What's everyone working on?

On 9/7/2019, 6:10:39, KatFord said:

She is beautiful! Did you make her? Or is she a kit? I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to do dolls. 

Kim

Dana Burton showed how to dress an Edwardian Lady in the April 2018 edition of American Miniaturist magazine. I used her pattern and directions. If you are interested in dressing and wigging dolls check out her website. She offers kits and online classes with many tips. https://www.danaburton.com/

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019, 4:47:12, Mid-life madness said:

Dana Burton showed how to dress an Edwardian Lady in the April 2018 edition of American Miniaturist magazine. I used her pattern and directions. If you are interested in dressing and wigging dolls check out her website. She offers kits and online classes with many tips. https://www.danaburton.com/

Thank for the link!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why is it, that whenever I start a new house, no matter how much stripwood I've stocked up on, I always seem to be short of the ones I need? This time, fortunately, after rummaging through my scrap pile, I've found several pieces of long enough leftover door casing that are the right dimensions to match my one piece of 1/8 x 3/8 stripwood. With all that stripwood on the shelf, how did I wind up with just one piece? It's a good thing I never throw any wooden bits and pieces away.:construction: 

• Like 1

Neoclassical "painted" room divider screen. Paint is still drying and needs a second coat of satin varnish. Three panels each roughly 1 1/2" by 5 1/4" the back is rather plain. I have some mini brass hinges once done. Just the thing for sectioning off a corner of the room

thumbnail.jpg

3 hours ago, Miniatures in Marble said:

Neoclassical "painted" room divider screen. Paint is still drying and needs a second coat of satin varnish. Three panels each roughly 1 1/2" by 5 1/4" the back is rather plain. I have some mini brass hinges once done. Just the thing for sectioning off a corner of the room

thumbnail.jpg

Gorgeous!

I printed the panels based on an actual screen - i have about a dozen of them I have collected and cleaned up a couple are attached

This is the other one I am doing more art deco than neoclassical I would say but a bit of a hybrid. It will be burled walnut panels set in a mitered frame. 

thumbnail (1).jpg

Style 01.jpg

Style 03.jpg

Style 06.jpg

Style 07.jpg

Style 10.jpg

I'm finally back to minis! Working on a rehab of a RGT contemporary ranch that's been sitting, untouched, in my bedroom for over a year. Going for a mid-century modern vibe. We'll see how much time I'll actually get to work on it--it might be a loooooooong term project. :)

So for the burl wood screen I wanted something to cover the back. Often they are wall papered or covered with canvas rarely are they finely finished like the front. I had a silk tie I purchased for this type of work a sort of red with stars on it. I glued a piece to a small scrap of walnut then gave it a coat of satin varnish. I think 2 or 3 coats will fill it in nicely. What do you think should I do the backs with it? Will it look ok? The burl needs to be sanded and finished but the grain on the back looks too coarse to leave as is

thumbnail.jpg

Silk ties are always handy, and I have a few of my dad's stashed away.  ;)

I would go with a plainer backing, if it were my choice.  The red with stars is a strong pattern and colour, so I would save it for another project where it might be showcased.  I think I'd paint or gesso the back of the panels to smooth and even out the surface, and then use a solid coloured, finely woven cotton or linen look fabric to cover it.  Finish with a satin varnish to seal.  That's just my opinion, of course ... but you asked for our thoughts.

The screens are all gorgeous!  Did you achieve the burled effect yourself on the wood?

• Like 1

No it is on the back side which is plain walnut. Having a little trouble with the panels warping i am going to wet them slightly and clamp them flat and see if it holds. Going for an antique look - darken the brass with vinegar - older oil finish - and some staining to the back linen covering due to age and neglect