What's everyone working on?

Painting on house numbers on the transom window for the Brownstone. Was out in the shop earlier doing another 4x7 section of PaperClay brick on the back of the Brownstone... As I have that on the floor to reach it more easily I'm only doing one section at a time on that or my back starts to kill me! Last but not least I also have managed to do a light grey coat of paint on what will be the ceilings of the MacKenzie Childs inspired house -- hoping once that's dry I'll be able to go out and add some fun 3-D effects to the ceilings to really make them POP!

1 hour ago, minikelli said:

Painting on house numbers on the transom window for the Brownstone. Was out in the shop earlier doing another 4x7 section of PaperClay brick on the back of the Brownstone... As I have that on the floor to reach it more easily I'm only doing one section at a time on that or my back starts to kill me! Last but not least I also have managed to do a light grey coat of paint on what will be the ceilings of the MacKenzie Childs inspired house -- hoping once that's dry I'll be able to go out and add some fun 3-D effects to the ceilings to really make them POP!

Kelli, when I first got started building dhs, DH built me a short workbench base.  With an old tabletop on it, it's not quite waist-high, so I can work on my houses without killing my back.  I use my regular standard height workbench for making furniture and working on trims and components, and I have a swivel stool for projects I need to work on sitting down.

• Like 1

Nice DH! For the most part I've been able to put together my dollhouses without issue on the benches I do have, just the matter applying the clay -- felt more comfortable with it off the bench to lean over and detail it. Just can't do it for long or I will regret it. lol

I've done quite a few things on the ryokan over the last week or so, I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

This morning I ordered a bunch of LED and battery stuff so I can do more wiring. I also ordered some fiber optic stuff to play around with I'm not sure what I am going to use it for yet, but I've got lots of ideas.

This is a photo of some ikebana I tried. The vases are beads.

large.57e5d3c0f187c_ikebana1.jpg.d25bccc

• Like 2

I spent the last three days working on a new front door for my Orchid, adapting this tutorial from Minis by Kris to fit the size and style I wanted. Had to make a second jamb when I realized how thick the door I made was going to be, but I can always use the original one for another door. I found out about the tutorial here in the forum, so thanks to all who've mentioned it! It didn't take 3 full days, of course, but there was a lot of time between steps waiting for glue and paint to dry, and I'd wander off and get involved in other things for long periods. 

I also cut new windows for the house from plexiglass. For the front door window, I made "leading" by going over 1/16" drafting tape with a silver sharpie (I just laid pieces down on wax paper and colored them with the marker, then let them dry) and applying the tape to both sides of the plexiglass. I borrowed an idea from Linda (thank you!!) and coated both sides of the now-leaded plexiglass in clear nail polish, stippling it with the brush, to get a frosted look. It protects the tape and helps hold it on. I'll try to get some pictures up later, if only so I remember what I did.

I'm going to have to take a building break for a couple days here and help make Halloween costumes for my niece and nephew. The nephew, who's 5, wants to be "Captain John Deere," a superhero of his own invention, so my mom and I are putting together a yellow and green cape with some kind of logo. The niece is 1 and she's going to be Wonder Woman. Luckily, there's a pattern for that; it'll be niece to just do something by the book for once. ;)

• Like 1

Mary, me? I did that kind of technique for my Orchid and was really happy with it! Glad someone else found the tips useful. I'm pretty sure I copied it from the former Glorious Twelfth blog. Can't wait to see your house all finished!

It's been a busy (non-mini) week for me, so nothing new, but I hope to do more scraping and gluing and fixing to the yellow house tomorrow. I have a feeling that if our weather ever cools down for fall, that I'll have a short window of time to get spray painting done, so I'm trying to have the exterior ready for primer, plus I need to do some prep on a whole lot of little bits for the barn. I want to be completely ready when the weather turns! The craft room is a bit of a disaster area right now, too, so I should at least tidy up.

Bought a new book yesterday! The Big Book of a Miniature House. All sorts of ideas for period/French décor, and it gives me a lot of new thought for the yellow house. I wasn't planning for it to look quite like that, but my wheels are already spinning. Her floors in that book are just delightful, and look easy (and cheap) enough to do. Many of the rooms in that yellow house are bigger than a standard flooring sheet, and the thought of having to buy, cut and seam multiple $18 sheets was bothering me. One of the other things she does in almost every room in that book is add trims to the walls and build up around the windows and doors. It's one of the things that I've noticed on a lot of the work that I admire, and one of the things that I think adds so much realism to other people's builds. Real houses don't just have a single strip of wood around the door, so adding all of those layers and bits and dimension in miniature really makes it look like a full scale feature.   

47 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

Bought a new book yesterday! The Big Book of a Miniature House. All sorts of ideas for period/French décor, and it gives me a lot of new thought for the yellow house. I wasn't planning for it to look quite like that, but my wheels are already spinning. Her floors in that book are just delightful, and look easy (and cheap) enough to do. Many of the rooms in that yellow house are bigger than a standard flooring sheet, and the thought of having to buy, cut and seam multiple $18 sheets was bothering me. One of the other things she does in almost every room in that book is add trims to the walls and build up around the windows and doors. It's one of the things that I've noticed on a lot of the work that I admire, and one of the things that I think adds so much realism to other people's builds. Real houses don't just have a single strip of wood around the door, so adding all of those layers and bits and dimension in miniature really makes it look like a full scale feature.   

I bought that book about a month ago. It's one of my favorites of all my books because it has so many neat ideas! I highly recommend it to anyone who loves period houses, although the ideas in it could be adapted to many different styles. I got mine at Hobby Lobby for 40% off, when we were out visiting the grandchildren.

I had to put it away though, because it made me want to scratch build a new house, and I need to finish the ryokan first!!!

For those of us who like the convenience of shopping at home (not to mention keeping away from the crazy people and the borg), it's available on Amazon with free Prime shipping for $23.80. Hobby Lobby is only $21 with the 40% coupon, but a lot of states have sales tax on top of that. I just ordered my copy - it looks like a fun and informative read!

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Miniature-House-decorate/dp/1861089546/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474768361&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Big+Book+of+a+Miniature+House

PS - Kathi - I am excited for you to start work on the ryokan again! Please post pictures!

• Like 1

That's an awesome book! I just ordered it from our library and when Lisa saw it, she also got a copy. In fact, this is the book that convinced me to turn the Glencroft into a French country cottage.

And that is what I was working on today. I have both walls done to make a center hall on both floors and I cut out the door opening for the 2nd bedroom. Tomorrow if I feel up to it, I'll try to cut an arch into the kitchen doorway and make the stairwell opening.

I just went to start a new album. EECH! Why is something that should be so simple so difficult? OK, does anyone know how to reorder the photos so someone looking at the pictures can follow along from #1 to #5 in the order the house was made instead of having the pictures jump all over the place? I may just start referring people to my photobucket account.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

For those of us who like the convenience of shopping at home (not to mention keeping away from the crazy people and the borg), it's available on Amazon with free Prime shipping for $23.80. Hobby Lobby is only $21 with the 40% coupon, but a lot of states have sales tax on top of that. I just ordered my copy - it looks like a fun and informative read!

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Miniature-House-decorate/dp/1861089546/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474768361&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Big+Book+of+a+Miniature+House

PS - Kathi - I am excited for you to start work on the ryokan again! Please post pictures!

It is very fun and informative, I love mine, it has so many neat ideas and instructions!

I have been working on the ryokan for a few weeks now, my blog is in my signature. :-) I just added you to my blog list so I'll see all your new posts now. I need to add more blogs. I've been lazy!

Just now, kathi17 said:

It is very fun and informative, I love mine, it has so many neat ideas and instructions!

I have been working on the ryokan for a few weeks now, my blog is in my signature. :-) I just added you to my blog list so I'll see all your new posts now. I need to add more blogs. I've been lazy!

Awesome! I just added you to mine, too and will enjoy catching up on your progress!!

• Like 1

Kathi, I tried to comment on your pic in the album, but for some reason, I couldn't. Anyway, didn't realize that the ryokan was 1:20 scale. You must have patience and good eyesight to make those tiny flowers!

Well, it looks like we're all going French! I really did plan to keep the yellow house fast and easy...clean and repair, paint, wallpaper, some quick flooring, then put all of the furniture back in and ta-da!  You know that is NOT what's going to happen. The more books and blogs I look at, the more the wheels are turning. Whitewashed floors, whitewashed wallpaper, parquet, planked ceilings, beams, custom lighting....oh dear.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stickyfingers said:

The more books and blogs I look at, the more the wheels are turning. Whitewashed floors, whitewashed wallpaper, parquet, planked ceilings, beams, custom lighting....oh dear.   

I hear you ... sometimes the images can overload the part of your brain that houses imagination and creativity, and you can almost hear the practical part of your brain moaning in anguish. :D 

The bedroom in the lighthouse is now officiellt declared Done, next on the list is minor changes in the bathroom. Will need to replacinf the bathtowel and add a matchin handtowel and then it too will be Done. 

large.image.jpg.6b87b5c173422d0c9c8b307e

• Like 3

1 minute ago, havanaholly said:

OMG, Anna!  That is just so beautiful & dainty.  You know that lighthouse keeper's wife is a good manager.

:hmm: What makes you think the decor reflects the taste of the wife? Just sayin' ... :D 

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Because some of the lighthouse keepers' homes I've seen restored were also very lovely that way, and the docents pointed out that was the wife's touch.

lol ... Looks like some of the docents missed the gender sensitivity training. [I'm being wry here --- it doesn't come across well in the printed word.] My point being, the male lighthouse keeper may have a way with decor, too. Now, if the keeper were a woman ... but I I think this unrelated topic should be put to rest. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Kathi, I tried to comment on your pic in the album, but for some reason, I couldn't. Anyway, didn't realize that the ryokan was 1:20 scale. You must have patience and good eyesight to make those tiny flowers!

Well, it looks like we're all going French! I really did plan to keep the yellow house fast and easy...clean and repair, paint, wallpaper, some quick flooring, then put all of the furniture back in and ta-da!  You know that is NOT what's going to happen. The more books and blogs I look at, the more the wheels are turning. Whitewashed floors, whitewashed wallpaper, parquet, planked ceilings, beams, custom lighting....oh dear.   

I have problems if I'm the first one to comment in an album too. It usually helps to reload the page and try again.

Your yellow house is really cute and different, and all those goodies you got with it are really wonderful! I think your ideas for it sound beautiful!

It was sunny and way too warm to pull the blinds up and work on the house today but at about 6:30, the sun went down and I got in about a half hour before it started to get dark. All I really did was cut the stairwell and put the back on the staircase.

You guys who have put the Glencroft together know that to the right of the front door, there's an enclosed space there. I thought I could open up the wall on the inside and make a little bookshelf out of it, but I forgot when I was putting the house together. Then just a  few minutes ago, I had a wonderful idea. I'll make a small opening on the outside, box it in, and then on the inside, I'll put a little door there. And that will be the mailbox. The mailman can put the letters in the little alcove I'm going to make and the little people can open the door on the inside of the wall and get their mail without having to open the door or go outside.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

The mailman can put the letters in the little alcove I'm going to make and the little people can open the door on the inside of the wall and get their mail without having to open the door or go outside.

Clever you!

Third side of the yellow house exterior is cleaned and repaired and ready for primer! Worked on the front...oy! Started making repairs, which I suspect will take a few weeks in between work and letting things dry. I took out that fireplace wall and cut one of the new stringers. I don't really know what I'm doing with that, just eyeballed it so it was level and ended it at the second floor. And every time I think I'm done with some things on the interior, I find some other issue. Going to widen some doorways, too. I forgot that I had a whole tub of shingles that I bought a while back, so at least I don't have to buy those.

Hobby Lobby has minis on sale again, so making a trip today to pick up more trims.  

• Like 1

I managed to finish up my three projects in time for the state fair. The doll (my first one ever) got blue/1st, the screened porch got a red/2nd, and the 1:48 scale castle got a white. Yay!
Then I was on to completing my swap items for Nebraska State Day, which was September 17th. Mom and I each took swap items and had a blast again this year. I made a wall-hung shelving unit that spells out 'LOVE' and Mom made agate-topped tables on sculpey bases. You can see a pic of both our items in Blondie's post here (scroll waaay down to the 20th pic; the shelf is pretty obvious) We're both working on our projects from that weekend and have already figured out what we're going to do for the swap next year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LadyGunn said:

I managed to finish up my three projects in time for the state fair. The doll (my first one ever) got blue/1st, the screened porch got a red/2nd, and the 1:48 scale castle got a white. Yay!

Congratulations! What wonderful validation for your skills and artistry. I love it when an artist is recognized in her own time.

• Like 1