What's everyone working on?

large.56f5a45541de3_lotsofaccessories.jp

I have been working on the kitchen and spa extensions for the Ryokan. Those two parts will be the front of the house, and will be hinged to open. I'm still trying to get holes drilled so I can hinge them. I have a lot of small drills, but so far, everything I have bought to use for them has been junk. I think I need to make a purchase from Micromart, rather than spending money for junk that doesn't work. (Darice pin vises, off brand chucks for my Dremel, etc.).

Anyway, Here are some of the accessories I have made from the kit.

The sink is for the kitchen, and will go into the extension. I think it came out really cute. It has a brass faucet, and a little steel drainpipe.

There are two more tansu chests with drawers and sliding doors. (Those sliding doors are always a pain)!

There is a set of cubby holes for towels and things in the spa, that was quite fast to put together.

Then there is a scale. The kit was designed to be a ryokan from the 1950's or early 60's, and the kit even has TV sets. I am making mine to be more reflective of early in the century, so I'm not making the TV sets. I am undecided about whether or not I will put the scale in the house, since I doubt that would have been in an inn for travelers back at the turn of the century.

I can't remember whether or not I showed pictures of the two little legless chairs. They are black to look like lacquer, and have pillows with tassels.

There is also a little desk for the reception area.

Next are the six teeny tiny buckets with teeny tiny copper wire around them, ten little stools for the spa, four pairs of geta, (sandals), and four more tatami mats. All of those were a real pain to make, so I have been making only two or three of each of the more monotonous things each day. It's not that bad making two or three of something each day, but when you have to spend hours making lots of them at one time, it gets to be a chore.

I'm getting the first floor almost done, and will take more photos when I get the outside wainscotting on. It will be really exciting to start some of the upstairs rooms!

• Like 3

I like that sink too!    I struggled to get a small cabinet unit up on the wall, one side fell down of course on the side I can't reach.  So I carefully pry it off the wall and rip the wallpaper....Finally the light bulb goes off in my head and I think,  just turn the house on its side flat and then glue the cabinet on!!!  DUH!    I would never make it as a real house builder!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roxxie2 said:

I like that sink too!    I struggled to get a small cabinet unit up on the wall, one side fell down of course on the side I can't reach.  So I carefully pry it off the wall and rip the wallpaper....Finally the light bulb goes off in my head and I think,  just turn the house on its side flat and then glue the cabinet on!!!  DUH!    I would never make it as a real house builder!

I've done the exact same thing. I don't know why it takes me so long to figure out the obvious solution sometimes!

• Like 1

Kathi, I got a nicely adequate pin vise in the craft section at Wally World a few years ago, but for the really weensy drill bits I have to wrap the end that goes into the chuck with masking tape to get a good, tight fit.

I did get out to the workshop.  I ended up removing the glued on back of the stair carcase to install one of the stringers, then I could see how the second stringer fit.  Next will be the risers and then I can dry fit the assemblage to trace off the downstairs wall, which will be beadboard (like I did in Maggie).  I think I will stain the floors next so they can dry thoroughly for me to start cutting and ironing on the veneer strips for floorboards; although the not-yet-made or named proprietor is arguing for linoleum like I did for the farmhouse kitchen.

Once I have traced where the stairs go I can sand them and spackle the joins and sand everything smooth and paint them; and then I can attach the treads and railings, which are stained.

10 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Kathi, I got a nicely adequate pin vise in the craft section at Wally World a few years ago, but for the really weensy drill bits I have to wrap the end that goes into the chuck with masking tape to get a good, tight fit.

Thanks Holly, I'll try the masking tape trick. :-) Our Wally World doesn't have pin vises in any section any more. When they enlarged the store, they didn't have room enough for all the hardware, crafts, sewing, paint, office supplies and other things they used to carry. It's three times a big as it used to be, and doesn't even have half as much useful stuff. I wish Old Sam Walton would come back down to earth and throw the fear of God into the people who ruined Walmart!!! (I think it was his heirs???)

According to the newspaper, our Walmart brings in way less money than they used to bring in when they were smaller, and doesn't have nearly as many people coming in. I guess that's the way to run a successful business???

Kathi, your project sounds like a real labor of love, you've obviously put so much thought and care into every detail. Nice to see someone so passionate about their project :) 

• Like 2

Thanks Karin, this is one of those once in a lifetime projects for me. Even when I was little, I remember I always had a globe out, and imagined I would travel to different places. I had a set of golden encyclopedias and atlases that I used to look the places up in, and learn about them. I had always planned on having a job that would take me around the world. Unfortunately, as soon as I graduated from high school, my parents decided I needed to be married and have kids. I graduated a year early because I was ahead in school, so I was a year younger than the other kids in my class. That made it even harder to follow my dreams. In the sixties, you didn't go off to school on your own, with no support.

After I was married, I had a chance to go to diplomatic school, all expenses paid, and could have lived anywhere I wanted to, but I've always been the good girl, so here I am, still living on the island, taking care of my mother.

Anyway, I did get a chance to travel once, we went to Moscow, and stayed with friends, and I loved it. I am also lucky enough to have my three grandchildren, and they are very dear to me, so it's not all bad! I guess that's why I love this house, though, Japan is another place I've always wanted to see!

• Like 1

I managed to score a box of various pieces of furniture by Bespaq, JBM, and some basics from Classics that it appeared someone was trying to fix. So as I got that several days earlier than expected I've been busy fixing the fixes... Seems they had a love affair with hot glue and some form of really cheap white glue. After sanding down/scraping off the old glue I've gotten most of the pieces back together. There's a bed that I believe was a canopy bed by Bespaq, only has the frame for the mattress and the footboard -- I have intentions of attempting to make an upholstered headboard for it, and possibly painting and gilding the footboard.

In regards to my townhouse, I got the living room/parlor floor done finally. Am trying to decide if I want to use marble or slate for the kitchen floor, or entry... Still haven't made up my mind there. lol I also have started cutting slots in the floors so that when I slide them into the grooves in the wall it won't mess with my tapewire. Hoping to get the walls all glued together by Wednesday... but we shall see, dealing with trying to get my boyfriend into a dentist -- something he's totally against, but an infection in the gums is nothing to mess with. I've heard too many stories of people letting mouth infections go and having the infection spread. Not something I care to see happen, so will be working on getting him in to get it checked and taken care of.

I got the flooring glued in for the top floor of the barn, and have some furniture kit pieces sanded and stained. I need to sand the exterior, but the shoulder isn't going to cooperate with that. Maybe next weekend?

I'm still debating what to do with the exterior. I'd like it aged and distressed, but just a wee bit. Enough so that it doesn't look brand new, but not so much that it looks like it's about to rot. I've tried to age and distress real furniture before, but don't really care for the effect because it always look fake to me. I think I'll practice on some scrap wood first  and see how I like it.

My friend arrived from London with the second pad of scrapbook paper I needed to finish some of my walls, so I've been wallpapering! The colouring is a little different between the two pads, but it's close enough that I think it looks fine on adjacent walls (just looks like a trick of the light).  It's pretty exciting to see the look start coming together! I'm just sort of going one room at a time (no idea what I'm doing for wallpaper on the third floor)so there isn't a super-cohesive colour scheme or anything, but so far it's coming together pretty well I think! 

im working on "Tangled" tower...the first one I made wasn't like the Disney movie...it was just a tower so that I could display the doll (12 inch) and the horse (12 inch) I got both of them from the thrift store so I thought it would be nice to display them with a tower *little did I know that one smart alec little kid would compare it to the Disney version and loudly proclaim :That doesn't match the tower from the movie!! 

I thought about strangling the little cherub but that would be wrong wouldn't it :)   so I took it home and now Im working on it to make it more authentic ..it wouldn't be an exact copy cause I don't want Disney knocking at my door but Im getting to the point were it looks somewhat like the movie..I'll post photos when I finish (if anything posting on this forum keeps you honest and motivated about your projects) 

also I have two trailers that I have to finish..I have them at the store (hubby runs an collectables and antiques store, I am in charge of the toy section..it's a great way to display your mini's and it doesn't take up a lot of space at home)  I didn't like the trailers so I left them at the store...apparently people like them so now I HAVE another project to finish

and

Im building another beach house...this will be my third..I built one on Christmas..I built another for the undersized urbanette contest (I didn't win..that's ok too it forced me to finish the build) and now Im on my 3rd one because I need something to take up space in the toy room so that's what Im working on..bet you're sorry you asked :) 

oh I almost forgot Im going to build the bates mansion too...but that's after the tower and the trailers and the beach cottage

:)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Summersethomes said:

...oh I almost forgot Im going to build the bates mansion too...but that's after the tower and the trailers and the beach cottage

:)

Assume you're starting with a Beacon Hill?

yes, but it's so far down the road that I haven't even stopped to think about it much...it's been a busy month for me..i got laid off ..then rehired at a plant 30 miles away so Im busy learning new stuff....once I get a few projects out of the way .........(notice the dots..that's me thinking) :)

spent the morning putting the Taft into a quick dry fit and then took it apart for the priming

inside and out...for a 30 yr old kit...the wood is in great condition but I am doing all those steps I usually skip through in my eagerness to make progress...lol

everything is drying now and then it will go back into a dry fit because all the shelves are suppose to be installed prior to gluing walls....now to decide to I want usual nicely stained shelves or do I want fun wacky colors?

the upstairs windows are getting stained glass treatments...turns out Edna taught herself that particular skill while hanging out on the houseboat with Dave...

now to dig out my siding and flooring.....Im thinking of adding a greenhouse to the back of it...lol....these two and their dreams....whatever Dave wants...its always worked for Edna....sigh!:dunno:

• Like 1

Holly, I mentioned the possibility of it spreading to the blood. I've had friends that dealt with that before and received the same warning from dentists. Thankfully, was able to get him to go in and they prescribed antibiotics for him to clear the infection, and once that's clear he's going back in to get checked again! I'm admittedly phobic about having people work in my mouth -- but have always been a stickler for making sure my teeth are tip top shape. I think a good portion of that is due to my being diabetic -- I'm super vigilant about eyes, teeth, etc. Better to be safe than sorry in my book!

17 hours ago, nuttiwebgal said:

Im thinking of adding a greenhouse to the back of it...lol....these two and their dreams....whatever Dave wants...its always worked for Edna..

Oh YES!!!!  A million times yes!!!  That would be beyond awesome!  Now that you've said it, I can't unsee it and it's making my toes wiggle just imagining how perfect that would be.  

On March 25, 2016 at 6:28:42 PM, kathi17 said:

Thanks Holly, I'll try the masking tape trick. :-) Our Wally World doesn't have pin vises in any section any more. When they enlarged the store, they didn't have room enough for all the hardware, crafts, sewing, paint, office supplies and other things they used to carry. It's three times a big as it used to be, and doesn't even have half as much useful stuff. I wish Old Sam Walton would come back down to earth and throw the fear of God into the people who ruined Walmart!!! (I think it was his heirs???)

According to the newspaper, our Walmart brings in way less money than they used to bring in when they were smaller, and doesn't have nearly as many people coming in. I guess that's the way to run a successful business???

I am thankful to Walmart for one major reason. The remodeling and expansion of their stores kept me employed for four years while my other south Florida friends where unemployed during the construction recession.  It was wonderful doing their remodeling projects. They were the only company from 2008 through 2012 that paid cash on time every 25th day of the month. No other projects could get financing so construction was at a standstill. We were able to pay all of our subcontractors on time so that  the few of the contractors that were left were able to keep their jobs and support their families. I will always be grateful to Walmart for that. 

• Like 1

Well I dont think its getting a green house...Dave has one of those already at home...I like the back room for a express pick up service window /consultation room

I stained all the shelves and the counter with 2 diff colors of stain...not that it makes any difference once they are all put together and in the space...sigh...but I know...lol

tomorrow I take it all apart again and do wall treatments and ceilings...Im hoping to do some fun things on both....and beaded curtains ...I am making sooooooo many beaded curtains.....I will have to get a bead stringer thingie...do they have those? :dunno:.... my windows are printed and cant be used so now I will get to do my own thing on the new windows.... I really am going to have to settle on a name soon.....sigh....

ooooo and I finally get to use my new saw for longer then 2 secs to cut a lil something...Im cutting the peel and stick tile Im using for the floor with the grid DH drew on it....

it is going in downstairs.....no shingles for the outside and I have no idea where my bag of birch squares for floors went....sigh...you know what that means???:cry:

yup I didnt organise myself as well as I thought and now I gotta go box hunting...I know I dont have the siding...poooo...but those birch squares ARE here!:groan:

• Like 1

I've spent all day cleaning house (life size house) so now I get to make mini flowers all weekend guilt free! Have a foxglove kit coming in the mail hopefully tomorrow. Expecting a challenge, but foxgloves are so enchanting can't wait to give it a whirl. 

• Like 1

the easy part of the build is finished I have all my major parts and all the inside trim painted and stained....

I textured the downstairs and then remembered I have brick paper and so I am going to sand all the texture off and apply the brick...it looks more old time store character then white...or if I had any painting skills I would paint a mural before installing the shelves but alas...so brick it will be...

I went to cut the tile for the floor and broke my blade without completing one full cut...DH replaced the blade and finished the job so I am now ready to put in the downstairs floor

I have one sheet of the plastic tin ceiling sheet...it will take 2 to cover the whole ceiling....and I also would like to grid it....so after the grans leave and I can get back to it I will have to do more thinking....I do know that part of the upstairs ceiling is getting a sky and stars....building is never the issue I have its the decorating....always 2nd guessing myself so much I come to a complete stop.....sigh....I also have to get some birch to cut another stair runner....this kit only comes with one as the steps snap into the side of the building...Im changing that...lol....today I got myself some beading needles....my plan is to make a frame for each window and tie the top and then the bottom as I get each strand done....

today I found a small sun catcher peace sign that will go perfectly in the window....dont ya love it when a plan comes together:cheer:

• Like 5

Second coat of paint on the barn walls, and I'm thinking I made the floor too dark. Agh! Need to stare at it awhile and make up my mind about what to do. Also can't make a decision about trimming/finishing...3/8" beams, 1/4", stained, painted, distress the walls, distress the floor, etc. I sanded and stained the upstairs walls and floor, and LOVE how that turned out, so that was a win.  

I made a table and the couch from a Realife kit. Love them both! Table needs another finish coat, and I broke the couch fiddling with it this morning...great. I really like the design, but the construction is a bit precarious. 

• Like 1