What's everyone working on?

53 minutes ago, Keifer said:

The perfectly cut and curved window that will reside above the entry to the kitchen fell out and shattered as it hit the cement floor in my garage.

Aaaghhh!!!!  So sorry to hear this.  It's so frustrating when you get something exactly right, and then something else happens to mess it up.  I would have been using a lot of magic words.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for the encouragement.  I think what made it more emotional for me was the fact that I had framed it out with thin strips of wood and it was during the cutting of these strips when I got intimate with my saw :offhead:

Oh no Keith, it is the worst when that happens. Especially when the item is essentially finished and the a clutzy move ends in destruction. I think a tear or two is quite restrained... I’m pretty sure I’ve had s full blown meltdown, using my entire repertoire of manic words and maybe even a little stomping.. :blush::giggle:

You can do it again, the thought of repeating work is far worse than the doing. You’ve got this! :)

Thanks Sam.  I woke up at 3:30 am due to nature calling and I could not get back to sleep.  So I lay there thinking and of course my thoughts turned to minis (as I’m sure happens to a few of us on here) and I thought... this is a test, a challenge if you will.  So I said to myself, what are ya gonna do about it?  Well I’m not going to let a broken piece of glass get this mini builder down.   Thanks you guys

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Keifer said:

Thanks everybody for the encouragement.  I think what made it more emotional for me was the fact that I had framed it out with thin strips of wood and it was during the cutting of these strips when I got intimate with my saw :offhead:

Sounds like you and I have had the same success rate withcutting things lately *looks at bandaged hand*

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

Sounds like you and I have had the same success rate withcutting things lately *looks at bandaged hand*

Well I hope yours did not require stitches. They’re no fun. 

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Betcha whilst you were lying there you even thought of a better way to make it.

2 hours ago, Keifer said:

As a matter of fact I did, how did you know?

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Been there, done that; more than once.

It's called the "aha!" moment, A phenomenon that often happens during twilight sleep. It usually precedes some kind of demolition activity. In your case, Keith, it came after the unintentional demolition.

5 hours ago, Keifer said:

Well I hope yours did not require stitches. They’re no fun. 

Probably should have but the edges were clean and it wasnt super deep so, meh. I arnold Schwarzeneggered it and just cleaned it and bandaged it. Could have done with about 5 though. I hope you didnt have to get too many!

So, as spring arrives sloooooowly over here My mini muse is showing herslef more often with New ideas and latley it has involved building a Table and add a mosaic top, sort of Like the one in the picture. i really Love the irregular shapes like theselarge.IMG_2475.PNG.4396af883007ea6aa17f7

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Keifer said:

Anna, that would make a great table top.  I love mosaics.  

Just a quick update my curved window has been successfully cut again and framed without incident. 

I have always been fascinated by them too but never had spot/place for one and Now that I have I can not for the life of me find a source for them around here. I am Hoping I Will  be able to find something at the show in Farum/Denmark first weekend in May, but being the person I am I would have liked getting hold of some like today LOL. 

Glad to here that the Curved window worked out too!

On 3/22/2019, 12:49:03, Anna said:

So, as spring arrives sloooooowly over here My mini muse is showing herslef more often with New ideas and latley it has involved building a Table and add a mosaic top, sort of Like the one in the picture. i really Love the irregular shapes like these

I can not for the life of me find a source for them around here.

What if you got some counter top laminate samples and used an Easy Cutter or  something similar to snip them into tile bits?

Edit: laminate might shatter. Maybe vinyl tiles? Or craft foam sheets covered with a glaze of clear finish?

• Like 1

It would also be fun to try a mosaic table with polyclay.  You could bake the small pieces first, and press them into raw polyclay for the grout.  I'd love to see what you come up with, Anna.

Keith, congrats on plugging ahead with the window - consider the first one as the dress rehearsal, and the final one as the masterpiece.  It can be so discouraging when your hard work is spoilt like that ... but I bet the second window is even better than the first!

• Like 2

That's a super tutorial, Alannah.  Using a paper punch to make the square "tiles" is brilliant!  So quick and easy using a border punch with many cutouts.  Thanks so much for sharing the link.

The bathroom space in my French Country seems awkward - the attic and its angles - and I decided it needed a knee wall to be able to place furniture in a more pleasing manner. I dug through all sorts of things in my stash and came up with this wainscoting that I had pre-stained. I can't even recall what the original intent was but I have enough to make it work here. This is all simply laid out, I haven't done anything yet. I did pick up a couple 3" bass wood strips to build the knee wall so I just need to make a template (for the angle on the right side) and build it. The pre-stained wainscoting will be attached to the basswood and I'll finish it with a chair rail strip. 

Still have to attach the flooring to a posterboard so there is not a clear seam....

large.20190316_125055resized.jpg.fa4bff0

• Like 1

15 hours ago, miniaddicted said:

The bathroom space in my French Country seems awkward - the attic and its angles - and I decided it needed a knee wall to be able to place furniture in a more pleasing manner. I dug through all sorts of things in my stash and came up with this wainscoting that I had pre-stained. I can't even recall what the original intent was but I have enough to make it work here. This is all simply laid out, I haven't done anything yet. I did pick up a couple 3" bass wood strips to build the knee wall so I just need to make a template (for the angle on the right side) and build it. The pre-stained wainscoting will be attached to the basswood and I'll finish it with a chair rail strip. 

Still have to attach the flooring to a posterboard so there is not a clear seam....

large.20190316_125055resized.jpg.fa4bff0

That is a great idea. Love your wallpaper choice.