What's everyone working on?

Working on floors for the Yellow house. Agh! So, I had a small scrap of pine flooring, and cut it for one of the rooms, then decided I didn't like it with the rest of the flooring, so that's wasted. The living room and top floors on one side will have to be done strip by strip. Living room is less than 11" wide, but longer than 17", and not sure I want to piece it length wise. The third floor is deeper than 17, so again, would need to be pieced. So, decided to cut out templates from black poster board, and I'm afraid that  it's going to be too thick/rigid. Back to the drawing board!  

I haven't been feeling great, but tonight I finally got some time and energy to work on a phone, these are going into the apartment building. Along with the Petite Princess stuff in the pictures.

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3125.jpg

Well, I have given up on finding a kitchen to fit the shadowbox, so I opened up the Reallife MIniatures kitchen kit I got a long while back. The first time I opened the box, it was just long enough to see all the pieces and instructions before I slammed the cover on again and ran for my life. Funny, a Greenleaf kit never did that to me.

Anyway, tonight I finally took a giant step and pulled all the stove pieces out. I'll do that first. Then the fridge. The sink I'll have to cut down. I am going to make it mucho easy on myself by gluing the fridge door shut, so I shouldn't have to mess around with all the stuff on the inside. I also don't plan on having any doors open on anything. One thing I might try is painting the stove and fridge with gloss white nail polish. I might have to put a clear coat on first but if that works, I won't have to spray paint and worry about trying to finish up with a gloss coat and worry about it not being glossy enough. So tomorrow a trip to Michael's is probably on order.

I'm also wondering if gloss white nail polish will work on the Renwal bathroom set I have.

4 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

...I might try... painting the stove and fridge with gloss white nail polish. I might have to put a clear coat on first..I'm also wondering if gloss white nail polish will work on the Renwal bathroom set I have.

I would first prime the wood with a white matte primer (or spray paint, if you have that) because nail enamel will work differently on bare wood than it does on plastic.

5 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Well, I have given up on finding a kitchen to fit the shadowbox, so I opened up the Reallife MIniatures kitchen kit I got a long while back. The first time I opened the box, it was just long enough to see all the pieces and instructions before I slammed the cover on again and ran for my life. Funny, a Greenleaf kit never did that to me.

Anyway, tonight I finally took a giant step and pulled all the stove pieces out. I'll do that first. Then the fridge. The sink I'll have to cut down. I am going to make it mucho easy on myself by gluing the fridge door shut, so I shouldn't have to mess around with all the stuff on the inside. I also don't plan on having any doors open on anything. One thing I might try is painting the stove and fridge with gloss white nail polish. I might have to put a clear coat on first but if that works, I won't have to spray paint and worry about trying to finish up with a gloss coat and worry about it not being glossy enough. So tomorrow a trip to Michael's is probably on order.

I'm also wondering if gloss white nail polish will work on the Renwal bathroom set I have.

Also Kelly a word of caution on the nail polish. It dries REALLY FAST. If you accidentally go over the same spot while it's tacky it leads to a lumpy finish. I like the FolkArt enamels better for a glossy paint finish. Per ounce, they are way cheaper, too. Maybe pick one of those up on your shopping trip and test on some scrap wood before you decide. Good luck! I had a blast making the appliances from my Reallife kit!

• Like 1

Well, you guys have convinced me. Enamel paint it is. I sort of had a feeling I would have to use paint.

By the way, Jodi, how would you feel if I shipped my kits off to you to put together? LOL I still can't figure out that stove! Well, it's certainly going to look interesting when it's done. On top of that, I'm going to sand the edges to give them a more rounded and "older" look. I don't know about this...*wanders off to eBay to look for another kitchen set*

Moved the big porch rehab house out of the "mini" room into the living room.  Moved the Beacon Hill rehab house (bought in October 2017) from the basement into the "mini" room.  Starting to rehab the Beacon Hill.  Reinforcing the weakened foundation and priming the underside.  Husband is again helping with the electrical, but this time plans to teach me how to do it -- so we will see how that goes.  The house came with tapewire and some lights.  We have yet to test to see if it still works.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Well, you guys have convinced me. Enamel paint it is. I sort of had a feeling I would have to use paint.

By the way, Jodi, how would you feel if I shipped my kits off to you to put together? LOL I still can't figure out that stove! Well, it's certainly going to look interesting when it's done. On top of that, I'm going to sand the edges to give them a more rounded and "older" look. I don't know about this...*wanders off to eBay to look for another kitchen set*

Ha ha! Making your kits and then giving them back to you would sure solve my space issues!

Here's the post I did when making my stove. Maybe there is something in there that can help you. It was in 2015 I think, but I do remember there was LOTS of sanding! 

http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/2015/04/were-cookin-now.html

Have fun with it! I know it will be wonderful!

15 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Kelly, I have that kit, too, along with some of their other kits. WAY more complicated than a House of Miniatures or Chrysnbon kit, for sure. Good luck! I'll be checking on your progress!

I didn't know there had to be progress. Now I'm concerned....

14 hours ago, My Miniature Madness said:

Ha ha! Making your kits and then giving them back to you would sure solve my space issues!

Here's the post I did when making my stove. Maybe there is something in there that can help you. It was in 2015 I think, but I do remember there was LOTS of sanding! 

http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/2015/04/were-cookin-now.html

Have fun with it! I know it will be wonderful!

I have to SAND?!?!

*goes back to eBay*

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I didn't know there had to be progress. Now I'm concerned....

I have to SAND?!?!

*goes back to eBay*

I sanded the heck out of the refrigerator...the stove wasn't as bad. I used appliance spray paint. I sanded after light coats until I finally got a "good enough" finish. My fridge door pops open, I should really just glue it shut. I really enjoyed the kit.http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=127846

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I sanded the heck out of the refrigerator...the stove wasn't as bad. I used appliance spray paint. I sanded after light coats until I finally got a "good enough" finish. My fridge door pops open, I should really just glue it shut. I really enjoyed the kit.http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=127846

That does look nice! Well, now that I know I can't even come close to that, I may as well put everything back in the box until next year.

32 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

That does look nice! Well, now that I know I can't even come close to that, I may as well put everything back in the box until next year.

Nope! You better get going on it! I didn't do any of the inside either....too many tiny fiddly parts. You will be glad you did.

I want to figure a a way to adhere stainless looking stickers to these appliances so they are more modern. I've tried a roll from Circut  but it will not stick on itself!!. I have some pretty funny failures.

Decided to recut the floor for one of the rooms in the yellow house. Laid the template down, traced it, cut it perfectly, then realized I had the template upside down...*sigh* more flooring sheets wasted! Since I had all of that scrap wood, I practiced some stains, and I have a winner, at least for two of the rooms. Going to play around with custom mixes for the other two floors that are already cut. I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow to look at different papers to use for the two big room floors. Poster board was too rigid, and I'm afraid the wood strips will break getting it into the house. Regular construction paper is too small, so going to look at art papers. I really, really want to get the flooring done in the next few weeks, as I seem to be on a roll of productivity.    

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018‎ ‎6‎:‎27‎:‎28‎, WyckedWood said:

I finished my ghost bride I made for a friend. So fun, made me want to make a bride that's actually happy and alive lol 

IMG_8226.JPG

IMG_8228.JPG

IMG_8220.JPG

I am amazed at this!  You are so talented! I am not by any means a sewing expert (or much skilled) but having a family member who is, I have really learned to appreciate well done clothing in regards to scale, drape and fit of detailing. Her face is also well sculpted. She works from head to toe!

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018‎ ‎7‎:‎26‎:‎15‎, Keifer said:

One of the sides...

B3E0FBB0-F84D-4B44-9AD2-A390CBF84D2B.jpeg

This looks awesome, area you doing it from a kit or scratch?

Me, I am working on my recent acquisition, the Orchid.

Everyone has such neat projects that their working on!

Carrie, I wonder if the magnetic paint sticks to itself; if so, you might paint a thin strip on the fridge door and the box (test first on a sample).  I would love to find a source of tiny, flat magnets for the purpose of holding tiny appliance doors closed.

• Like 1

I used the Houseworks kitchen kits for the barn, and really liked them. I have a lot of the Realife kits hoarded away...don't know if I'm going to use them.

So, on my quest for a Christmas house, bought a Sweetheart kit. Kit came in the mail yesterday, and HOW CUTE!! But it's totally too small. For almost anything. Living room is 8x8!!! Gah!! Maybe a half scale house? Back to the drawing board!  

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Carrie, I wonder if the magnetic paint sticks to itself; if so, you might paint a thin strip on the fridge door and the box (test first on a sample).  I would love to find a source of tiny, flat magnets for the purpose of holding tiny appliance doors closed.

Holly,

These might work for your purposes, it depends on how flat you need them to be, but they're very small, 3x1mm! I've been looking into using these for my appliance doors and regular house doors myself. Amazon: Personalized-Multi-Use-Whiteboard-Magnetic-Refrigerators

• Like 1