What's everyone working on?

Between the three gorgeous unfinished fireplaces that Chris made & gave me yesterday, and the goodies I found at thrift stores on our way home, I went out to the shop this AM between showers.  Since I was there, I painted the last piece of bathroom baseboard and installed the three pieces that were dry, and installed the bathroom wall (it's actually a two-piece job, the divider wall to separate the kitchen and the hinged front wall containing the bathroom door).  found two more parts of the carcase and began painting them.  I took less than half an hour for the heat to drive me back into the house, even with the fan going.  It has rained a couple of times sine then, so by now it's a steam bath outside.

• Like 1

Going out to see the grandchildren on Friday. I finished the Realife Victorian bedroom for my granddaughter and redid a HOM sofa and bed for one of the grandsons. I had to make them more boyish!

They didn't have enough room to bring my granddaughter's Orchid back with them, so we'll be bringing it out for her.

She informed me last night that she decorated one of the rooms in her San Fran as a Japanese room. She didn't send me pictures, because she wants to surprise me. I'm so glad they were all bitten by the mini bug!

• Like 1

When we met for lunch last Monday, Holly gave me some punch-out, lock-together houses in some indeterminate small scale. I have to admit, the scraps sheets left when the house bits were punched out excited me more than the houses. The top story of the oriental house lifts off. I may glue this one, fill gaps and slots with Spackle to smooth the surface, and paint it. I'm thinking that without the top portion, it may make a nice little container for an air plant.

See a preview in my blog.  

I made a 1:24 scale wooden basket from some hobby shop wood trim and this morning a bucket from a piece of dowel or chopstick, not sure which. I was trying to work on a 1:24 basket, but it wasn't going well, so I switched to trying to make a bucket instead. I drilled out the end of the dowel, then drilled holes for a rope handle which was made from some thin cotton yarn or string I found in a kitchen drawer. 

basket and bucket.JPG

Kathie, I think those little Oriental puzzle houses were supposed to be 1:48. I also liked them for functional containers, but couldn't get them to speak to me.  I can't wait to wee what you do with the punch outs.

2 hours ago, Sable said:

I only wish that I could have used a subway pattern but this marble is just too hard to cut safely. 

I'm in awe that you can cut it to scale so consistently!

38 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I'm in awe that you can cut it to scale so consistently!

You are giving me too much credit. These are precut mosaics on 12x12 sheets at HD. I just soaked them in xylene until they fell off the fiberglass backing (a nasty job requiring rubber gloves, a mask and a big bucket outside). The main hassle was I only wanted the shiney ones so 60% of each sheet is in a box waiting for another project. i used full sheets on the base of the house. See attached:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=120359

30 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

We had little glass tiles put in our bathroom conversion in our old house; It looks like your stone tiles are lots thinner!

That's the smoke and mirrors part. They are actually about 1/4" thick but hidden by the trim.

What a lovely bathtub, Sable! Have you though about maybe getting the RGT Montclair front porch, the one with the columns and curved steps to put in front of it, so the little people can step up to the tub? I'm dying to do that with a tub some day.

Lisa and I spend 4 hours priming Bramble this morning. I got bored with it very quickly. Lisa said we were painting until we ran out of paint. I offered to dump it out. Lisa was not amused. We did eventually run out of paint, but the house is 99.9% done. I just have to put some spackle on, do some light sanding, and then touch up over the spackle. For that I'll buy a quart of paint in ivory or something, so I can use it to paint the siding, too.

You know, it occurs to me that my house is still a fairly large house, even though it's really only 5 rooms (well, 6, if you count the dressing room and 8 if you count the third floor). The house looks small, but I have some really large rooms in it, which is what I wanted. And it took the two of us to carry it out and carry it back into my room.

And there were compensations to the day. I found myself happily painting along, my face over the open can of paint. So if I'm a little happy posting here, there's a reason. :D

Just now, Soapz said:

The things I do in my workshop.....

Worksho.png

Uh huh... I just had to order a new Xacto knife because in spite of my constant cleaning and organizing and always putting everything back it it's place I cannot find that sucker to save my life! And as soon as my new 3 pack shows up, I will, of course, find it!

31 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Uh huh... I just had to order a new Xacto knife because in spite of my constant cleaning and organizing and always putting everything back it it's place I cannot find that sucker to save my life! And as soon as my new 3 pack shows up, I will, of course, find it!

I misplaced the clear plastic ruler that I use all the time. I bought a replacement last week, but still haven't found the first one. Since it is clear, it is probably hiding in plain site, lol.

OMG, I thought I was the only one. I just couldn't figure out how I could put a pencil down beside me and then have to get up and shake the blankets out to find it again (if it hadn't fallen off the bed and rolled under a bookcase somewhere). I swear things I just used and laid down disappear into a mini black hole somewhere and then pop out the other side when they feel like it.

I have spent the better part of 4 hours trying to load pictures in a new album in the Gallery. Shoot. Me. Now.

I FINALLY got that done, and then I decided to poke around my perfectly working activity stream and totally screwed that up, and now that's not working the way it was before. I think I'm gonna take two aspirin and go back to bed. Call me in the morning.

That marble tile is amazing!

My family is gone!  My daughter took over my workspace to do up her PTA stuff, so I spent much of today cleaning up.  Found lots of stuff I'd been looking for ...

after that I repaired to broken wiring on the bakery.  I'm a bit suspicious of how "broken" can be a clean cut .... But I'm gonna drop it and remind myself that when one of my husbands certain relatives comes to visit, lock up the work room.  We already bought a roll top desk that locks for bills, paperwork and such.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodentraiser said:

OMG, I thought I was the only one. I just couldn't figure out how I could put a pencil down beside me and then have to get up and shake the blankets out to find it again (if it hadn't fallen off the bed and rolled under a bookcase somewhere). I swear things I just used and laid down disappear into a mini black hole somewhere and then pop out the other side when they feel like it.

I have spent the better part of 4 hours trying to load pictures in a new album in the Gallery. Shoot. Me. Now.

I FINALLY got that done, and then I decided to poke around my perfectly working activity stream and totally screwed that up, and now that's not working the way it was before. I think I'm gonna take two aspirin and go back to bed. Call me in the morning.

Do you think it's the future inhabitants of the houses?  I'm beginning to think so, lol!

I don't think it's any future inhabitants, unless they're ghosts. I think it's this forum combined with someone (I have no idea who :angel:)  who has no patience for a learning curve.

But that gives me an idea. Wouldn't it be neat if someone made a haunted house and had a couple of (Jay and Grant) ghost hunters holding an EMF detector and being followed by a ghost while another one peeks around the corner?

• Like 1