What's everyone working on?

Just in time for Spring, Anna.

i'm finally moving along on the White House. The box is built, marble foundation applied and room partitions installed. Maybe some electrical tonight.

• Like 1

OK- so I used artist's acrylics to paint my egg carton bricks on Friday, figuring that on Saturday they would be dry so I could do the spray sealant....WRONG!  So it's now Monday morning and the paint is still tacky to the touch!  o.0   So how long does this stuff take to dry!?   The monsoons have finally abated here in SE Pennsylvania, so I put the wall outside, hoping that it would dry faster out there.  So, what the heck is up with this paint? :dunno:

• Like 1

I have been making youtube videos of my Garfield house construction, just slide shows of the pics. And moving the house back out into the open so I can work on it again. I next will finish the stucco work and paint the outside.  here is link to the videos if you want to take a peak. I think its a faster way to go through the pics. watch for video 6 soon!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVhDAEakel9oif9PAgjtk_g

Anna, I love that build and all of your details! Really great work!

I was feeling a bit funky yesterday, and that Bobbi kit just fell out of the box and started building itself! This morning I had a bit of panic...I only have a plan for the exterior, and not a single idea for the inside. Maybe it will just work itself out?

Meanwhile, making windows for the barn. I really, really dislike making windows.    

• Like 2

Well, the Franklin was going to be next, and is sitting in the craft room, dry-fitted together. I got stuck on the windows. It looks like I'll be making the windows for that house as well, and I'd like to practice a bit more with my new jig saw before I start hacking on the Franklin.

That Bobbi is supposed to be a house to practice my stone and brick techniques on. I found some windows at Hobby Lobby that I liked, so decided to see how they would fit. I had it out of the box to check the windows, and decided to dry fit it, just to see how small it was really going to be. Next thing I knew, I was gluing together the foundation! I do have some ideas for the interior, but really no theme or time period or colors or anything. It's going to be a low budget build, so I may go through my stash of furniture this weekend and see what turns up. See what happens when you're waiting for paint and glue to dry and decide to just fiddle with something else?   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Well, the Franklin was going to be next, and is sitting in the craft room, dry-fitted together. I got stuck on the windows. It looks like I'll be making the windows for that house as well, and I'd like to practice a bit more with my new jig saw before I start hacking on the Franklin.

That Bobbi is supposed to be a house to practice my stone and brick techniques on. I found some windows at Hobby Lobby that I liked, so decided to see how they would fit. I had it out of the box to check the windows, and decided to dry fit it, just to see how small it was really going to be. Next thing I knew, I was gluing together the foundation! I do have some ideas for the interior, but really no theme or time period or colors or anything. It's going to be a low budget build, so I may go through my stash of furniture this weekend and see what turns up. See what happens when you're waiting for paint and glue to dry and decide to just fiddle with something else?   

Now that summer is coming, why not make it a little vacation house? A lot of little vacation houses have leftover furniture in them! Just make it your little dream vacation cottage!

My granddaughter's Orchid should be here today. It's coming a day early. This is the first time I am not excited to get "mini mail", because it means I will have to stop working on my Japanese house for a while if I want to get her house built before her birthday.

I ordered it from HBS, and got some little accessories for her and my grandson, as well as a better pin vise and drills for me, some dollhouse wax, which I was out of, and some battery powered LEDs so I can try making some lights for my Japanese house.

Has anyone in the US ever ordered any fimo food from Angie Scarr, and if you did, how long did it take to get it?

I'm terrible at making fruit canes, and I don't think I could ever make a lot of what she makes so beautifully, so I'd love to order some things from her, but we may try to go out to deliver my granddaughters dollhouse in a few weeks, and I don't want them arriving while I am gone. I'm not sure how long it takes for things to get here from the UK.

40 minutes ago, mikeuk said:

Glad to see you're all here......I've some catching up to do!

A funny week with all sorts going on but yesterday I sat at my desk and tried something I've wanted to try for ages!......Bit rough and it needs finishing around the 'ball pockets' but at least it looks a bit like a Snooker Table........Made using two woods Lime and Walnut for some contrast. The playing surface is some 'Flock Paper' from that wonderful model supplier I keep banging on about.........4D Modelshop........ The Cues are dowel with metal ends and the balls are pin heads (Just a tiny bit under scale).......I should have done a tutorial but I'm sure you get the gist!

I forgot to mention the walnut benches!

GL094s.jpg

GL095s.jpg

Great tufting on the benches. I don't know how my son immediately knew that was a snooker table, can't think of anytime he would have actually seen one. 

3 hours ago, Sable said:

Sorry, as much as I would like to, I can't take credit for Mike's work.

OOPS:doh::doh:  I misread who posted the pictures.  But Sable you do awesome work.  

Mike - sorry about that.  Your work as I have said before is awesome.  I wish I had the talent that a lot of you have.

Another excellent batch of eye candy! Mike, you brought to mind an incident where my dad's cousin had gone to the UK. I still laugh every time I think about it! She was in a pub, having a drink, when this guy comes up to her and asks "Have you ever been snookered?" Well, she was aghast, and practically whaled on him! She didn't know what he really meant...can't say I blame him. She has the nicest strawberry blond hair and blue eyes, with that pale Irish skin.

OK, so I am still twiddling my thumbs waiting for my painted bricks to dry.....after 4 days!  So this morning I checked out the tube of titanium white paint I used (an old one that I found in my paint stash and decided to use up first) only to discover that it was OIL paint!!  ARGH!! :dunce:   So now what?  What do I do to encourage oil paint to DRY!!??    And you can forget about suggesting putting it outside in the sun....because this is Day 15 of rain here!

Back when I painted with oils (last time was nearly 50 years ago) I mixed in a bit of turps to speed the drying time.  I usually figured on a month or so for the oil paint to thoroughly dry, though.

3 hours ago, jbnmini said:

OK, so I am still twiddling my thumbs waiting for my painted bricks to dry.....after 4 days!  So this morning I checked out the tube of titanium white paint I used (an old one that I found in my paint stash and decided to use up first) only to discover that it was OIL paint!!  ARGH!! :dunce:   So now what?  What do I do to encourage oil paint to DRY!!??    And you can forget about suggesting putting it outside in the sun....because this is Day 15 of rain here!

When you first posted about the slow drying time I thought maybe you had accidentally used oil paint. "Nawww," I sez to me, "she'd have known the difference." I suggest you focus on some other aspect of the build, like making furniture, or work on something else entirely. Now that it's in place, there's no hurrying the drying. As Holly says, it could take several weeks, or even months if the paint is thick. And if it does get dry to a light touch, still don't mess with it. Oil paint dries with a skin on it and then slowly dries out (cures) underneath the surface. Encouraging it to dry by adding heat isn't going to help much. If it dries too quickly, the surface may craze or crackle.

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Back when I painted with oils (last time was nearly 50 years ago) I mixed in a bit of turps to speed the drying time.  I usually figured on a month or so for the oil paint to thoroughly dry, though.

a MONTH!?  Holy crap! :eek:  OK- Imma go down right now and throw that dang tube AWAY!! 

And then Imma go do some prayin' for sunshine so I can go outside to do the last bit of staining needed to finish my farmhouse!! 

...and if that doesn't work, then I'm gonna take Kathie's advice and start the demo on my next rehab house!!   :/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jbnmini said:

a MONTH!?  Holy crap! :eek:  OK- Imma go down right now and throw that dang tube AWAY!! 

And then Imma go do some prayin' for sunshine so I can go outside to do the last bit of staining needed to finish my farmhouse!! 

...and if that doesn't work, then I'm gonna take Kathie's advice and start the demo on my next rehab house!!   :/

Praying for sunshine will help. When I use oils for decorative painting, I only do it outdoors in the sunshine. The oils do dry much faster that way than inside or on a cloudy day, but they are still much slower than acrylics.

Just chalk it up to experience, and work on something else while it dries. I'm sorry for your pain, because I know I'd be bummed too if I did that.