What's everyone working on?

11260 posts in this topic

Thanks all on the door frame, I am anxious to get it all painted and installed. 

Jeanine - those are Lawbre slate tiles, typically used with this house. I do love the look!

My next challenge is to paint the door. I want a dark red/rust door like this. I want to remove the door from it's frame but don't see a way to do it. The pins don't have heads and seem deep.

Thoughts?

ChateauDetail.jpg

Edited by miniaddicted
downsized image

Here's the closeup of the door pin. I may have to resort to ungluing the frame but I really hate to do that. It seems pretty sturdy.

doorPin.jpg

31 minutes ago, miniaddicted said:

Here's the closeup of the door pin. I may have to resort to ungluing the frame but I really hate to do that. It seems pretty sturdy.

doorPin.jpg

Xylene will easily melt the glue but I've been successful at getting those deep pins out by chipping out enough of the wood on the bottom pin to get my small needle nose pliers in there. 

Heidi, will your house be that slate blue?  The rusty red door will really pop!

3 hours ago, Sable said:

Xylene will easily melt the glue but I've been successful at getting those deep pins out by chipping out enough of the wood on the bottom pin to get my small needle nose pliers in there. 

Thanks Sable, I will try to extract the pin first.

I finally got the front door porch together and some of the flat roof "iron" installed on the roof areas.  This week I should finish up the porches.  I like seeing the Cape May come together after all of the painting a prep work!  I "aged" the door knob and plate, as so many suggested, to match the door knocker.  I love the look of it all.

large.20171026_234239.jpg.6dd3d8fb0a589blarge.20171026_234229.jpg.95d34e7452f6f1

4 people like this

Wow that looks fantastic madtex, nice work. 

Oh, how I really miss both the :worthy: & :jawdrop: emoticons.  It looks even better than I imagined!

Heidi- LOVED your Magic Bric chimneys!  How did you achieve that color?  Any tricks about using the Magic Bric?  I've only used it once with the stone pattern and did not get the anticipated results.  I am considering using the brick on my next house and I def need some advice to get the desired effect!

I can't wait to see this house all together, it's so awesome.  

Jackie, the late Tom Berkner (of Earth & Tree) used to recommend mixing equal amounts of Brik/ Stone powder, water & white all-purpose glue (like Elmer's) to the consistency of frosting.  You can either also add small amounts of water-based paint or after the stuff has dried dry brush random colors or (my favorite) brush on finely grated chalk pastels to get subtle color variations in your bricks.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, madtex1967 said:

I "aged" the door knob and plate, as so many suggested, to match the door knocker.  I love the look of it all.

Yes!!!! :clap: 

4 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Heidi- LOVED your Magic Bric chimneys!  How did you achieve that color?  Any tricks about using the Magic Bric?  I've only used it once with the stone pattern and did not get the anticipated results.  I am considering using the brick on my next house and I def need some advice to get the desired effect!

started the chimney pieces for the exterior of the Chateau, deciding I would use Magic Brik. I painted them with a grey - thinking a texture would be cool for a grout base. After doing this, it occurred to me the tape will probably not adhere well to this :(  so I had to sand that off and repaint. I also made the brick mixture, using some powder I got from Richard Stacey I think, it was tan. I added colors so it looks like brick colors. 

As Holly mentioned,  mix the powder grout with water and some glue. I had some powder that was beige, and went nuts coloring it, getting a nice darker red/brown.

Once it was set over the tape, about 15 minutes later, I removed tape.  I decided to dry brush on some black. In some spots the brick was still a bit soft, so it kinda mushed some bricks, but most went fine.  Since the stipple brush was stiff, and brick somewhat set, it added a texture in addition to the color. That was exactly what i was missing on my bed & breakfast,  more varied texture as well as color. I may go back to my b&b and stipple on black.

1 person likes this

For stenciled bricks I use paperclay, water it down and stir it until it’s a thick pancake batter consistency. I spread it over the stencil with a butter knife. 

1 person likes this

ok- thanks for the hints..... :) the Pepperwood Farmhouse is almost void of its old yellow siding, so I will let you all know how the brick process goes!   

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Sable said:

For stenciled bricks I use paperclay, water it down and stir it until it’s a thick pancake batter consistency. I spread it over the stencil with a butter knife. 

Very cool idea! Do you also color it before you apply?

27 minutes ago, miniaddicted said:

Very cool idea! Do you also color it before you apply?

I used the terra-cotta paperclay which ended up too pink so I spray painted the bricks (after reapplying the stencil) with stone textured spray paint. Next time I’ll add Brick Red craft paint to the paperclay mixture.

Been fiddling intrying to make a mini version of a 1700 poison/assassin book, still a few details to work out but all knall it is there, sort of...

firts pic is of the i terror of the book, need tonfigurer out how to add the know

add the knobs parts. Second is of the exterior of the book, need to add a few more golden details, need to get a New pen for that though as the ones I had athand were all dried up. The last pic is of the inspiration book shared as a challenge.  Now to figure if I could possibly Steampunk another version.. .

large.IMG_0845.JPG.b0ecb1cdab480ab754876large.IMG_0844.JPG.81c313ad9c58b1b045604large.IMG_0846.JPG.6988e4d3a38f2f3a46aaa

2 people like this

How unique! I like your interpretation. :) 

Super house.. I don't like green as a color but have to admit I love it on your Cape May

Anna, I think cutting the heads off of dressmaker' pins would work as drawer knobs.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

That sound you hear is me hitting my head against the wall. Why? Well, I'm glad you asked that.

I made the attempt today of trying to sub one of the small plugs in for a large plug. Oh, was that frustration. I'm still not sure if I did it correctly. Maybe someone here can tell me how it's supposed to be done.

Anyway, first I couldn't get the wires (there's 4 of them on each side of the cord) through the little holes in the new plug. Lisa finally had them twisted till I got that done. Then the lamp wouldn't light, although it did when I tested it. So...I changed the lead in plug in thingy. I used the probe until the tape has so many holes in it I'm surprised it's still together,. Then I thought maybe I didn't get the plug in straight. I started over and made a new plug. I chopped up the wallpaper behind the nightstand and I hope no one can see it. This, of course, was trying to get the lamp to light when I had forgotten to turn on the light or plug in the transformer or any of the hundreds of other dumb things I do.

Finally, after two hours, Lisa said, "Maybe it's the lamp." I tapped it a couple of times and voila - I had light. It was the bulb in the lamp.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

I forgot the camera, so Lisa took some pics. The first is of the light, of course. The second shows the little plug and all the holes I got in the wallpaper because I kept thinking I had the socket in the wrong place (I didn't).

lamp.jpg.ed4cd12426be90ebe1ccd9cb474e4f1

plug.jpg.5977701d46c575398539b0512559796

I also stuck in the lace for the bedroom curtain, but it's a little large. I'll take care of that tomorrow. Plus I'm going to make a little shade for the window as well. Next week, making the kitchen appliances.

I was having a temper tantrum, but Lisa was quiet and supportive the entire time instead of swatting me upside the head. Thank you, Lisa.

Anyhoo, there are going to be a couple changes in the living room and I want to add a sewing machine in the bedroom. So I'm off to hunt eBay for a mini table that's 2" by 1 1/2". That should be fun. *the sarcasm is strong in this one*

2 people like this

Kelly that's such a cozy looking room. I've always loved that Roosevelt Rose paper too. Glad you solved the light mystery. Been there. 

Ive been organizing and cleaning my work space after finishing up the Mrs Claus doll. I got her sent off to my Mom. 

I usually have to move my projects upstairs for the winter months. This room isn't heated and I can't work with cold hands. I had talked about this a few weeks ago so just an update that I found an awesome faux fireplace heater that heats this 600 sq ft space up really quickly. Total game changer, I'll be able to stay in my happy place all winter. It's cozy and kind of dollhousey too :) the light effects are really realistic, less than $100 at Home Depot. Doesn't show up in these photos but behind the glowing red coals is a periodic orange flame. Dogs approve. 

IMG_5746.JPG

IMG_5748.JPG

5 people like this

Thank you, Karin! I'm now hunting for a mini table to put a sewing machine on that would go next to the cabinet. The table by necessity can only be 2" wide at the most and maybe 1 1/4 inches deep, and I'm still not sure the sewing machine will fit on it. Why do I always set these impossible tasks for myself?

I love your new heater and I know you will too. I have one that's about 15 years old and it still works great. I think, but I"m not sure, that you can get a "stove pipe" to go on top. I never did that, but I did have a torch lamp in black that I turned upside down and used for a "stove pipe". For $5, at St. Vincente de Paul, I found a set of fire place thingys - a shovel, a fork, and a brush, so now I have those by my stove too.

By the way, is yours wood? Because if it is, Pledge works great on cleaning them.