What's everyone working on?

First off Mike HAVE to say I love your video of your bar! Second, also loving the look of the new bar -- can't wait to see it all come together for you!

Sable, that granite countertop is fabulous! Do you mind my asking where it was you bought your lucite? Lastly, many thanks for sharing how you did that -- it truly looks magnificent!

For myself, started gluing floors in last night only to realize how unrealistic my brownstone's set-up was... Most every image I've googled there's been some sort of entryway/foyer, and the way I was going it would have been literally someone walking right into the kitchen from the front door. Realized I just didn't like that idea... soo of course ended up cutting my kitchen floor down by about two and a half inches, and fitting in some marble flooring to be an incredibly small entrance way, but I'm liking it a lot better now so I'm glad I went ahead and made the change. This then led to me having to re-do the kitchen ceiling panel -- which I loved the first go I did, but had to re-do to get the measurements to work out... don't like this second one as much, but I haven't painted it yet or applied trim so keeping my fingers crossed it comes out alright. Btw, note to self and others if making homemade beadboard out of basswood -- make sure you take a few breaks. My fingers are still sore hours after finishing that up! lol

Last but not least I've now got 4 sheets of plastic brick glued to one side. Realized while doing this, that while I thought I had enough for the sides and back -- I may be just a hair short... so am now looking at various images of brownstone style houses to see if there is some way to break up the brick so I don't have to order more sheets. REALLY trying to stick to a budget on this and use up what supplies I brought with me... we shall see if I'm able. I'm also going to try to upload a few more images into my brownstone album to show what I've been doing. (Really trying to keep myself on point with taking pictures as I work to show the process. Seems I always start out taking pics and then just do pictures of the house finished.)

• Like 2

I should clarify that I am using thin plexiglass from Home Depot for the granite. I don't know why I keep calling it Lucite. I also should point out only Lowes sells the larger specked spray paint, not HD.

• Like 2

It was with great relief when I checked the photo in the instruction sheet to discover I had indeed spackled the correct side of the left wall!  Today I skimmed the first/ ground floor ceiling and have begun to prime it, and in the meantime I began to iron on the first floor's "boards".

Color washing my shingles - grey now, will do all roof like this, and then go back over it with at least one more dark grey/black wash. I've never done this before and I like the results. I may do this on my Thornhill as well!

large.IMAG1137.jpg.5516c949be30b9e4f1017

• Like 3

On 4/25/2016, 2:32:49, mikeuk said:

I don't usually come on at this time of the day (10:25 UK time) but I thought you might like to watch my movie!.........Move over Mr Hitchcock!

Almost finished the bar on the first floor and the Piano Room has a TV!

Hope you enjoy!

That's a beautiful scene and a beautiful video!  You did a great job with that TV, too!  

You didn't say if the 10:25 was a.m. or p.m. :) 

Edited by CheckMouse
typo

I've been working on my Micro Village (Must find a good name for it!) and pretty much finished the corner where the Garfield will sit. I have the Garfield already on a base, which is 1/4" high, and I can't take it off - all glued and landscaped. So I used some Paperclay (I love that stuff!) to build up a slope from the base to the  house level. Then spread it with glue and "planted" grass. Turned out pretty good. I have a flowering bush for the front of the house and a tall tree for the back, but not going to put those in yet - don't want to risk damaging them while I work on the rest of it. 

Started building the little Fisherman's Lodge, and the layout for the "mountain" (a spectacular piece of driftwood) and the lake.  I'm losing track, but I think the Lodge is around house #10 that I've built in this scale, and it is the hardest one yet!  Not that the house is so hard, but the instructions are not clear at all.   I got spoiled by the Templewood's kit that I built - with 8 pages of diagrammed instructions!  This Lodge has two levels, with the back of it where people enter, and the front of it over the water. So I just started putting it together in what I considered a logical manner - nothing like the instructions!  Only one boo-boo when I put the front roof on backwards. :(  But I noticed it pretty soon and was able to remove it and turn it around. 

Then last night I also made a little log cabin, an adorable little thing that will tuck into the back of the mountain under a ledge. Got to have some hobo living on the edge of town!  Took all of 10 minutes to build that one! 

I'm enjoying my evenings again - both my husband and my mother turn in around 9:30 p.m. - and the rest of the night is mine, until midnight -  or 1:00 a.m.  - or 2:00 a.m. if I'm on a roll! :cucumber:

• Like 1

WOW!  Kathi!!!!!   That is some project!   It looks wonderful! 

I decided since I "finished" my Arthur I would get out my Casa Ocaso room box and "finish" it.  Holly,  do you remember that one?   I put it up 2 years ago without a roof/ceiling and now I am doing a flat tiled roof and a ceiling with vigas.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I would hold off on adding a darker wash until you have all the shingles the color of the finished part of the roof, as it really pops with the exterior color.

Good advice, Holly. It does indeed make a huge difference to see it all done. One thing I noticed is that its more obvious now where my corner shingles meet, the edges are not good. :(  I'm going to put roof caps on them to make this look nicer. 

I still think a darker wash is going to need to be done.

large.IMG_3874.JPG.a0dd0b15037a0189b4f35large.IMG_3891.JPG.4a72d6965551811001189

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roxxie2 said:

WOW!  Kathi!!!!!   That is some project!   It looks wonderful! 

I decided since I "finished" my Arthur I would get out my Casa Ocaso room box and "finish" it.  Holly,  do you remember that one?   I put it up 2 years ago without a roof/ceiling and now I am doing a flat tiled roof and a ceiling with vigas.   

Thanks Roxie, I'm having so much fun building it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Definitely the roof caps rock!  The color looks great now; it's my monitor and your house; but I still wouldn't go too dark

Too late! I'm very happy with the darker finish. If I add anything, it will be light stippling to create streaks, showing wear from rain. Now I can move forward on the other exterior stuff, like the dormer color, roof edge trim, soffit trim and the courtyard patio, garden wall. 

It does make me want to paint the Thornhill shingles - you can see it off to the right in the back. Maybe I will do that so that I can call it pretty much done, and move it upstairs. Then I can move my French Country over to the true dollhouse workshop area. 

large.IMG_3897.JPG.ddfa42d0b3e330c221508

• Like 1

I finally purchased another piece of birch plywood for the 3rd floor of the farmhouse, but now have been putzing around doing small painting jobs until the weather clears.  I like to do my priming (for the 2nd floor 'ceiling' side) and staining (for the 3rd floor flooring) outside and the weather has been perfect until this week!

In the meantime I have cut out 2 divider walls for the 3rd floor.  I have lowered all of the floors a tad in order to create a more useable 3rd floor.  The two walls will create 3 more rooms to play in!   I used the old floor board to cut the walls out of, so the surface is a little rough....gave 'em a skim coat of spackle and will paint tonite.   I've also been painting the inside portion of the roof section and re-shingling the back portion of the roof.  Making some good progress, but still 'putzing' a bit until I am able to push forward on the 3rd floor....

Soooo.....I decided that I needed a little diversion!  I had been doing some research on interior design to find some inspiration for a mid-century modern room box.  I have 2 acrylic pieces that I purchased at the Manhattan Dollhouse Shop in NYC and have been itching to display them.  I had purchased the wall house kit and had painted it and done the flooring in preparation of doing this modern scene....but after dry fitting it and placing my pieces in to get a feel for what I need to do next.....  it was seriously like dressing your teen-aged daughter in an ugly, over-sized, puffy-sleeved 80's bridesmaid dress and trying to convince her it will make a terrific prom dress!   The house didn't "talk" at all.....it just kinda stood there with slouched shoulders looking quite annoyed.

OK, fine.  So the wall house doesn't wanna be a mid-century modern!  Not sure what it really wants to be, but I have heard some whisperings between the house and the cute little blue stripe sofa I came across in the closet.....hmmmm.... it may just want to be a cute little shabby chic cottage!