What's everyone working on?

9 minutes ago, abloom said:

Holly, I haven't seen that movie. Should I? I haven't made the cage yet, or the bones of canniballized children :O  I do have a few horrific ideas I'm thinking about, though ...

No.  I only saw it because a friend of ours took me to my first (and only) sci-fi convention (in the olden times, before cosplay) and that movie ran over & over again the whole time I was there.

• Like 1

I'm a bookaholic (although I do appreciate a great movie).  For fairy/folktales I prefer to read the classics.  I have some books that give the original version of these tales, many of which were intended for adult readers.  (The story of Sleeping Beauty, for instance,  was definitely not meant for children!)

If you go to the storybook version, everything inside the Gingerbread House is also lovely.  The children are fed a feast of home-made goodies, milk, etc. and put to bed in sweet little beds.  During the night, the witch locks Hansel in a cage, and rouses Gretel with a broom early in the morning, to start all the household chores.  From then on, the "glamour" magic is gone, and the witch is revealed in her true colours.  The cage is hidden in an outlying shed.  Gretel has to sleep in the kitchen.  My Gingerbread House (the Arthur) is rustic inside, with copper kitchen items, quilts on the beds, etc.  The outside has candies and candy cane decor.  I didn't take photos when it was all set up, and right now it's in a scattered state ... sorry I can't share pics.

• Like 2

That’s how I remember the story too, and a recent movie we watched, I think it was  “Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters”, the inside of the house was still the perfect cozy cottage with quilts, etc. 

I love those stacked cookies too! 

The more I think about it isn’t wasn’t the Hansel and Gretel witch hunters, it was a different movie but if you haven’t seen it, I liked the (witch hunters) movie :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abloom said:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with these quotes and comments. Anyway, yes, that was part of what I didn't like - the red candy with the green costumes made it look like Christmas. I'm going to try a more monochromatic way, with sweetness but no bright colored candy. The springerle can be a little less pure white, slightly golden, and there might be gingerbread and cinnamon and chocolate, and maybe a little more of the sugary glitter. I might give the stick candy another try, but in chocolate with a cream colored stripe. One hazard in this project is I'm constantly craving cookies. :|

I like the idea of a more monochromatic look with less Christmas color. I was going to suggest tinting the springerle to cut the stark white; I'm glad you thought of it. :)  You're closing in on the best look, Andrea.

I once had an art instructor who pushed his students to do hundreds of thumbnail sketches before beginning a painting. "You can't make the best painting until you've gotten the not-so-good ones out of your head," he used to tell us. Your experimenting is in a way like 3-D thumbnails -- instead of sketches, you're making up samples. Get the not-so-grand ones out of the way, and what is left will be superb! :clap:   

• Like 3

Andrea, I forgot to mention that I too love the springerle molded cookies.  They are absolutely a perfect way to give an authentic, European feel to the place.  Also, cream and chocolate canes sound marvellous - I should like to try one in Real Life!

• Like 1

Liquorice Allsorts have some very pretty candies in the box and lots of good uses for them, and not Christmassy at all. or how about a couple of Walnut Whips  , they would look good either side of the door  like you would use trees  in tubs,especially if you added a few colored sprinkles to them.

Or coconut mushrooms

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shy Spirit said:

I have some books that give the original version of these tales, many of which were intended for adult readers.  (The story of Sleeping Beauty, for instance,  was definitely not meant for children!)

If you go to the storybook version, everything inside the Gingerbread House is also lovely.  The children are fed a feast of home-made goodies...

I'm a fellow lover of the classic folk tales, and I was interested to find out that the Grimms kept revising their stories over decades. I recently read their first version of Hansel and Gretel, too, and noticed that the witch at first gave the children milk and pancakes with apples and nuts and sugar, and she put them to bed in beautiful beds. (I have the apples so far, and a pitcher for milk; I might attempt some little pancakes.) One horrifying detail in that version is that it wasn't the children's stepmother who talked their father into abandoning them in the woods ... it was their real mother. Yikes. She gave them each a piece of bread to eat, but Hansel used his to drop the breadcrumbs to find their way back. When the birds ate the breadcrumbs and they wandered hungry for three days, the witch's house that they found was made of bread (with a roof of cake and windows of sugar). The later versions of the house that we love, with all the candy, are prettier, but in that first version the witch, like the mother, offered them what they needed for life, bread, while secretly luring them toward death. Later, when they did away with the witch and returned home, the mother had also died. It's a thoroughly creepy story, the more you think about it.

I'm sorry there are no photos of your version of the house. I would love to see it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NellBell said:

... like the stacked cookie pole 

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 6.07.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 6.06.14 PM.png

Thanks for this great example! I like the stacked cookie pole too, and I might copy some of the designs from the fabulous cookies on the walls. At Michaels yesterday I found a tube of clay stuff by Mod Podge that's meant to look like icing - exactly what I was looking for!

Still craving cookies :|

7 hours ago, KathieB said:

...I once had an art instructor who pushed his students to do hundreds of thumbnail sketches before beginning a painting. "

Yeah, I was just diving in based on my fuzzy mental picture of what it should look like, and I could have saved myself some time. I made several failed attempts at the candy poles, which take time because I saw the dowels in half lengthwise (the half-poles fit better against the house). And I can't repaint the earlier ones I made, because some of the colors were nail polish. It finally dawned on me ... try the colors on paper first to see if you like them! What a concept.

Thanks for the great ideas and encouragement!

4 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Liquorice Allsorts have some very pretty candies in the box and lots of good uses for them, and not Christmassy at all. or how about a couple of Walnut Whips  , they would look good either side of the door  like you would use trees  in tubs,especially if you added a few colored sprinkles to them.

Or coconut mushrooms

Coconut mushrooms! Perfect! I was wondering what landscaping touches to add; flowers and vines didn't seem right for this house. I'm heading out on google right now to get a look at those lovely-sounding candies. 

43 minutes ago, abloom said:

And I can't repaint the earlier ones I made, because some of the colors were nail polish.

I'd bet a coat of gesso would cover the nail polish Gesso will stick to anything and is the perfect primer.

• Like 1

I love finding out details from different versions of the same stories.  I've read a couple of versions where the children are sent by their biological mother (no stepmother here), who says that her sister lives in the woods.  Her sister is the witch!

Some versions tell that the children are led to the clearing by chance, or a beautiful white deer, or an exotic white bird.

I have to admit that I made my roof look like dark chocolate.  I went for the cake, candies, icing, kind of look.  Making the house out of "bread" could be interpreted as "gingerbread" - at least, that's what I tell myself.  ;)

Smarties, jelly beans, gumdrops, sugared fruit jellies, there is no limit to choice for candy decorations.  You could use something like white Crayola Model Magic Clay to form marshmallow shrubs, or small trees.  Use holeless beads as coloured sprinkles on top, if you like.

Andrea, you are obviously a creative, talented person.  Whatever you decide to do ... I look forward to seeing your progress!

• Like 2

Oh I do love fairy tales!  I still have the three books that I adored as a child....yes, lots of those stories were DEF scary!  Looking forward to seeing some pics of this project!

My Federal farmhouse rehab project is moving along - the end is in sight!  I posted some pics of my current progress.  While working on replacing some broken baseboard I made a surprising discovery- the "baseboard" was actually CHANNEL molding and not stripwood! :eek:  The wall sections were made of 1970's 'wood' paneling, so the channel molding gave the wobbly walls stability, plus wider area for glue and instant baseboards!  Perhaps a good idea, but that is why I couldn't remove the baseboard when I first began renovations.  I thought maybe the guy just used super construction glue or something because of how they just splintered as I tried to pry them off. I had given up and have been simply taping off the floor/walls to paint them white.

Moving on....waiting for a shipment from miniatures.com so I can finish up the white tile bathroom floor and complete the missing door trims (more channel molding).  Working on the upstairs railings as well.  Progress!

This weekend is the miniature show & sale in Lancaster.....I spent so much money at Ron's when I was visiting my son, not sure if I should even bother going!  My poor pocketbook!

The clothing patterns I got from Wolfie don't want to fit the jointed man doll, so I went back to Catriona Hall's trousers pattern for him.  The coat looks like it will do better; if not, I still have plenty of the fabric.  I started assembling all their shoes and the lady's hat fits her.

16 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The clothing patterns I got from Wolfie don't want to fit the jointed man doll, so I went back to Catriona Hall's trousers pattern for him.  The coat looks like it will do better; if not, I still have plenty of the fabric.  I started assembling all their shoes and the lady's hat fits her.

Let me know if you need more patterns as I can easily Scan some of the different patterns  I use and send if you want to try them, or copy them to send over.. 

20 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Thank you!  I'm in pretty good shape, I just forgot the cardinal rule of clothing construction; check the pattern fit!

Know that part too as Mr Crow is on the petitess side to suit the Tennant and Madam Vastra figure I have at hand... didn't take that in consideration when drawing up the plans at first, so had to re-size and re-Think but Think I got it right now

Having fun going between projects, ie the hacienda, need to ponder a bit on the bits and pieces Left to do, then the Steampunk Mr Crow, Will fiddle with the tuxedo over the weekend, got the last pieces to make the top hat today so this evening I am adding bits and pieces to the counter large.IMG_1381.JPG.e83752d534e55ec9e5991

• Like 2

Went to quilt shop with my sis this afternoon and got some fat quarters to use for wallcoverings for the Beacon Hill. Found a nicely scaled pale teal pattern for the walls and a coordinating piece for bedclothes, two deep red patterns for center hall, and a nice green for the doctor's study. Cleaning out the debris in the craft room is on the top of my to-do list. As soon as that happens, work on the BH can begin again in earnest. Poor neglected lady. :( 

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

Went to quilt shop with my sis this afternoon and got some fat quarters to use for wallcoverings for the Beacon Hill. Found a nicely scaled pale teal pattern for the walls and a coordinating piece for bedclothes, two deep red patterns for center hall, and a nice green for the doctor's study. Cleaning out the debris in the craft room is on the top of my to-do list. As soon as that happens, work on the BH can begin again in earnest. Poor neglected lady. :( 

I'm glad you're back at the Beacon Hill Kathie! Remember the lovely blue wallpaper we both got a sheet of at the fair? I managed to paper the master bedroom of my BH with it, it looks lovely! (Well that is if you don't look too closely, it was my first attempt at wallpapering and it's a bit of a patchy job oh and I only papered above the chair rail...) I'm pleased with the result though :)

My workroom is a MESS! The last two days I have been experimenting with pour-on resin for my bathroom tiles, quite good results but that stuff is messy! Also, I've been trying out some egg carton brickwork colors - yes, I plan to brick the whole house! I have been guided by Otterine's great tutorial! I am trying three methods for the brick colors: 1) a mixture of burnt umber, yellow ochre and cadmium red acrylic paint, this gave a chocolaty brown - my son thought it was Nutella!; 2) Here in Georgia the soil is the perfect brick red I'm looking for, I dug some up and finger painted (smeared) it on the brick 3) the tird option is a combination of the two - the acrylic paint aforementioned with the addition of the Georgia clay soil, dried and pulverised to a powder. I then 'grouted' with spackle tinted grey - finally, everything was sealed with mod podge matte. I'll let you know what the results are when everything has dried out :) - Now, to clean up the MESS!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WestPaces said:

sealed with mod podge matte

I'll be especially interested to know whether the modge podge dries and seals or remains slightly tacky.