What's everyone working on?

Oh Gosh Mike,  I thought that was your "real" workshop!  

I am plugging along on the Arthur.  I thought that I had made a new dividing wall for the upstairs because I didn't like that plain piece provided.   Well, I made a nice wall with a door opening and when I dry fit it I realized that the wall would be sticking out way past the roof line.....DUH!!!   So back to the foam board to make just a plain divider only half the width of the room.  

I want to get the finish on it before I cut the top off and hinge it. Burl's can be really brittle when you cut it and with some oil soaking it it should help. It's amazing the flaws that show up when the photo is 4 or 5 times life size but like I said this is only for the concept and it's sorta coming together

IMG_0994.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Roxxie2 said:

Oh Gosh Mike,  I thought that was your "real" workshop!  

I am plugging along on the Arthur.  I thought that I had made a new dividing wall for the upstairs because I didn't like that plain piece provided.   Well, I made a nice wall with a door opening and when I dry fit it I realized that the wall would be sticking out way past the roof line.....DUH!!!   So back to the foam board to make just a plain divider only half the width of the room.  

Thanks Roxy.......I should be so lucky!.......I work from a single desktop during the winter! Be great to get back into my garage!

Every time I've tried foam board I end up trashing it........there must be a way to cut it straight but it beats me every time!

8 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

Thanks Roxy.......I should be so lucky!.......I work from a single desktop during the winter! Be great to get back into my garage!

Every time I've tried foam board I end up trashing it........there must be a way to cut it straight but it beats me every time!

it wreaks havoc with my back, but the only way I get straight edges on foam core is to stand over it and cut straight down along a cork-backed steel straight edge, and as soon as I note the least tug in the blade, stop and pop out the old blade and pop in  new one.  I also thought that was your real workshop  until I remembered your toolbox, as well as noting how pristine and clean it was!  Mine hasn't looked like that since DH & I sealed the concrete floor!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

it wreaks havoc with my back, but the only way I get straight edges on foam core is to stand over it and cut straight down along a cork-backed steel straight edge

Exactly Holly that is what I have to do and even then I get some edges.   I usually take a piece of strip wood and edge the wall so it hides the edge if I am making a divider wall.  Or,  I cut a skinny strip of matching wallpaper and cover the edge.  I have trashed a bunch of walls before I get one I like. 

Mike,  I have a tiny folding table in the corner of the extra bedroom and that's all.   Its always a challenge to find places to put all the pieces and the supplies.  I so want to build a bigger house like the BH  but not with this small space. 

Roxy, I either leave a flap of wallpaper to fold over and glue to the end of the foam core wall, or in the case of the beadboard wall I made for Maggie I also glued a strip of wood to each end before hingeing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

Thanks Joel and your box is looking good! That grain is superb!

Bottom trims too big and the burl chipped at the corners plus one of the feet chipped out. I'm hoping the hinges I am getting will work on 1/16" wood they seem small enough. 

But it's working to help me see the issues so I can do a good one

Joel, I have used burl veneer and soaked it in a mixture of four parts water, two parts glycerin, one part alcohol (or so - I usually guesstimate) while this will raise the grain - I use a warm iron to flatten it (at least somewhat), cut it and then press it, sandwiched in: wax-paper, two layers of paper towels and then wood panels I have around. So far I had no issues with chipping.

To close gaps and creases, I sand then carefully apply some glue in the gap, fill it with the wood dust, let it dry and sand over it.

The best recipe for wood filler I've found is enough sawdust added to wood glue to make a thick frosting, tint it to match the rest of the piece with whatever stain you used, and fill the gaps with it.  It is sandable.

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Roxy, I either leave a flap of wallpaper to fold over and glue to the end of the foam core wall

I never thought to just leave an extra length to fold over!  lol   I learn something every time I come in here!  
Now the dang wall section warped!!!   You can't wet foam board which has wallpaper stuck to it already so I have it pressed under a ton of big books.  Always something!  

8 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

So, Mike, is this a miniature or is it your real workshop?

15 hours ago, MikeUK said:

......I work from a single desktop during the winter! Be great to get back into my garage...

Possibly the first miniature lit shop sign in the world!.............Go on burst my bubble and tell me it's not!..................................I don't care anyway it's mine!

The light is flaring.....but it's perfect to the naked eye....I shall take better pics when I land!

TH040.jpg

19 hours ago, havanaholly said:

it wreaks havoc with my back, but the only way I get straight edges on foam core is to stand over it and cut straight down along a cork-backed steel straight edge, and as soon as I note the least tug in the blade, stop and pop out the old blade and pop in  new one.  I also thought that was your real workshop  until I remembered your toolbox, as well as noting how pristine and clean it was!  Mine hasn't looked like that since DH & I sealed the concrete floor!

My real workshop is on ice right now...........really Brrrrrrrrr!

12 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

So, Mike, is this a miniature or is it your real workshop?

Miniature sadly! mine is somewhat smaller..................not smaller than a miniature.........You know what I mean!