What's everyone working on?

1 hour ago, otterine said:

My entry in the HBS Creatin' Contest is done and submitted.  I have a gallery here and a full recap on my blog.

Brae, it's lovely. What a great setting for all of your feathered and furry friends! You manage to evoke a spirit in your builds that transcends wood and paint. When you posted the photo of the empty display window, I caught a sense of a funeral parlor -- a strong hint of a taxidermist, for sure! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, otterine said:

My entry in the HBS Creatin' Contest is done and submitted.  I have a gallery here and a full recap on my blog.

Brea, Roland's been taxidermied?

It's another fabulous example of your immense creativity.  "Mouse to Mastodon".  So different and unexpected. Good luck to you!

Edit: I just read your comment-"No animals were harmed in the making of this build." Whew!

• Like 1

Just got done cutting a bazillion planks for a new build. Oy! The interior is planked floor to ceiling, so there's going to be a lot of gluing and staining coming up. Thankfully, it's all one room! I've done the dry fit and painted all of the interior black, so next step is get gluing!

Got everything set up to finish Granddaughter's house - the Lisa's Cottage - and discovered that the pieces I had carefully set aside for the porch posts are the wrong ones! I bought two of these kits, and had started one, and these pieces are the base to the second house!. Now I have no idea where the real posts are!  Tomorrow I'll start rummaging through my stash, and perhaps will just get some round dowels to make the posts. Looks like it might take a bit of bashing to get this house finished up!  Working with a hyperactive 11-yr-old, with the attention span of a mosquito, was a bit challenging!  I see we left out all the rafters, also!  Oh, well, the roof looks strong enough without them! :construction:

I just started an account with Instagram (CheckMouseMinis) so while am learning how that works, I decided to practice by posting pictures of the rest of the build.  My granddaughter has a HUGE Instagram following (of course she does!) and she immediately started "following" me. So she can now share all the pictures of her house with her friends.  

I guess if we stop learning, we stop living!  :pokerface:

5 hours ago, CheckMouse said:

...I just started an account with Instagram (CheckMouseMinis) ...I guess if we stop learning, we stop living!  :pokerface:

I don't think skipping Instagram or other social media will kill me; I still have lots of learning to do about the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

I don't think skipping Instagram or other social media will kill me; I still have lots of learning to do about the world.

Holly, the Greenleaf Forum is a perfect example of Social Media. You just can't escape it, today.

Funny how something different and good happens when you go to change/fix something. I wanted textured ceilings in my French Country Manor, had some Lomax powder and added to paint. I rolled it on, at least 2 coats - all ceilings. Not overly fond of the results, so I resigned myself to sanding them and applying ceiling paper. Now that I've sanded them, the finish is very nice! I may not have to paper them after all. I want to get a good look at it again tomorrow in the early daylight, just to see if I'm still happy with it. I could add one more coat of plain rolled paint to finish them off if necessary.

I realized I still needed more tape runs so got going on that, when both of my eyelet punch tools tips busted. I'm waiting on both more tapewire and the replacement tip. Meanwhile, I tried my very first illustration board wall template today. These are for the arched doorways, covering up the wiring from the exterior coach lights. Hope this goes as nicely as the video I saw.

My plan is to finish tapewire in the next week and get the fireplace/electrical all worked out so that I can start papering.  I've had such a hard time making decisions on paper for this house. I had some general ideas, but making final choices has been hard for some reason. I think I've been overthinking it too much, and need to just do it, see how it looks.

I've just gotten a new job, one that I'm really excited about, and my last day at the old place was last Friday. I don't start the new gig until Jan 9 so I'm taking advantage of my time off to get back to mini's.  

I chose my colors tonight for the Model Homes Cape May!  I am about to start putting the walls together.  I am really liking the system this kit uses of corner posts and clapboard assembly.  Too bad the company is out of business.

2016-12-20 22.38.44.jpg

Matt, I also like the Dura-Craft corner post assembly, in spite of all the issues with getting everything plumb & gapless.  I have a Newberg NIB we got from HBS as Dura-Craft was going out of business that I'm keeping fingers crossed is all there and intact when I finally get to it.

what wonderful eyecandy to come home too....the day we left for our trip my stuff from HBS came...finally decided what I wanted to get. the main item was the room/door dividers for between the parlour and the glass room...and lil blue odds and ends...

looking forward to the new year and all the MINI projects on my to do list....:construction:

I got one item for the Queen in Cozumel....some guy was painting tiles with oil and his fingers and he decided he must make me a sample which will be perfect in my Queen....my shopping during the trip was rushed and I am less then pleased at my stuffs lol...but it is what it is.

Not a happy camper! :bomb:   When granddaughter and I were working on her dh, I couldn't find my blue painter's tape to mask off the various areas for painting. The inside walls are one color, the outside another, and small impatient hands needed guidance. So I masked off the window frames with the old-fashioned white masking tape.  I don't know if it was the tape itself, or the time involved. I just put the house away when she left in July - and now it is December - so the tape has been on the wood for 5 months.  And it does not want to come off!  I have been easing it up with an Exacto knife and gently pulling it with tweezers to get it off. Some of the paint is damaged and will be a beast to repair because the house is all put together now. The inside of the sills are now sticky, but that doesn't matter because I'm ready to glue the windows in. Getting the sticky off the walls will be another matter!  

Has anyone else had this problem with white masking tape?

Yes. Regular masking tape tends to stick tenaciously if left for any length of time, until it dries so much that the paper backing falls away, leaving just the petrified stickum behind. I tend to use drafting tape or painter's tape over masking tape for that reason. You might try finding some Goo Be gone to remove the residue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Yes. Regular masking tape tends to stick tenaciously if left for any length of time, until it dries so much that the paper backing falls away, leaving just the petrified stickum behind. I tend to use drafting tape or painter's tape over masking tape for that reason. You might try finding some Goo Be gone to remove the residue.

I guess it's the time factor that made the mess!  Sable - it is sort of beige, or off-white. I just call it "white" as compared to the blue painters tape that I prefer.  LESSON LEARNED!  I do have some Goo Be Gone, so I'll try that on the painted surface. At least most of the tape was on the inside of the window holes.  

Thanks for the feedback, Ladies.  :) 

I missed a bit of the blue painter's tape in my pub until months later when I noticed it in one of the pub's pictures.  As Kathie noted, none of the residual stickum problem after removal.

Matt, I see you posted new pictures; I guess you haven't marked them "public", or else our 'puter is in a bad way, because all that shows is big gray boxes.

I spent a few hours adding more tapewire and then rewiring the coach lights, breaking some, and feeling frustrated. I decided to shorten the wire length that came from the hole to the eyelets, and in doing so, caused a bigger mess. Me and coach lights have a love hate relationship. Gonna have to pony up for 2 more replacements, after I bent them beyond use. :(

On a more positive note, I started papering the French Country kitchen, and love it! But my Yes glue must be old, its much harder than I remember it...I will need to buy more. I also located a fabulous World Model embossed panel for wainscoting. 

1184ff1da93fe9d8c729cc33b8985181.image.5

This will go below a Brodnax paper - I think it looks stunning. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, miniaddicted said:

I spent a few hours adding more tapewire and ...

Oh, Lord. I need to wake up this morning. I started reading the above post and I thought you said, "I need to add more tapeworm..." :eek:

On second thought, maybe I'll just go back to bed.

• Like 2