What's everyone working on?

3 hours ago, Miniatures in Marble said:

...and some staining to the back linen covering due to age and neglect 

Laying a couple of wet teabags onto the wet linen and letting it all dry will age your linen nicely.

one panel mostly done needs a few more coats of linseed oil and a little judicious sanding/trimming

two to go - i do think i succeeded with the "i'm old and been shoved in the corner for a few years" look. They will dull out a little as the oil dries

It's amazing how much a photo magnifies and identifies the flaws you don't see just looking at it. When doing other models, like the 1:35 motorcycle and building corner below, I often photo them to look for flaws

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (2).jpg

• Like 2

It's looking authentic already!  The linen is perfect for the backing.  

Your finishing techniques are very well done - I expect you have a lot of great tips to share, and this is the place to do it.  This community is full of members eager to learn - and also share their knowledge.

I especially like the paving stones, and doorstep in your outdoor vignette - very gritty and atmospheric.

I've been working on a half inch scale cottage using 1" thick standard styrofoam for the thick masonry walls. The hearth bricks were carved into a piece of thinner styrofoam, then gessoed & painted. The little raised area just below the oven is a small block of wood carved a bit to look like smaller bricks. Trying to make it out of styrofoam didn't work too well. I could have tried a piece of builders foam, but I didn't feel like it. I've been coating the walls with gesso because I read on someone's blog that gesso made their styrofoam much stronger. Then I apply DAP wallboard joint compound for the plaster. Sometimes I use sandpaper to smooth the dry plaster a bit, and sometimes I just wet my fingers to smooth it down, which is really just wet sanding. Today I glued on one side wall and the floor base. I plan on covering this section of the floor with stained boards. There's going to be another room on the main floor and one upstairs. My idea was to have a house that could be displayed on a 12" deep shelf at eye level.

This is my second half inch scale project. I'm not used to the scale and all along I kept thinking the scale in my sketches was too big or too small. On paper everything looked way to big. After I started building I decided to cut myself a little 3" high paper man to check that things looked ok. I always use a doll in my 1" scale building to make sure things look right. I guess I should order myself a 1/2" scale person or two if I plan on continuing work in this scale.

res.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

• Like 2

20 hours ago, KathieB said:

Me, too ... Looks like hand made soft bricks.

Thanks, don't they though? I was originally thinking of doing an adobe house and tried out a bit of adobe style brick flooring and really loved the look. Today I was laying out wooden flooring and hoping I had enough - whew - 2 strips left over. I was looking online to replenish my store of 3/8" x 1/8" basswood strips and found this seller on ebay,  so I ordered some more.

Big green house. I forgot the name of it. Waiting on some pictures and other remaining accessories to come in to finish out the interior and also working on landscaping. Want to get it to my friend soon. Well that and I want to work on the base for the Madison and Adams to be displayed together and I need the table space... I can't figure out how to add a picture to this post...

3 minutes ago, LPCullen said:

Big green house. I forgot the name of it. Waiting on some pictures and other remaining accessories to come in to finish out the interior and also working on landscaping. Want to get it to my friend soon. Well that and I want to work on the base for the Madison and Adams to be displayed together and I need the table space... I can't figure out how to add a picture to this post...

Welcome home, stranger!  {{HUG!}}  When I want to post a picture I first load it into one of my Gallery albums and then I can just copy & paste.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LPCullen said:

Hey Holly! Thank you! If I could just find my gallery....

Hi Linda! Is this what you're looking for? Walmer Victorian Farmhouse? is your most recent album.

I wanted to post a link, but the program won't let me. 

• Like 1

Yes! That's it! How did you find it? I added more pix so you can see where I am. I don't know if you can see it, but the pictures on the nightstand in the bedroom, 1 is of my friend her husband and daughters and the other is her granddaughter. Waiting on pictures and other bits and pieces to come in. Waiting on the "water" to dry in the pond (have to add several layers) but getting seriously close to being finished.

10 hours ago, LPCullen said:

Yes! That's it! How did you find it?...

I clicked on your avatar, went to your profile page, clicked on your albums, picked the one Kathie mentioned and copied the url and pasted it in my post.

• Like 1

That is going to be a gorgeous (albeit aged) screen - well done!  I haven't come across the hinge technique before - that I recall - but it sounds like an interesting idea.  I'm enjoying anticipating the finished product.  :)

I like that each of the rope-molding columns is different. I immediately sensed the pride of artistry and craftsmanship that the cottager-builder must have felt as he built his house. 

45 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I like that each of the rope-molding columns is different. I immediately sensed the pride of artistry and craftsmanship that the cottager-builder must have felt as he built his house. 

I felt the same way about that stair wall with the cutouts.