What's everyone working on?

Hi Linda, if you are talking about the white walls and dark floor in your album, I really like the contrast. The white walls are light, so they offset the dark floor and provide nice contrast.

Yeah, the construction of some of those furniture kits is pretty delicate, but they are so beautiful, that it's worth it!

Finished up another room in my Japanese house. It was kind of a relief, because there were so many parts, and the diagrams were not very good for figuring out which part was which!

• Like 3

Things are moving in slow motion for me right now but I'm still getting in some mini time.  I have the fabric cut for all the pillows for Nutti's furniture and the little feets are all painted and ready to go on after I finish the trim.  It's slow, but getting there.  I also finally finished the refresh of my website which was cause for celebration around here.  (I danced the cats around and gave them extra treats and catnip which is the equivalent of a blow-out party at our house)  The website is a LOT bigger than I'd thought with a total of 4,700 individual URLs.  That's a combination of landing pages and clickable pictures but still a whooooole lotta website.  

I reverted the background back to my beloved leafy design which is just cleaner and nicer.  Since "mobile ready" upgades run in the hundred of dollars, I decided to simply change the formatting so that it's almost as easily viewed on a mobile device as it is on a computer and called it good.  If I were still running a business, I'd have done the upgrade but since it's just an eye candy site now, I kept it simple.  There's no flash or slideshows or fancy bells and whistles, just stories and pictures that are a nice way to entertain miniaturists.  I also cleaned up a lot of the links so that houses with story lines can follow an easier "tour" of the house and things like the beds and furniture are in in single galleries rather than trying to put them into genres.  Basically, it's just a whole lotta eye candy that's easy to look at.  (And Holly, the pictures are mostly thumbnails that you can click to see the bigger picture so the pages load fast and easy  :))  Anyway, if y'all need some mini entertainment, the link is http://www.debsminis.com/  and you have my word that there are no ads and no spyware.  This is my own domain and I keep it squeaky clean  If you happen to run across a page with a pink background, just click the refresh button on your browser and it'll reload it to the new one.  I also fixed the glich that made it open new pages so that annoying problem is gone now.  

I'm off to try and get in some studio time if I can.  Or maybe a nap.

• Like 4

I finished the Arthur roof.   I had fudged the roof in the front because it didn't fit right ( probably my error) but the very top row did not exactly come out even.  Also the shingles were two different shades so I painted the whole thing dark gray and it doesn't look too bad.    I still have a bunch to do inside but I am already planning my hippie bus.   
We drove out to where the hippie buses were suppose to be on Sunday but they apparently moved them somewhere else.   I have an idea in my head already so waiting for the kit to come in the mail. 

5 hours ago, Deb said:

There's no flash or slideshows or fancy bells and whistles, just stories and pictures that are a nice way to entertain miniaturists.

I am so glad! I hate websites with all that garbage. It takes them a long time to load, and is a big distraction when you are trying to read the information on the sites. Slideshows are really awful, because you either have to sit through a whole bunch of stuff just to get to what you want to see, then you no sooner see something you like, and it's gone before you get a good look at it.

I don't ever remember anything annoying like that on your site though Deb. I thought your's was always easy to use.

I've always enjoyed your site Deb. 

I finished 3 foxgloves today, made from a hankypanky kit. Wow those petals were tiny and fiddly. Took me all day to do 3 stalks and definitely took a toll on my eyesight for the rest of the evening! Id like to design my own foxglove a little bigger and more simplified. 

Mini on :) 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, kathi17 said:

I don't ever remember anything annoying like that on your site though Deb. I thought your's was always easy to use.

I've always been violently opposed to putting ads on my site because they annoy the heck out me too.  When I was a business, it was used to reach out to my clientele but after I stopped selling I kept it going because the eye candy makes for a fun little mini-vacation and it still averages over 500 hits per day.   At one point I had slideshows and gadget-y galleries but that seemed to take away from the actual miniatures so I went back to keeping it simple.   Thank you guys for your feedback about it and I'm really glad you enjoy visiting there.  :)

• Like 2

I've been busy making mini plants from some kits I was lucky enough to get from a mini friend whom is helping clear out a now out of business dealers' stock. I have a cute little anemone plant and a dragon tree -- only 30 some more to go. lol I've also got quite a few plastic sheets of bricks drying with new paint. Used a stone effect spray paint, and once that's dry will be going back over the individual bricks to get some variation. Have still been working on redoing a number of furniture pieces, and am really glad I brought along some of my HOM kits with me to work on. Almost sick how many of those I've amassed, but I really do love them! 

Deb, I quite enjoyed visiting your site last night as well!  :)

• Like 1

Assembly has begun on Brimble's stairs.  I'm going to paint the carcase, except for the railing, treads and landing, so I'm attaching the risers, then I can mask off the tabs and get ready to spackle, prime and paint. Also working on that ( *magic word* ) tree for the farmhouse.

• Like 2

My little travel trailer came today already!!!!   Wow!     Still waiting on the Bus.    

Going a little crazy with my Arthur.....it might be over kill now I look at it but what the hey!     I am having lots of fun! 

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2016‎ ‎11‎:‎49‎:‎13‎, WyckedWood said:

I've always enjoyed your site Deb. 

I finished 3 foxgloves today, made from a hankypanky kit. Wow those petals were tiny and fiddly. Took me all day to do 3 stalks and definitely took a toll on my eyesight for the rest of the evening! Id like to design my own foxglove a little bigger and more simplified. 

Mini on :) 

oohh- I LOVE foxgloves!!  I would love to try my hand at making some of those hanky panky kits, but don't know if my fingers can do 'fiddly' any more!

I made a new purchase today!!  (just don't tell my hubby! :giggle:)  It's a rather large room box I found on CL....it was filled with lots of stuff for a Christmas scene, but there was plenty of little treasures that can be distributed amongst my various houses and room boxes!  :D  I am thinking about making this my cake bakery I've always wanted to do. I had a small one for years, but have visions of enlarging it -  and this may be the perfect box for it!  :clap: I will post pics soon!

I also had a eye exam early this morning and was scheduled to go into work after lunch (thus the time to pick up my room box, which happen to be 5 minutes away from the dr's office!) - had about 2 hours before I needed to be at the office so I got to work on the farmhouse some more!  While it was a little annoying/interesting trying to measure and cut base board moulding with dilated eyeballs  :crazyeyes:, I did manage to make good progress.  Looking forward to finishing up the 2nd floors rooms by this weekend.

• Like 1

I made a sofa for my Arthur about a month ago.  I was never really happy with it.  So I spent the past 4 hours making another one.........much better!    It was really bugging me the first one..........does this ever happen to you?    I can't just let it rest can I?:hehe:

Happens to me all the time, Roxy; I just go ahead and keep at it. 

I finished gluing on all the risers this AM and after lunch I went out to mask off all the tabs and noticed Brimble's stairs looked crooked.  Closer examination showed me that the stringer that will glue to the wall wasn't lined up as it had been when I put glue on it and lined it all up; it had slipped, apparently before the glue dried and I hadn't noticed.  So all the risers had to come off and then the stringer, which has been reglued and taped into submission.  I guess my next session will be to reglue the risers, but not tomorrow, as the dealership supposedly has the replacement back window for our truck cap.

10 hours ago, minikelli said:

Two days now I've been cutting 1/4" by 1/2" subway tiles from polymer clay... I don't think I'm ever going to be done! I love working with the clay, just very repetitive at the moment...

I know the feeling, I just did the same thing in about the same size with a ton of shingles. It's so boring, but it really will be worth it when you are done!

• Like 1

Posted my latest farmhouse progress pics!  After being stumped/frustrated for months, I finally just got it done and moved forward! :cheer:  Yay me!

So I ended up using the board that was supposed to be the 3rd floor for the second floor....which means I gotta go out to the lumber yard again for another piece of plywood.  :/   AND I realized that I had NO window trim in my stash!! Argh!  And I just missed an HBS sale!  argh. :cry: Well....I'm off to spend more money....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

Posted my latest farmhouse progress pics!  After being stumped/frustrated for months, I finally just got it done and moved forward! :cheer:  Yay me!

So I ended up using the board that was supposed to be the 3rd floor for the second floor....which means I gotta go out to the lumber yard again for another piece of plywood.  :/   AND I realized that I had NO window trim in my stash!! Argh!  And I just missed an HBS sale!  argh. :cry: Well....I'm off to spend more money....

It is looking so beautiful now, you must be feeling really good about it!

• Like 1

at long last the items I ordered for the taft have arrived..:banana:..after I had DH cut the tile for the floor downstairs...I had a change of heart....Dave really loves the old charm of the store so he just wants to up date a few things and a wood floor is a must and I love the one I did for my daughters MHM that I must have one for myself...lol...so I have waited for my siding and birch squares and dang if Debs enthusiasm for a greenhouse didnt start Dave's now lil lady attitude that in fact he likes that idea better then a roof top garden...think of the ins!!!

so before its all over a greenhouse may be ordered for the upstairs ....sigh....I am gonna need a bigger base for the whole thing...lol...:groan:

so after DH leaves for the week tomorrow I will sand down the textured wall and brick it and finish the ceilings that I have been working on... found 2 sheets of wonderfully textured scrap book paper that Im hoping will paint copper...and if I cant find more paper I am going to get some wood and grid the downstairs ceiling....I wish I knew where my wood burner went cus it sure would come in handy for this project:dunno:

oh and even though I did order new birch squares...I did not find the 1 and a half packages I KNOW is left over from the MHM floor...lol...sigh I havent given up hope yet!:flex: