What's everyone working on?

omgosh Lawanda I love that house...I also have one...I have built 2 and the next one I build will be for me....cant wait to see what you do to it!

the hubby has finally installed all the shelves in the niche so the time to get serious about moving into the space is now...with all the boxes stacked in ther it is claustrophobic...but Im sure once I get it all organised and put together it will be great.

looking forward to getting back to some of my projects!

• Like 2

Have fun Nutti!! :)

So, omg... This house. If it has one more "challenge", it is going to end up with nice pretty floors and all plain white walls! ARGHHH!!!

Not to go into detail on the latest comical line of events, but here's the short version. Two rooms have been giving me fits finding wallpaper that will fit. I finally found a combination and solution that I am very happy with. One involves striped wallpaper. Was dry fitting for final measuring, and realized one the dividing walls was put in crooked (I bought this pre-built). To the tune of 1/8". That's noticeable with stripes. Ugh. So now to rethink this again, I think I am on Plan D for this area now. :(

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Have fun Nutti!! :)

So, omg... This house. If it has one more "challenge", it is going to end up with nice pretty floors and all plain white walls! ARGHHH!!!

Not to go into detail on the latest comical line of events, but here's the short version. Two rooms have been giving me fits finding wallpaper that will fit. I finally found a combination and solution that I am very happy with. One involves striped wallpaper. Was dry fitting for final measuring, and realized one the dividing walls was put in crooked (I bought this pre-built). To the tune of 1/8". That's noticeable with stripes. Ugh. So now to rethink this again, I think I am on Plan D for this area now. :(

You are not alone this week on the dollhouse challenges! I am coping right now by not working on it and doing some online window shopping instead...

• Like 1

I just wanted to pop in to say Im alive and hope to be back at miniaturing next week! We've been traveling on the weekends for the past couple weeks and then Comic Con took over so it's all wigs all the time in my house right now lol. So much work for one day at comic con! Maya and I have 4 costumes between the two of us. Oof!

ive been stopping in and reading when I can just not posting much. I am loving what everyone is doing!

Note to self: When cutting dura craft posts..do yourself a favor and cut to fit, do not blindly, trustingly cut to dura crafts measurements. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I knew this once but had forgotten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

Note to self: When cutting dura craft posts..do yourself a favor and cut to fit, do not blindly, trustingly cut to dura crafts measurements. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I knew this once but had forgotten.

Thank you for the reminder, as I still have a Newburg in its box, waiting its turn.

• Like 1

Good to know, as I've a number of DuraCrafts in my stash of kits to be built including the Marquam Hill Mansion. Over the last few days I've been fighting to get the World & Model tile paper off the walls in the kitchen of my Plum Pudding, still not certain what I'm going to use there instead -- but I just didn't like the tile paper in there! So while I have the house currently flipped upside down to strip that paper out easier I've managed to get all the paper in the bathroom done. What is a canvas type paper in a very light green for the bottom half of the wall and a blue and green mandala type patterned paper on the top half. I still need to get the trim work and flooring done in there, but then I will finally have two rooms completely done. Have to say though in actuality the last few days this house seems to be flying together in regards to papers and whatnot showing up to work perfectly in different rooms.

In regards to houses out in the shop, I've managed to cut a marbled wallpaper for bathroom flooring for the 1:6 rehab house. I also took advantage of the HBS sale and got the last 5 windows ordered for the house(thankfully got notice they shipped out today). If all continues to go nicely here on the weather front I'll have the exterior finished off here shortly in either being completely re-sided, or major work done to make the milled in siding look decent again. Really leaning towards doing a homemade siding solution, and cutting my own siding strips for it. In other news, after my issues with the brad nailer the other day -- the flooring in the Blueberry Pie Townhome got done and I have one level with napkins now drying as the wallpaper. Have to say, I like how it looks so far and hope to upload pictures here with-in the next day or so if I can get my camera and laptop to work nicely with one another(an on-going battle to say the least!)

So I finally made some progress on wallpapering, yay. Got 2 rooms papered tonight. Made a couple changes on floor choices, so that means cutting more wood strips, but that's pretty easy with my big paper cutter. I got them all measured and marked today. So hoping this will be a very productive weekend!

• Like 1

I've been working on the "hillside" on my San Franciscan's landscaping board. I kind of have to plan it out because the level and pitch of the hill will determine where stone goes on the basement exterior and where it doesn't. It also determines the height of the switchback on the front stairs... currently debating one turn in the stairs or two... and also trying to figure out how to intergrate the second & third (if there is one) flights of stairs into the hillside.. like stones steps coming down with retaining walls on either side. I just don't feel like hillside stairs should stick out from the retaining wall and have wooden railings, but i don't want solid railings either... so this will alleviate the problem & give me more front yard on the high portion of the hill. The stairs would be kind of like this... but mine will likely be painted to look like concrete maybe with a few cracks. :D  And the retaining walls will be an aged concrete look too or possibly brick.. but that feels like it would be a LOT of work.. so may be not.. :rolleyes:

Image result for entrance stairs on a side hill

Image result for stairs set in hillside

I'm calling the inside half done. That could be argued slightly, but I'm still going with that. 4 rooms (out of 8) have floor and at least some wallpaper on the walls. And the two rooms that have caused so much drama are done except a border along the top in one room.

Up next is cutting more wood strips.

Working on floors. Felt a bit intimated at first. Once I got going, I was a lot more confident.  Plan on staining them tomorrow. Just ordered an easy cutter today too.  Have lots of window  and baseboards trim to cut soon. 

IMG_20170419_192219.jpg

Got one section of the front wall bricked and grouted, using my home made polymer clay bricks.  They seem to be working fairly well.  Today went "running around", that's what we do on the weekend.  Ended up in Marion Illinois.  Antique mall....JACKPOT!!!!  Got around 20+  different pieces of furniture.  Sofa, chair, tea cart. Magazine holder, ...and a whole lot more.  50.00 for all of it.  A brass "tub" from goodwill for .50.    All in all a great mini day.  Now back to the brick work.

• Like 1

Today I've managed to use chalk paint for the first time -- painted some corrugated cardboard which I will be using as a beadboard type wainscot in the kitchen, and have finally settled on what paper I will use for the top. Though I came across some milk paint I have that I think color wise would work well also, so that one is getting thought over a bit more. The bathroom tiles have all been lain and glued in, and I will grout them tomorrow. Thankfully after that I'll be able to put my trim work in and have that room done completely! In addition have gotten my paper for the other two areas of the Plum Pudding cut so that I believe they will be installed by the end of tonight. Have all of my trim pieces selected, and will only have two more floors to work on. The kitchen and bathroom floors are definitely going to be the easiest in this house, the living room floor was a lot of cutting -- but I loved the way it turned out. I've got a lot more to work on in regards to cutting and staining of wood tiles, but I believe when I get done that will be the last of those in my stash.

Not much to show for today, it was kind of a fiddly day. Spent a bit of time doing paint touch ups, and putting a second coat of paint on the stairs. Got the living room wallpaper up except for the part to go around the stairs. My first attempt was a fail, so I'll try that again tomorrow. Started trying to cut a template for the bay window floor, but decided to just paint the floor for a base color underneath the floor strips.

Two of the porch posts needed little spheres on top to match the others, but I found some "furniture buttons" which are flatter than a sphere, that I actually liked a little better. So those got painted and installed.

I finally have the trim in place in the shadowbox living room. And today I went to Lisa's where she very graciously printed out three copies of a city scene to use in the windows and also provided a piece of plastic to take the place of glass. I may or may not work on those tonight and when I do, that will pretty much complete the inside of the shadowbox, except for furnishings. Putting various practice furnishings in the rooms today showed me how really small a 5" x 8" room can be. What was I thinking when I decided I could furnish those little spaces as rooms? I don't know. Nobody knows. Who can really figure out how my little cross-wired brain works? I certainly can't.

But I did bring the Arthur home and now I'll be working on getting the living room wallpaper and carpet in there, as well as trying to fit a new kitchen floor in. After that comes shingling (urk glug) and anything else, including the exterior of the shadowbox, will have to wait for a week till the 1st rolls around again. But I think the shingling and other work on the Arthur will keep me busy till then. Provided I don't get super frustrated or even mildly frustrated and stomp on the house so I can feel better.

I also wanted to say those windows were just beautiful, Valerie. I can't wait to see them painted.

Have been very busy, spring and garden work will be my death. I can't wait for the heat of summer, so I won't be able to work outside anymore!

I love checking in and seeing what you are all up to!  Such creative people!

I haven't been able to upload pics, but, my husband brought me a porch, just a porch, from the St Louis museum garage sale.  It's adorable, and fits inside a glass cabinet away from the cats, so perfect, it's a small job, I can find time for it early or late.  It had some hydrangea beds, I ripped them all up, cut a new base, added some lights.  

My plan is to rebuild the garden on little boards, so I can insert it, and pullout.  For seasonal displays.  So I ordered a bunch of hole punches, and have been making flowers to add to the hydrangeas.  

Also!  I wish I could get pics to load, there are windows with curtains and a door.  In one window I glued a small table and added a lit candle, so you can see from the porch.  I'll be able to do a little tablescape, per season.

my great disappointment - early on when I started my mini life I bought two wicker kits to try out, I opened one today and I was so confused.  I then realized the label for the package was folded, they are 1/2 scale. Both of them.  That's $28 and many years of hoarding I'm not getting back!

but, on to better news!  We drove our trailer full of real garden debris to the town compost heap and on our way home noticed a neighbor diagonal to us was having a garage sale, stopped and found the perfect antique cabinet for a dollhouse base. Some hole punches, floral wire.  $18!  As we were loading it in the trailer, we spotted an unboxed newberg dollhouse kit in the trash!  The neighbor said she'd been trying to sell it for 15 years. Well, I live across the street, and I'm very open about my dollhouses

so, we pulled it right out of the trash, moldings, 3 bags of shingles.  Tonight I'm going to lay it out and make sure it's all there

• Like 5

It has been a while, family health problems and the holidays came up. So I looked around one day and

I had become a mini hoarder! Oh my. What to do????  I made a game plan, and started my "1/24"scale Brindles'

Mercantile" which will be a Curiosity,Oddity Shoppe. I am trying to use my stash.

Glad to be back!!! 

Gail :bear: 

• Like 1