What's everyone working on?

16 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I find my moldings like those at Hobby Lobby.

Holly, I looked on their website, but couldn't find any, ditto Michaels. I found one kind on Home Depot that might work for miniatures, I'll have to go check it out at the store.

9 hours ago, KathieB said:

I like that each of the rope-molding columns is different. I immediately sensed the pride of artistry and craftsmanship that the cottager-builder must have felt as he built his house.  - Thank's Kathie, that's what I was aiming for! :cheezy:

8 hours ago, Shy Spirit said:

Beautiful work, Grazhina.  Yes, the cottager/builder should take great pride in her work!!  Thank you Rosalind!

16 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I find my moldings like those at Hobby Lobby.

Thank you, Holly, I looked on their website, but couldn't find any, ditto Michaels. I found one kind on Home Depot that might work for miniatures, I'll have to go check it out at the store.

9 hours ago, KathieB said:

I like that each of the rope-molding columns is different. I immediately sensed the pride of artistry and craftsmanship that the cottager-builder must have felt as he built his house.  - Thank's Kathie, that's what I was aiming for! :cheezy:

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, jonhandy said:

Fixing a shed door that the hinges bent and caused the whole door to warp from just hanging on them open. With Abello Handyman we cover a lot of different projects. 

This forum is about dollhouses.  1:12 and smaller doors don't warp from  hanging on bent hinges.

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Ah, but they're Roosevelt head dimes.  (There's a cute but very dated story about the reverse of a Mercury head dime).

Do tell you know I collect coins

but I don’t mind smashing a Roosevelt coin. It isn’t a partisan thing I’m just one of those that thinks putting a president on a coin is too monarchical for a republic.

So did a little more work. You can still see the "one dime" inside the rim faintly

not sure if i will polish it down and then try to add the "hammer" marks or leave it rough like this I like the trexture

anyway learned a lot from the first one

I23eEAa.jpg

KP83EMz.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! Very cool, Joel!

As for me....I am plodding along working on the tower of my English manor house. The day I was set to work on the wood floor - well, I sat there pondering this possibly complicated floor design for a LONG time and in the end simply did a paper clay stone floor!  LOL  The tower won't really be visible or accessible once it's finished and attached, so I figured I wasn't going to waste the time on a finely detailed floor that will be mostly covered with a rug and not really seen. 

The weather is quite warm here this week, so I am going to take advantage of that and do some staining of the trim outdoors. 

The tower chandelier has arrived and I am getting anxious to get the little room finished off soon!  My next adventure will be painting the interior of the tower room and installing the stained glass windows.  I am figuring on using molded paper clay as interior window trim.  Should be interesting!

Joel, I like the look of the bowl.  If you were going to sell it, though, I think either polish, hammer, or a combination to obliterate the "one dime" might make for a more sellable product.  JMHO

Joel, you might consider leaving the "one dime" visible on your first bowl.  If it was mine, I would keep it as it is now.  It's cool to see the origin of the material used!  I do agree with a hammered/polished finish for items you wish to sell.  You have done a great job, and I look forward to seeing your unique style develop as you progress with this.  

Jackie, the tower sounds interesting - I love tower rooms!  Have you seen the television show, "Escape to the Chateau"?  I find the woman, Angel, just amazing.  She and her husband own a French chateau, and are renovating it while also making it available for weddings, family holidays, etc.   Angel took vintage wallpaper and did a wall treatment in a turret room and staircase that looks absolutely beautiful.  I have so many ideas from watching their show - if you haven't seen it, try YouTube or a search online for it.  I think they are marvellous, creative people.  Very inspiring.

I am polishing the outside smooth then will add the "hammer" marks. I am learning a lot from this one; one good thing about silver is you can just reshape it over and over

The first thing I learned is I need more tools and some larger daps. I also want to play with adding a patina which I know eggs are good for. I have also used egg whites as a wood filler for walnut knife handles under a oil finish

Edited by jaxenro

Yes the sulfer tarnishes the silver. Artificial patina. Takes some of the newness away but I didn't try it yet

4aV4G9j.jpg

Still some lettering inside the bowl I might leave it on this one just so for me

y7TSW35.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

I'm working on building a little Dura Craft Ashley dollhouse for a 6yr old for Christmas. This is the first time I'm doing a house that's actually going to be played with by a child. So it's a little different for me, I usually spend so much time on the interior details and I've kept all but 1 of my houses. She's getting the house unfurnished from me, her Mom is getting her plastic furniture and dolls to start out with.

I'm taking extra steps to reinforce it as I build, since I anticipate it being with played with a lot. I'm hoping she takes care of it and keeps it forever, but even if she doesn't and it ends up trashed I know she'll still have enjoyed it and it'll serve it's purpose - happiness, imagination and joy.

• Like 1