciating the texture of the glaze versus the feel of the unglazed material beneath, the "real" weight of a pottery/ceramic object (as opposed to a plastic/wooden one).  It feeds my imaginings of the miniature person who will heft the vessel in their arms, and go about their miniature business.  I can go into raptures over one little jug - and just look at your beautiful collection!  Do you have plans for them all already? 

That is what I do too and yesterday evening I just arranged them a little on shelves, then packed them up and put them in different patterns amongst themselves etc just because I could LOL. Going to dive into My boxes with other ceramics as well to see what else I might have around too. As for plans, sort of as I am ok going to attend a work shop making tulips last weekend in January (along with My MIL) so I do know I Will need atleast two vases but I am not sure of what colour so I just "had" to get one of each avaliable to see it that Will be the one, right?!? (That is My excuse and I am sticking to that :) ) 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019, 4:24:34, Lita said:

I finally completed the shell of this micro dollhouse by Robin Betterley. As near as I can tell it is about 1:72...it is about twice the size of the 1:144 we’ve seen on eBay lately. I lost one of the windows and had to make it from scratch; it’s not perfect but I’m happy how it worked out. Still to do: greenery and furniture that will make it look more realistic.

84381B63-91DC-4C81-B050-121421BD9BB8.jpeg

Well that is just adorable. Well done!

• Like 1

So I’m in Vero Beach for the month and I’m determined to finish the Cottage. I finished the slate roof. I think I was stalled for a year because I just wasn’t thrilled with the interior gray paint. So I repainted the entire house inside and out with SW Pure White. I really like the contrast of the slate against the white. The LED lights needed some tweaking so that’s been completed. Today I’m using my mouse sander to sand the floors. Later today I’ll  restain them and start the process to apply polyurethane. The next step is the dreaded trim which needs to be paper towel sanded, primed and painted before I can start the tedious mitre cuts. I need a new mitre saw blade so a trip to Michael’s is required. Meanwhile, I’m enjoying my daily walks on the beach (sorry, I had to mention that).

• Like 2

That's OK, Denise; we went over to Navarre Beach to eat breakfast at Sailor's Grill (they have killer omelets) and walk the beach with all the local folks afterwards, and drove the beach road back to Pensacola Beach and home from there.  After all the poopy weather we've had lately it was wonderful to hit the sand, although too cold for bare feet.  The surf fishermen were going for sheepshead.  We did see one victim of yesterday's storm; a rather large jellyfish (over 1' diameter) had washed in.

5 hours ago, Sable said:

So I’m in Vero Beach for the month and I’m determined to finish the Cottage. I finished the slate roof. I think I was stalled for a year because I just wasn’t thrilled with the interior gray paint. So I repainted the entire house inside and out with SW Pure White. I really like the contrast of the slate against the white. The LED lights needed some tweaking so that’s been completed. Today I’m using my mouse sander to sand the floors. Later today I’ll  restain them and start the process to apply polyurethane. The next step is the dreaded trim which needs to be paper towel sanded, primed and painted before I can start the tedious mitre cuts. I need a new mitre saw blade so a trip to Michael’s is required. Meanwhile, I’m enjoying my daily walks on the beach (sorry, I had to mention that).

What is paper towel sanding I assume you just use a paper towel and rub . I've never done this again I will assume it gives a really fine soft finish.

You can also use a crumpled piece of brown paper bag.  I found out by folding a piece into a strip and using it to finish a piece on the lathe that it gives the most wonderful satiny finish to the wood.

4 hours ago, NellBell said:

What is paper towel sanding I assume you just use a paper towel and rub . I've never done this again I will assume it gives a really fine soft finish.

For trim that has groves or fine detail I love using paper towels. Yes it is soft on the wood and gives it a nice smooth finish. I count out twenty passes works great. The first two or three passes you’ll feel the roughness but each pass you’ll feel it get smoother and smoother. 

Ive tried paper bags and that works well on smooth surfaces but for window casings with tiny grooves the paper towel is my go to.

Note: it gets very messy with paper towel dust.

Well I have been working on my scratch built house, even though I don’t have anything to show.  My injury has been a setback physically and I think a bit mentally as well.  I’ve also been gathering supplies as money permits.  I did buy an Elf oven kit which was fun to build as it was my first kit build. 

Currently I have been sidetracked by attempting to make my first working light, hope to have pics by the end of the weekend. 

I’m working on my Beacon Hill. This my second dollhouse. First one was a Duracraft many years ago. Finished the last dormer window today and started on siding the last wall. I’ve been working on it full time since August when I retired. I think I have about another year to go. I’m new to this site so this is my way of exploring and getting to know my way around. 

88137FE5-2B06-4AD0-A990-70A2472863D7.jpeg

• Like 3