What's everyone working on?

sigh...unfortunately the Wannabis is not quite ready for the most amazing furniture but fortunately the Wannabis is not quite ready and that means the room it is going in is an open slate...the floor is done and Im hoping it will be ready for a dry fit and some auditioning of wall color and other ideas wondering around

my support post for downstairs is turning out pretty nice...cant wait to see how it all goes together...

I thought I had some leading strips for the windows but have yet to find them....also if anyone knows how I can get my stained glass windows really dark I appreciate the help...

Ive used sharpies and they work fine...but Im looking for WOW.... tomorrow I clean house and try and fix the downstairs floors...Im not a perfectionist but yeeeeesh:dunce:

found my wood burner and I have a stencil...if it works out...I will be doing the same stencil and burning on the window areas....

Wish I could help in regards to getting your stained glass darker, I'm attempting to do mine with both Gallery Glass and Pebeo Paints. The Pebeo has a more opaque look to it but has some really neat effects(can you tell I've been having fun experimenting with it?!?) As for me, I spent not quite an hour yesterday chopping a pack of 100 coffee stirrers into 1 inch long tiles. A bit longer to glue them all down, but I now have a herringbone tile wood floor for my kitchen. I love when you can achieve a look you've loved in real life for a pretty cheap investment. I've been really trying to do this Brownstone on a shoestring budget -- but have been thankful I brought the wallpaper and flooring selections I did with me on the move. Really liking the direction it seems this build is going... only issue currently is every time I think I've finally got my kitchen layout figured I stumble upon another idea that I really want to try. At least I have all the kitchen floor tiles glued down to their template. Going to leave them to dry tonight and go back to sanding, staining, and finishing them tomorrow while I wrestle with ideas for the walls... Narrow kitchen equals me taking twice as long to get everything in it, but still have it look livable.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Deb, those are some psychedelic chairs! Wow! Nice find on that tiny print!

<grinning from ear to ear>  It's the psychedelic power that makes them so fascinating to me.  It's impossible to feel sad when working with all that color and that lift was something I desperately needed right now.  The print is actually a 1:1 scale paisley but when fussy-cut for the right parts, it really rocked in 1:12.  I'm going to try to do a fussy-cut of one of the paisley parts and make a picture frame for it so Dave and Edna have a matching poster to hang on the wall.  I'm thinking that if I print out a black peace sign on a sheet of transparency, it could go over the fabric and under the frame to really make it look like traditional 1960's wall art.  

16 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Dave & Edna will be ecstatic!

I hope so!!  We'll show it to them tomorrow and see how they like it!   

I'm looking forward to my next mini project already.  It's another bit of furniture for Lynette.....this time a dressed bed for the Queen Anne.  It's going to be all crisp whites and blues on a white wire wicker bed....a very airy and light most fitting for the Queen.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Deb said:

After a rough week I finally got back into the studio and finished Nutti's furniture for her Taft.  So here's some bright and happy minis to look at!   

It's also a fun game.  Take a couch and chair:

large.acidskittles2.jpg.5f87850b868d6b56

And a big pile of cushions and throw pillows:

large.acidskittles9c.jpg.ec5f6d8afe0a810

And then consider how much time you could spend sitting there arranging and re-arranging it all.   Best fun I've had in a long time!!  Here's a picture of one combination:

large.acidskittles8.jpg.1b282cd9cc291063

There are pictures of other combinations here:  http://www.debsminis.com/technicolor_dream_couch.htm  I have no idea which arrangement I like better coz they're all pretty cool.  I'm going to visit Nutti on Wednesday and take the furniture to her so we'll get pictures of it together with the split ottoman that goes in the same room.  She hasn't finished the house yet and I'm already dying to go hang out in it!  Where did I put that shrinker-thingy to make myself small?  

Oh my!!  I absolutely love love loooove these!  Hmmm we may have to talk soon!

• Like 1

Lookin' very good, Mike. So will you be serving warm beer or icy cold beer? By the way, when my breakfast gets done in about 10 minutes, I'm going to head towards your country watching another smashing episode of Police Interceptors while I eat.

5 hours ago, Deb said:

I'm looking forward to my next mini project already.  It's another bit of furniture for Lynette.....this time a dressed bed for the Queen Anne.  It's going to be all crisp whites and blues on a white wire wicker bed....a very airy and light most fitting for the Queen.  

That sounds beautiful Deb!

2 hours ago, mikeuk said:

and do you ship to England Deb if so......get producing!

A slow day finishing the bar furniture....still need wine chiller cabinets and then of course the wine!........plus all the stool hooks......I must have stool hooks!

GL071s.jpg

Most definitely Mike! I don't drink, so I haven't been to too many bars, but the few I've been in had the hooks on the bar in front of the stools. I think I like those better than if they were on the stools, because then your purse is right in front of you where you can keep an eye on it. Is it more common to have them on the stool?

The tree, for better or for worse, is done.  I could have done more and longer branches for a fuller look, but then I'd never have gotten the "bark" done.  It is now in place outside the farmhouse parlor window, and when DS#2 comes back I'll ask him to snap a picture I can add to the album.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The tree, for better or for worse, is done.  I could have done more and longer branches for a fuller look, but then I'd never have gotten the "bark" done.  It is now in place outside the farmhouse parlor window, and when DS#2 comes back I'll ask him to snap a picture I can add to the album.

I'm looking forward to the picture, holly.

Stained my herringbone floor for the kitchen, went with a lighter color to make sure the natural color variations in the "tiles" showed up. So far really liking it, tomorrow will be the final finish and then I'll see how it looks in the kitchen. I've been wanting to do upscale and classy throughout the brownstone, but I keep wanting to do at least one room a bit more modern and funky. Thinking the kitchen is probably going to be the fun and funky room... Not sure with the rest of the house being done in whites, golds, and more pastel colors how I could fit the paisley wallpaper in I keep looking at... but in the same breath it's going to have the fun herringbone tile floor, an exposed brick wall, and I'm thinking the subway tiles I made may end up being used in another "different" pattern than the typical running bond. So perhaps that will keep it a bit more updated and modern without the paisley wallpaper... If anyone else has ideas on making it updated but still blending with a classic vibe I am open to suggestions. I do know I'm building all my cabinets from scratch, as again the kitchen is only 6.5" wide. Thinking I may well do some open shelving on the exposed brick wall to help it appear more open. I've been studying real life kitchens for the last week trying to work this design out in my head and still have it work with the rest of the house.

After taking a hiatus from working on my Alison Jr for a year, due to limited workspace and then a move, I finally started again. Only to be immediately sidetracked with making Tiffany inspired lampshades. Last year I got distracted with stained glass windows... I don't even have a house assembled enough to put these things in! It seems I enjoy making miniatures more than the structures to house them in. 

I have a prototype but need to investigate better ways to make my lampshade. I'm wondering if applying my stained glass techniques to a lampshade made from translucent polymer clay would give the results I'm looking for. 

Still painting windows and window trim for the farmhouse......

Oh- I did get the stair railing assembled and will work on getting that installed this week as well.  I need to remember to take more pics!

1 hour ago, mikeuk said:

OK girls you can bring your bags!

If there is one thing that I find slightly boring about building houses it's painting the few few coats........If there is one I find very boring it's cutting and sticking labels!

It's a job done though and whilst those objects under the bar counter may look suspiciously like 'Dome Head Rivets' they are in fact 'HANDBAG HOOKS'.........the end are convex so that they don't rip  men's trousers!!.........

There are different sized wine bottles on display........Standard Bottle 750ml........Magnum 1.5 Litre........Jeroboam 4.5 Litre and ideal for a party of.........2!

GL072s.jpg

GL073s.jpg

Mike you do the most AWESOME work!!

• Like 1

The bar that houses the Sunday Jazz Brunch has double coat hooks along the bar for hanging purses; I like yours better, Mike.

I have begun masking off the interior walls for spreading the skim coat of spackle, and cutting the iron-on veneer into "boards".

~W~O~N~D~E~R~F~U`L~ Mike! It is so considerate of you to go through the extra work for the ladies! LOVE the ceiling, the signs, the bar, the paneled wall, the door, the floor - well, let's just say I love everything!!! The bottles and labels you made are truly magnificent!  So worth it when doing something so mundane turns out to be something extraordinary!

• Like 1

Here is my VERY rough lampshade prototype. I was pretty sloppy with my lead lines and paint application. Obviously it is missing a finial and the leading around the bottom. I just wanted to get a feel for working on a round object. I don't know if its to scale - I went of some dimensions I found online for similar lampshades. I will look for a different method to make the lampshade next time since I'm not very happy with how this one turned out.

20160420_200030.jpg

20160420_200209.jpg

• Like 2