What's everyone working on?

24 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Or it might want to be a little old retired couple's cottage...

Perfect!  :D

Holly- Since you are the Queen of Spackle, I have to tell you this.... in case you need a little giggle today!

I am not much for a lot of make-up or anti-aging potions and creams, but my DD#1 is the Queen of the Coupons/Bargain Shopping and found me a stash of Olay items.  So the other week I decided to try the one product: a primer.  I was amazed as I smoothed it across my cheek and actually said out loud "it's like spackle for your face!"  Well, you can imagine my amusement when later that evening as I was channel surfing and came across the shopping channel selling today's make-up bargain: a face primer actually called "Spackle"!!  :D  LOL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Perfect!  :D

Holly- Since you are the Queen of Spackle, I have to tell you this.... in case you need a little giggle today!

I am not much for a lot of make-up or anti-aging potions and creams, but my DD#1 is the Queen of the Coupons/Bargain Shopping and found me a stash of Olay items.  So the other week I decided to try the one product: a primer.  I was amazed as I smoothed it across my cheek and actually said out loud "it's like spackle for your face!"  Well, you can imagine my amusement when later that evening as I was channel surfing and came across the shopping channel selling today's make-up bargain: a face primer actually called "Spackle"!!  :D  LOL

rotflmao!  I don't wear make up, either; got tired of the way the "hypo-allergenic" stuff reacted chemically to the stuff that occurs naturally on my skin.

On 4/28/2016, 9:13:44, jbnmini said:

In the meantime I have cut out 2 divider walls for the 3rd floor.  I have lowered all of the floors a tad in order to create a more useable 3rd floor.  The two walls will create 3 more rooms to play in!   I used the old floor board to cut the walls out of, so the surface is a little rough....gave 'em a skim coat of spackle and will paint tonite.   I've also been painting the inside portion of the roof section and re-shingling the back portion of the roof.  Making some good progress, but still 'putzing' a bit until I am able to push forward on the 3rd floor....

Jackie - I love the work on the farmhouse! 

M

3 hours ago, mikeuk said:

I've been on this for ages!.....well it seems like ages and 3 versions too but I think this will do.........New bar stools and counter for the 'Tapas Bar'

Mike - I love this Tapas bar too! Your detail and results are truly an inspiration!

I'm now painting and stippling the trim for the roof edge and soffit - its coming along nicely!

I finished priming the ground floor ceiling and laid more floor "boards" downstairs.  I think I have worked out the second floor layout for the owner's residence, but I'll wait for another dry fit to mark things off for flooring & extra wall/s.

Since Yestersay was super busy with visiting the show inFarum/Denmark and now this morning I sent Hubby away on his merry way to a bike race (it is apprecieras 6 am over here now) I am awaiting a better light to be able to photograph My finns from yesterday. Found My kitties and a few other bits and pieces...

hugs

• Like 1

The glue holding the first floor walls and floors together finally dried. A couple of the spots dried crooked. A couple of spots didn't glue well and came undone. 

I need to just suck it up and reglue the entire thing but I'm sure that it'll dry just as crooked since one of the pieces is just a little warped. I'm likely going to smoosh some glue in to hold the walls together and then just sand to make the divider wall fit. I should have glued it already but that's how it goes. 

It was just done enough that I could play around a little tonight with some furniture odds and ends. I have a spinning wheel and a treadle sewing machine for it. I want to make a navajo loom, a floor loom, and a great wheel for it as well. Of course, then I'll need a cone holder and lots of shelving for all the yarn and fiber that one needs for the craft room that I'm envisioning. I spent several hours looking at pictures online of looms to convince myself that I can make some ok enough replicas if I would just stop being intimidated. It's mostly simple. 

Feels like it too Holly, looking through the pics I see I missed all the brass pieces for making chandeliers/lamps. 

HUga

Will someone explain to me how a person can spend 4 hours working on a dollhouse and get nothing accomplished? Because that's what I did today.

I decided to take out the bedroom window seat in the Glencroft. Used a hammer. Surprise! Half the window seat is part of the overhang, so it ain't coming out. But I didn't find that out until after I wrecked it. I decided to ignore it for the rest of the day. That's what I get for trying to change something before I've had my Wheaties. Here's the rest of the day's doings:

I put in the two fireplace hearths. The bottom one went in backwards (that was a me error) and I broke part of the hearth floor off. Easy fix.

Decided I didn't want a wood box in the bedroom. Couldn't find the piece I punched out. Made a new one. It's a little wonky. Found the punch out. Tried to fit that in, but it had to be cut down because the tongue on the second floor is now through the opening. Cut it wonky. Glued it in anyway.

Decided to put in the bookcase on the first floor. Guess where the bookcase sides are? Right. In the window opening I don't want to punch out. Made two more sides. They were too short, so I decided to shorten the rest of the bookcase. Had to recut six bookcase pieces. Joy.

Went to fit in and finish my staircase. Staircase for some reason overhangs the back of the dollhouse. Had to cut it down on the bottom and on the top. Bookcase now interferes with the staircase. Had to cut a notch on the underside of the stairs so it could rest on the bookcase top and look straight, instead of like a dangerous ski run. Staircase is now straight, but is lifted off the bottom of the floor by about a quarter inch. Added a quarter inch all round the bottom of the staircase to lift it up.The first step is now practically double the height of the second step. I hope the carpet I get is about a quarter inch thick, or that's going to look like some funny staircase. Lisa said (while laughing) that I should explain it away as the builder of the house wanting to keep kids and small dogs from going up the stairs. I told her she wasn't being helpful. I finally got the last two steps for the staircase cut and glued. The last turn of the staircase is, for some mysterious reason, too wide to fit through the bedroom door. I'll break it apart and cut it down next week.

I finished off my day by going to Taco Time and getting a chicken salad. When I got home and went to eat it (30 minutes and 20 miles later), I noticed the cardboard dish the salad was in was filthy, like they had taken it out of the garbage and reused it. I tossed the salad.

It's 6pm. I'm going back to bed, getting up at about 8pm and starting the day over. Which will be wonderful, since there will only be four more hours to deal with.

• Like 2

By the way, everyone, Lisa and I are bestie friends and if I grouse at her, she knows it's in good fun. Same if she laughs at me. And when she tries to tell me the correct way to do things, it's because she's watching me do something totally stupid and is trying to save me heartache later on. If not heartache, at least she's trying to spare herself the ordeal of listening to me swear while I redo something that wouldn't have had to be redone if I had just listened to her in the first place. Lisa reads directions and is very careful and patient about building her house. I'm like a bull in a china shop plowing my way through and if something won't fit, I use the "When in doubt, use force" way of thinking. Lisa is a perfectionist. I'm of the close-enough-is good-enough school of thought.

A good example of how we work together is how we get on working on these houses. I have yet to read any of the instructions on putting the Glencroft together. Lisa puts up with me when I put it together wrong and have to take it apart again, throwing a temper tantrum while I'm doing it. She very patiently puts up with me telling her exactly how I would like her house to look. And we're still friends at the end of the day.

• Like 2

Awww Kelly, so sorry to hear about all your misadventures today.  :cry: I've had days like that and for me its time to call it quits for the day when things go south. Tomorrow things will look different and perhaps you'll have a better way to fix what still needs adjusting.

I spent several hours stippling all the trim pieces, and then glued the 2 sets on the main portion of my house. I then went at the chimney top, and am very pleased with how that came out. I also painted the exterior of the oeil-de-boeuf dormer windows with that same base grey that I used on the trim. Hopefully that will be the final coat, except that I will touch up the round raised portions with cream.

large.IMG_3939.JPG.e097b0d04952f87f1db6e

• Like 3

13 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I'm like a bull in a china shop plowing my way through and if something won't fit, I use the "When in doubt, use force" way of thinking.

Kelly, you'll appreciate this. Back in the day, when I owned a stained glass shop, a friend and I were brainstorming possible logos for the business. "Aha!", she said. "How about a large rubber mallet for the artwork and a slogan: 'We'll make it fit!" Of course we didn't use it, but it did give us a good laugh. 

• Like 3

Hi Kelly, been there, done that. Lots of times!

Heidi, your house is looking really beautiful!

Yesterday, I got some very boring and complicated shingling almost done on my Japanese house. Today, I hope I can get the other side done so I will be able to start another room. I love decorating the rooms, but I don't like the boring, repetitive stuff!

Work on the half scale cottage going slowly. I sit and stare at it a lot. Sometimes the vision just doesn't come through, so I can't make the next part. I did make a little porch roof and I finished the shingle boards on the roof. I found about a square foot of unfinished veneer in the basement for that. Yesterday I finished making the floor part of the little porch and now need to figure out how the steps and pathway down the hill should look and work out.