What's everyone working on?

2 hours ago, Anna said:

Wondering if anyone here has Painted a  chandelier base with a good outcome?

Anna I have painted several light fixtures both in spray paint and with fingernail polish. In both cases, I taped off the glass/bulb areas with blue masking tape. In both cases, be very patient. Apply several light coats letting them dry for several hours in between. The spray paint was the absolute best result, but I could not use it last December on my daughter's Christmas present because it was too cold. I used the nail polish instead and got a good result, though it did go on thicker in order to cover the shiny brass and some slight detail was lost. Good luck with whatever you choose and let us know how it goes!

• Like 1

@AnnaI have also hand painted & spray painted light fittings... Spray paint by far gives the best finish. To prep I removed the bulbs and taped over the fitting and anything else I didn't want to paint and then hung them by their wire to a tree branch in the yard and sprayed away. You will need to be fairly close to the fixture but not too close. Also several thin coats work better than just spraying one thick coat... you will get bubbling and potentially runs in the paint.

Well, HBS has these - these are non-working:

http://www.miniatures.com/Vega-Chandelier-P25452.aspx

http://www.miniatures.com/Osiris-Chandelier-P25021.aspx

http://www.miniatures.com/Presidents-Chandelier-P25020.aspx

I also found this one by J. Getzan, but it's $220 - that's a bit much:

http://www.jgetzan.com/Scarlett.html

This one is battery powered, but it's pretty:

https://www.tomthumbs.com.au/store/BATTERY+Powered+Lights/6+Arm+Rose+Flower+White+Ceiling+LE-LED

In fact, these guys have some nice lights at a fairly low cost. The only problem is they're located in Australia and they showed a definite reluctance to ship to the US because of the shipping charge. If you want something from them, I suggest you call first and find out what shipping is and let them know for sure if you are willing to pay for it. With me, they didn't even ask. They just refunded my money.

Anyway, I still think I found a cheaper white chandelier once, so I'll look around and if I see it again, I'll PM you.

• Like 1

As an Aussie, I can tell you that shipping rates to and from Europe to Australia are cheaper than the US. I think it is because there are more Airlines that fly that way so the freight costs are cheaper for the Postage service and they pass that saving on.

Oh, I found this also - this is a picture from someone on Etsy who says she just puts beads together and paints them. I don't know why that wouldn't work for a chandelier made of beads - not that the candles aren't gorgeous themselves:

503d334b91fa8e81e86966f9ef3b04da.jpg.f18

Well, dang. I know what I'll be working on. I installed the shower in the Arthur and forgot to put a drain in it. Since the shower is facing backwards, I now have to install the drain over the back wall. Isn't that going to be fun! :glare:

• Like 2

Kelly, those candlesticks are beautiful! I actually found that Aztec has a white Chandelier, might be able to get one there, need to activate the Idea of a small mini shop over here first though. It is a Longo time project so we'll see....

otherwise I just might have to dive into the doing myself part, or altering something I have around., we'll see.

since I am still at home with this blasted infection, I am doing a little progress with the flooring for the Steampunk build, (I also found a walnut Americana gel stain online which is on its way to me) and this is some progress. we decided that the base couldn't be stark white if it would show through a crack so I went scouting amongst the paint bottles and when I found the one saying Mississippi Mud that was the one. so as it seems, the Steampunk house is located in the Mississippi area, huh?!? 

Will stain and put it together slowly over the coming days I Hope and share when it is Done. 

large.IMG_0300.JPG.2b6533363abea36d87ad1

Then it Will be finalizing the exterior features to, those I have a clear picture of, the interior, not so much.

Hugs

• Like 3

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Anna, I love your vision for the foundation.

Thank you, sitting in front of this is so relaxing, even though rattling cough is interrupting at Times, but still gives My mind something to see evolving one piece at a time.

hugs

• Like 1

Everyone's work is looking so wonderful.  It makes my day to come and read about all the fun you guys are having.  RL just isn't willing to spare me more than a couple minutes these days. The last time I touched one of my WIPs was to move it to the top of a cabinet for Christmas storage :D So I know it will come as no surprise to any of you that yet another kit called to me from ebay, "I'm a ridiculously good price! You've always wanted to build a shop of some kind. Just bid on me, you probably won't win."  Surprise, surprise I did win! The Houseworks Corner Shop for $40 with free shipping?!  Now I just have to make room in the stash, organize my supplies again, move RL furniture to make room for 1/12 scale building.... no wonder my family thinks I'm crazy.

• Like 4

Sarah, I like your way of thinking! A shop is something one cand do things for in 15minute intervalls. i mean a seeing shop takes lovads of volts of fabrics etc etc

Been doing some more progress with the plank flooring, stained and glued down a few more pieces. Now I am awaiting the Americana gel stain to see how to proceed with what Will be which colour. Meanwhile I Think it is time for a nap, so tired of this cough-cold-fever feeling....

hugs

12 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Anna, I love your vision for the foundation.

So do I!

Sarah, that was an excellent buy for that shop. I never seem to see them under $100.

Well, last night I cut ceiling molding and baseboard for the shadowbox. I'd forgotten the walls were still slightly warped. So all I've got to say about that is, when I buy the stain and varnish for them, I'll probably also have to buy the spackle that goes with wood stain as well. Funny, the ceiling molding was easier to cut and fits better than the baseboard. Go figure.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017, 4:15:25, Roxxie2 said:

I'm still plugging away at my Fairfield.    I have never chopped off, shaved, sanded, rearranged so many pieces of a dollhouse in my life!   Don't even ask me about the second floor pieces!!!:doh:    Anyway,  I am making progress of sorts with all the alterations and modifications.   Don't laugh but I would like to build another one if and when I get this one together.  Then I can say I used this one as a learning experience!  

I was wondering if New England Miniatures is still online somewhere?    I want to do a colonial half scale next and am wondering where I can find colonial furniture.  
Grazhina if you are in here please let me know!!!  ( Did I spell that right?) 

Sadly, New England Miniatures is no longer in business, though Grazhina kindly left her links for us so that we can all use her amazing collection/library of historical inspiration. I love her blog. http://newenglandminiatures.blogspot.com/

I loved her shop, too - she selected good stuff.

Update from the future: She is on ebay!!!!!!!!! http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=40289#comment-644959

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Tonight I did my first freehand painting on the exterior of my cantina.   Picture on pinterest.   My granddaughter drew the stencil for the cactus for me when they were visiting. 

Man, you have a lot of stuff on your Pinterest! I nearly gave up trying to find the Cantina. Here's a link to one of the photos for anyone who doesn't want to have to slog through piles of really neat photos to find it.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/305118943491783289/

• Like 2

Hi yall!

I have most of the little roombox finished....now working on the printies....

Kathy your new workspace is wonderful! 

today was my niche's day...it got emptied of all items so we could pull the carpet...after that we rearranged the furniture stuffs and he hung 2 of the 5 shelves I have...now to add all the boxes and houses....looking forward to getting back to it!:construction:

• Like 2

Finally posted some pics of the Colonial rehab house....LOL that sounds like it's an addicts half-way house!  Anyway, the house was "finished"....but since she hasn't gotten back to me about picking it up I thought I would just do some paint touch-ups, which turned into some bigger paint touch-ups, which turned into replacing a piece of trim that bugged me....I'm tellin' ya, if she doesn't pick this thing up soon I'm gonna have it ripped apart again to start over!  :doh:  Guess what I need to do is move it upstairs and then quickly transfer the next house in queue onto the workbench before I can repaint anything else!  LOL

• Like 4

Right now, I am working on a Joseph Angel that kind of fell into my lap. And staring guiltily at the box with my Beacon Hill in it. And there's an old FAO Schwartz house here that's looking ignored also (I've had it a year and a half. Um.... I hate rushing into things? )

I'm also working on dollhouse sized books, but ones that are to scale and that you can actually read: because if I ever have a sudden shrinking accident I want M&Ms (which will be giant in a 1:12 scale world. YAAY!) and reading material. :)

If I could just learn to quit sleeping I would get so much more DONE! :)

• Like 3

Wendy, I know I already said it on FB -- but I can't wait to see what you do with Joseph Angel house!

As for what I've accomplished today... not too much unfortunately, but I did manage to restock up on some of my acrylic paints as all Apple Barrel paints at my most local Wal*Mart(still almost an hour away) were priced at .50. Besides that I managed to cull out a piece of wood from what is our stack of burn wood for the wood stove... I can't tell you all how much it hurt to be burning some beautiful Walnut, but I found a piece of Maple I believe that has a beautiful burl in it! Going to try and cut it and bookmatch it for a floor(wish me luck I'm gonna need it). Otherwise not too much more done in regards to mini-ing, but still working on getting my indoor work space straightened up and more organized. Thinking of building some shelves to put behind where I stand/sit at the desk to store some of my paints and adhesives there to be more at arms reach, but still contemplating that as if I do it'll shock/scare my pup. Hung a clock up on Friday, and she still barks at it as of this Weds... obviously she's not a big fan of change or observance! lol 

• Like 1