What's everyone working on?

Got some (60 actually) more mini wine bottles for the cellar of the lighthouse in the mail yesterday and will be adding those to the shelves so that I can continue with that over the weekend.

I have also spotted a large wine barrel that just might work as well... Hmm we'll see ;)

Now to be brave and start cutting into the open wine barrels I want to turn into chairs, eek!

Hugs

• Like 2

I was wondering if you had been able to slide some sort of masking material (paper, plastic) under the trim, over the mirror.

I didn't even try. It helped that the piece is laser cut and there was a slight darkening already on the edges. The wood used is fairly soft. Touching the tip of the stain marker to deposit a bit of stain resulted in capillary action drawing the stain to the edges. I don't believe I'd have had the same control had I been applying the stain with a brush, even a small one.

Now to be brave and start cutting into the open wine barrels I want to turn into chairs, eek!

Anna, I'm sure they'll be lovely! I'm enjoying watching your lighthouse come to life. It is a very graceful build with a lovely story, both of which fit it perfectly.

Excellent chair, Kathie!

I'm painting 3 more planes for co-workers this weekend. The company is moving mid- March, and I just got the final certifications required before I start at the V.A. in the next few weeks, so I told everyone that if they wanted their planes painted like the company's, they needed to be done ASAP. So far, the engine nacelles are all painted fuchsia, the propeller cones are painted silver, and the fuselages are being masked and sanded for their new paint jobs today. It does move faster when I take an assembly line approach to doing projects like this.

• Like 5

I love the stain pens for the 1/144th scale but REFILL them...inspired!

just got a new one just the other day...nice

That sounds like a great idea. I've never used those pens, didn't even realize they were out there! I'll have to try that on my next micro build.

• Like 1

Envy the idea of sytaining pens!

Added the wine bottles to the basements and that made thenshelves fill up nicely. Tomorrow. Will be able to do some work om the interior walls and floor.

Hugs

the stain markers can be refilled by pulling out the felt tip and adding stain to the well. That part can get messy, but a needle-nosed glue applicator works pretty well.

Best tip I have heard is a long time! :)

Finally back to work on my "Steampunk" orchid build. Got the eggcarton siding done a while ago and finished te roof shingles last night.

Going to paint and color everything today. Using black gesso, grey and burnt umber paint, who know what it will end up looking like....lol.

Opened my save parts box(Thank all of you Steampunkers' for the idea) and am mesmerized by all the possibilities. This will be fun.

Gail :bear:

Love to see the steampunk build take shape Gail.

I fiddled a little more with the wine cellar shelves today and added a few pics in the gallery. Unfortunatley I added the wrong close up of the shelf as it is the fuzzy one. Will have to change that in the morning as I have closed down the laptop for the night and am about to crawl into bed aoon...

Hugs

I managed to get 4 of the pictures Im working with printed before my printer gave out...hoping that is all I will need to

achieve the finished product....

still looking for a rose under glass....the dome I had isnt going to work for me and I have no satisfactory rose....

so I am on the hunt for those items...I cut a full sheet of foam core and all the inserts are cut out....

I want to make an accordion stair case but Im just not sure how that will work out...

I sprayed all the photos with sealer so the glitter glue Im using doesnt bleed the paper...

I am going to use black puffy paint for stair case details...

now a trip to Wally world for blue material for the curtains a Q monogram to hang from the middle of the curtains

:beer:

I love the way the staircase is turning out!

I managed to get 4 of the pictures Im working with printed before my printer gave out...hoping that is all I will need to

achieve the finished product....

still looking for a rose under glass....the dome I had isnt going to work for me and I have no satisfactory rose....

so I am on the hunt for those items...I cut a full sheet of foam core and all the inserts are cut out....

I want to make an accordion stair case but Im just not sure how that will work out...

I sprayed all the photos with sealer so the glitter glue Im using doesnt bleed the paper...

I am going to use black puffy paint for stair case details...

now a trip to Wally world for blue material for the curtains a Q monogram to hang from the middle of the curtains

:beer:

Have you thought about having several photos done at a professional print shop on a color laser printer on a bright white 80# paper? I've had photos done that way and the quality of the print is waaaaay  better than on our HP inkjet. For your purpose, the heavier paper would be easier to work with and the color won't fade as fast as inkjet ink.

For the staircase, can you cut the individual steps and use thin cardboard (think cereal box) to bring them forward one step at a time by adding layers of the thinner cardboard until it builds out as far as you want?

I made a note on the album photo but will repeat here: try using E-6000 or another non-water-based glue to prevent ink running. Your idea of using glitter nail polish is a good one, too.

You may need to hit a real fabric shop. I think you need a thin, shiny material for the curtains, like silk or satin. 

For a dome --- the plastic capsules that hold tiny dogs, etc., in the insert quarter and turn the knob machines -- would that work if you cut half of one in half vertically, so there would be a half dome instead of a full one? 

For a Q and a rose, I'd look in the scrap-booking section and consider heading to Michael's or Hobby Lobby if Walmart doesn't have what you need.

• Like 2

I've been feverishly working on the Pool House/Summer Kitchen project to get as much done before we go to our Vero Beach house for a month. The project is coming with me so I'm trying to get the big stuff done before we leave. It has to be finished for our show in Boca in March. I've packed most of the tools and supplies I think I will need, and stuff I probably won't. How do you people who have two homes do this? How do you decide if you've got everything you need?

I've been feverishly working on the Pool House/Summer Kitchen project to get as much done before we go to our Vero Beach house for a month. The project is coming with me so I'm trying to get the big stuff done before we leave. It has to be finished for our show in Boca in March. I've packed most of the tools and supplies I think I will need, and stuff I probably won't. How do you people who have two homes do this? How do you decide if you've got everything you need?

I feel your pain. I have a large canvas toolbox that holds many tools. I keep the tools in it, so it's ready to travel in either direction. Not having everything I need has resulted in a lot of duplication. 

The 1:48 teacups were pretty fiddly to make, but simpler than I would have guessed them to be. The cup and saucer is an eyelet, and the decoration is a tiny strip of miniature (1:48 scale?) wallpaper. The handle is jeweller's wire wrapped in a tiny circle around roundnose pliers. We glued a 1/8" same-colour circle punch on the bottom for the base of the cup/saucer.

Oh Casey he's such a handsome boy!  :D  I do hope that he continues to blend right in to your family and the Tessie doesn't harass him too much.  ;) 

I see that Kota likes to open cupboards as well.  My Max does the same thing.  I can always tell when he's been bored. 

Lots of well wishes to the new member of the family!

And BTW- I am still working on wallpapering the living room of the Ellwanger/North Park House.  I did manage to get it finished last nite, so now I just need to finish out the crown moldings and a short distance of chair rail....and STILL waiting for a slightly warmer day to stain & varnish floors!  Sheesh- this not having a garage is really the pits at times.  :/

my trip to wal-marts was unsatisfactory as I knew it would be....

I did look in the scrap booking supplies...but I think Micheals or Hobby Lobby be better

as for the Q I may get a woodsy and do some paint magic to it

we do have an awesome fabric store...not close but if I dont find what Im looking for anywhere else Im sure Ill find it there

and yes it will have to be silky or very light weight velvatine Ill know it when I feel it....I have my aquanet ready for it though! :construction:

I had not thought of having the printed elsewhere but  I will look into it

I am printing now on heavy cardstock and its working well for the cutting and layering

since I want to add puffy paint to the stairs I am going to cut just the Bannister out of a cereal box and add it and leave the stairs alone LOL

that is taking it to the extreeeeem and Im too instant gratification for that...do like the idea...better than mine so far

back to my experimenting....you would think with Valentines jst around the corner a rose under glass would be everywhere lol

having fun in my niche today! :chef:

• Like 1