What's everyone working on?

10 minutes ago, pawsplus said:

I'm in love with your house, Claire. That's what I want -- a Tudor like that.  Really hard to find over here, though!

Thanks, I think it's a one-off really.  I just found it on eBay one day and it was less than 5-miles from where I live.  I fell in love straight away!  It's a replica of one that was popular in the 1930s but I have no idea who built it or when.  

If you hadn't put that bottle next to the lathe and saw, I would have thought they were real! I like the way the room is arranged in the bottom photo, with tools and things out on the tables. It makes it look like the guy working in there just went into the next room to grab something and he'll be right back to continue working.

edit: this comment was for Mike, after looking at his new lathe. I didn't realize how many comments had been posted between the time he posted it and I commented!

Mike, you do absolutely stunning work - I think when I go visit the family back home I'll be making a trip to the island....... hahaha. I come with big boxes and suitcases. I do not mind paying extra and it's not my fault if your inventory is messed up after I've been there............

And a wave to you too, Jo! You'll be the second stop on that trip.

All I've been doing is make two silicone molds for fireplaces and working on another for half columns (or at least the toppers) for them. So, me and fimo are being really friendly right now. I'm trying to use the rest of the silicone material for things I really don't want to spend any more money on and considering how expensive that stuff is - I'm working round the clock here........... hahahaha.large.SAM_1114.JPG.369c57fe56a2839449ed8

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jaxenro said:

While waiting on the clear's to cure I started a veneered top Chippendale table

IMG_1001.JPG

Excellent Joel, that's a nice inlay...........I'm on wood myself today and walnut for a change!

Love your molds, Chris!  :D  Having worked in the cake art world for many years I have become a great fan of silicone molds!  Wish I could use them more in my mini world....like could I just make a mold of my baseboard moulding and then just mold away!?  Sure- I could do rounded walls and all sorts of cool stuff!!   Hmmmmmm.......

These weren't really made today.....The sideboard a while ago and the display cabinet over the weekend......They were finished today though and will be the first pieces of furniture for the first floor showroom!

I also started on the 'saw room' in the roof space by making some faux ducting for the faux dust!

TH052s.jpg

1 hour ago, Sable said:

I really like the square drawer pulls, Mike.

Thanks Sable. Isn't it odd though you see a totally different image through the camera...........It all looks a bit clumsy now!..........If at first you don't succ............I might just try again!

4 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

Thanks Sable. Isn't it odd though you see a totally different image through the camera...........It all looks a bit clumsy now!..........If at first you don't succ............I might just try again!

Is there a line that I can stand in so that I can get "the first that don't succeed"?! I think they're fabulous, Mike!

10 minutes ago, JustCallMeAnna said:

Is there a line that I can stand in so that I can get "the first that don't succeed"?! I think they're fabulous, Mike!

Yeah just imagine what you'd get out of his garbage cans! Where did you say you lived, Mike? Exactly?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeUK said:

Things never look as good in pictures as they do in real life. For some reason the camera seems to magnify every little detail, including the grain in the wood and make it look giant sized, when in real life, you barely see it. Those are beautiful Mike, and I bet in person, they are very smooth and perfect looking.

5 hours ago, MikeUK said:

These weren't really made today.....The sideboard a while ago and the display cabinet over the weekend......They were finished today though and will be the first pieces of furniture for the first floor showroom!

I also started on the 'saw room' in the roof space by making some faux ducting for the faux dust!

TH052s.jpg

Really nice work looks like Craftsman / Stickley style. You do very clean work and have a good eye for proportion and design

I tend to photograph  things as I am working on them now to look for flaws I can correct. They stick out in the photo's in a way they don't to the naked eye. My burl chests look far better on my desk than in the photo's here

Stop the presses, I was actually able to work on a mini today:cloud9:It really wasn't a whole lot, but it was wonderful. I decided to eliminate the staircase in my 1/2 scale bungalow. It's in the back of the house now :D I got the idea from Keli, and it really solves the problems I had with the kitchen layout. Tomorrow, I'll be painting and installing the downstairs windows and getting the middle floor ready for install. I want to do it as I build since there is no way my humongous hands will fit inside once it's together.

• Like 1

Funny how after months (ok years) of slow work on my Thornhill, I'm nearly finished with it! Finally got the shingles, quoins and chimneys done. I still have some exterior dormer texture to do, but that should be pretty quick. Oh, I also redid the window trim - went to white for a clean look. Lots of work - new windows, but I'm happy with it. 

I'm still working out the gable trim, and thinking of some architectural detail - like a swag in the center (reminiscent of the Lawbre Chateau). 

I'm now thinking about window treatments!

IMG_3423.JPG

IMG_3426.JPG

IMG_3421.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Kathi! I dreamed of it for years, and got it for half off (both the shell and the components) back in the day when Ernie at Miniatures.com was doing that - I think it used to be like tax day or something fun! It's taken me years to get to this point, I was on it, off it, on, etc for many years....can't even believe I started it in 2007!

• Like 2