What's everyone working on?

3 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

Thank you for all the inspiration through the years and my best wishes for everyone that is going through a rough time right now! You are never alone <

Oh Ashley, I am so sorry to hear that you are having such scary struggles. I was wondering where you were, and missed seeing your lovely work. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

• Like 1

Finished the pillowcases I was working on, a pattern of fuchsia and red roses. Mom was thrilled! Started working on the second set she wanted of tropical leaves I'm stitching like caladiums, white and green on either end with a white and pink one in the center. When I finish with those, I have a third set she wants, of butterflies and roses.

• Like 2

On 06/06/2019, 18:59:55, Mid-life madness said:

Oh Ashley, I am so sorry to hear that you are having such scary struggles. I was wondering where you were, and missed seeing your lovely work. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

On 06/06/2019, 20:43:58, havanaholly said:

Ashley, you definitely need to change jobs ASAP!

Thank you! I miss this comunity so much. I feel like people who work with miniatures are generally more patient and kind and understanding toward others, but often we get the worst end of the stick for it...

Holy you are definitely right! Unfortunately here people have prejudices against hiring physical or neurologically "impaired" people because we can't work at the same speed as others, or learn in the "standard" format. And there is no brain surgeon that will dare to try to "fix" a problem like that (thankfully... we are not in the XIX century). So I am completly at a loss on what to do next, but I'm hoping rest and patience will at least keep me alive and happy for a few more years. 

Very sincere hugs to you all ! :console:

• 2 weeks later...

I love it when a house finally speaks to you!  I have been working on the Vineyard Cottage again, pushing to get it finished up.  I bought a "halloween-ish" bookshelf that I just fell in love with.  I really had no plans for it, but bought it anyway. 

Then the Vineyard spoke up!  So now I am going to make it a witch's cottage.  I had planned on painting the outside purple, so it all fell together.  I pulled out my J Hermes "skeletons in the closet" wallpaper and some matching sheets.  I then discovered a couch and chair I had bought about a year ago with a Halloween theme.  It is all starting to fall together (in my head).

Bookcase.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Vineyard Cottage will be a perfect witchy cottage! 

I am just getting back to creative mode. We had months of home remodeling work and then when I moved in to my summer workshop there was a hose faucet line (I dont know the technical term) that had broken (behind the wall) over the winter and flooded part of my workroom. Everything had to be removed from large storage closet (all safe because it was stored in Rubbermaids) but I’ve just finished dealing with the Great Purge and reorganization that incident forced but was a good thing in the end. Repaired and rebuilt storage closet and all is back together now. 

Itching to pull a kit out but I’m not sure what yet. This is the time of year to start working on Christmas projects if I want to complete them on time. But something witchy/Halloweenish sounds fun too. Sometimes it seems you can get too many grand ideas going and then can never choose a direction and go with it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

...Sometimes it seems you can get too many grand ideas going and then can never choose a direction and go with it. 

When that happens I usually close my eyes and grab a kit and go where it tells me.

• Like 1

It's taken oven 3 1/2 years of stitching (free time to stitch is limited -  there's never enough time to make minis!), but today I finished a wool needlepoint rug from a Janet Granger kit! So excited to finally have this done! 

rug.thumb.JPG.255c46318d1b6a9b6bee901f58

Here it is at home in the pink bedroom.

pink_bedroom.thumb.JPG.84273ac3a78f08868

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IndyCindy said:

It's taken oven 3 1/2 years of stitching (free time to stitch is limited -  there's never enough time to make minis!), but today I finished a wool needlepoint rug from a Janet Granger kit! So excited to finally have this done! 

Here it is at home in the pink bedroom.

Well worth the time and effort. It's perfect in that room. :clap: 

• Like 1

Cynthia the rug turned out beautiful, and matches the room perfectly. I love making something then looking at it in a house knowing all the hard work that went into making it.

I'm currently working on a few things....

I'm still finishing a Brookwood - it's a beach house/nautical theme.I have so many awesome things for it that I don't have enough room to display everything, so I'm trying to be creative with extra shelves, etc. I just don't want it to end up too "busy" looking. I'm trying to stay within a color scheme too, since I want the long distance look of the inside of the house to blend together. Red-Blue-Grey-White-Turquoise. It's built, I just need to finish shingles, exterior, trim, windows-a lot more to do. I'm busy with the interior details though, because I still wanna be able to tip it on its side, etc to mount stuff before I finish the exterior.

I also picked up a mint condition completed RGT Alison Jr at a thrift shop, just needed finished staircases, doors, moldings, minor things. Plus only 3 rooms had the floors done, but done beautifully with wood and vinyl tile. I'm stripping all the wallpaper, I don't like any of it. Nicely done curtains, but I don't like any of them either so they're down already. I'll save them for another house. TechnicalIy, I probably have enough stuff to complete & furnish the entire house, but I'm not satisfied with my stock so I've been on a shopping hunt for specific stuff to make the house exactly how I want. It's pretty big, and so are the rooms, so I've been totally distracted from my Brookwood!

Plus I'm pre-planning a bakery, and still on the hunt for a good Brimble's Mercantile kit :-)

• Like 1

On 7/15/2019, 5:01:59, IndyCindy said:

I'm sorry I missed this when you first posted.  What a beautiful rug!  And what persistence, sticking with it for 3 1/2 years!  :clap: It is absolutely beautiful and perfect in the room. (Those chairs are gorgeous, too.)  Kitty obviously finds it very comfortable.  :) 

• Like 1

I just wrote out a post and as I hit submit my husband turned on the microwave down in the kitchen and I lost everything - and I'm up on the 3rd floor!  Everytime someone uses the microwave our wifi quits. It doesn't affect DH, his computer is attached to the router by cable, so he doesn't care.

I'm almost finished the main room in the early 19th century house. I've started working on the piles of ashes in the fireplace. I was going to try using dryer lint this time, but once I started fooling with it I wasn't happy with it, so I'm going back to paperclay as the ash base. It worked ok for me before. There's some stuff on the brick hearth floor right now that looks like a light coating of ash. It's talcum powder. I had sprinkled a bit on a painted paperclay ash pile to see how it looked, and when I pulled the pile back out it left some powder behind. I need to go back down to the kitchen and get my fine tea strainer and play with the powder some more.

IMG_3095.JPG

• Like 1

Grazhina, you might like to try some ash from an incense stick.  It's very fine, and dusty-coloured.  I've been thinking it could be used in fireplaces, dust in the attic, etc.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been in a holding pattern on minis this summer, work drains me during the week and then on the weekends I just recuperate and hang out. I've been dreading staining shingles for my Lawbre Chateau, and its cooler in the last several days. What better time? I used Minwax Red Mahogany on my cedar shingles. They are drying now but here's the visual. Boy....I hate staining shingles...this is the first and last time. I made quite a mess, started out badly by spilling stain on the table and concrete patio. Table was covered with craft paper but that quickly soaked through.

Anyway, I think these will work really nicely. 

large.shingles.png.b50083f05ad1dcdf2e7a8 

large.ChateauDryFitTrim.jpg.2a1c5f021eb1

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

she is so beautiful Carrie, her hair is perfectly coifed and I love her dress and accent flowers!

All that plus the color palette is perfect. :) 

• Like 1