What's everyone working on?

Hoping to work on this over the next few days. Ive had this 1/12 scale (blown or spun?) glass piano for years. My husband bought it for me at the State Fair one year, I love it. Ive always kept it in the tower room of my faerie manor. It occurred to me that one of my porcelain fairies could be seated at the piano playing. I think it will work out. I thought the one who is supposed to be sleeping would be a good choice, instead of sleeping she could be looking down or just lost in the music. Undecided about which of the two fairies Ill use for the scene, but Im picturing a long white flowing nightgown on whichever one gets seated at the piano stool.

32149129_10212553531693025_3705555950283784192_n.jpg

• Like 4

All work on the Federal farmhouse rehab and Grandma's Cottage have stopped for the moment.....I am working on another type of miniature: 40th birthday cake figurines for a      "Labyrinth" movie theme party!  After several attempts using my vintage people mold, I finally got a decent doll face for the heroine. Unfortunately my doll-making skills are somewhat lacking, and the final results are marginal, at best.  blargh.  At least the dress turned out ok!  Oh, to have the skill of some of you!!

Nonetheless.....onward to the next creature.....so far the face has gone much better.  Will post some pics soon.

5 minutes ago, CraftyGramZ said:

I copied, shrunk and framed some of my paintings to go into my dollhouse workshop/craft room. These are paintings that I did myself.  Am going to post a couple of pics in my gallery.

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

Those are really pretty Pati!

Mid Life Madness, 

My husband gets upset when I buy things for my dollhouse.  Says I should make everything.  I think maybe he's being thrifty?  But I do enjoy all kinds of crafts. Right now I am doing the miniature scene.  I just finished quilting for awhile.  Sometimes you just have to try something new.  Loving making miniatures.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

@CraftyGramZ I enjoy making things myself, but there are somethings you just can't make. I can give it a good try, but it dosen't always look right.

That's for sure.  I made some miniatures back in the 70's and they are a kick to see now.  Still using some of them though now that I am back to miniatures again.

6 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I think I’ll probably end up using that one Holly, I had my heart set on the sleeping one nestled in one of the fairy beds. 

She looks like she could be blissfully napping while the billowy music plays .... 

• Like 1

I think so too Susie :) I got a chance to get the two assembled and cotton wrapped, but didn't get time for any sewing today.

Pati, I love your paintings, and the frames. I also love to paint but haven't done it since I got hooked so hard by my dolls. You really have to be in the mood. Will you make dolls for your house?

2 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Pati, I love your paintings, and the frames. I also love to paint but haven't done it since I got hooked so hard by my dolls. You really have to be in the mood. Will you make dolls for your house?

5 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

@CraftyGramZ   I would love to be able to make some dolls.  Have not tried that yet.  Except for some shrunk dried apple faces :-D.  I have seen such wonderful ones.  I can't imagine being able to make them so realistic.

• Like 1

Oh, the shrunken dried apple faces.  I remember doing those too lol.  And paper ribbon dolls :) 

One of the best things about the dollhouse hobby is that it includes so many other little side hobbies. 

7 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

Oh, the shrunken dried apple faces.  I remember doing those too lol.  And paper ribbon dolls :) 

One of the best things about the dollhouse hobby is that it includes so many other little side hobbies. 

I tried my hand at apple faces, too. :) 

I think working with dollhouses gives us the opportunity to use skills we developed while exploring (and then abandoning) a whole series of side hobbies. In a way, it legitimizes those truncated efforts. And it gives us license to experiment with new areas. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I think I’ll probably end up using that one Holly, I had my heart set on the sleeping one nestled in one of the fairy beds. 

Or she could be lounging on a chaise longue listening to the music. The piano is perfectly ethereal for a fairy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

I tried my hand at apple faces, too. :) 

I think working with dollhouses gives us the opportunity to use skills we developed while exploring (and then abandoning) a whole series of side hobbies. In a way, it legitimizes those truncated efforts. And it gives us license to experiment with new areas. 

Googling dries apple faces.........................AAAARGH!

53 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

Googling dries apple faces.........................AAAARGH!

Actually, some of the dolls are a rather charming depiction of aging.

The apple doll is a curious little being.  No two are alike.  The apple is peeled. The face is carved.  It is left to dry, sometimes for several weeks.  The resultant facial characteristics are unique to each âapple personâ.  Sometimes, I look into the mirror; and, I see an apple doll.  Other times, it's just me!  :)

• Like 1

Oh, Janet - you should see how brown the apple-heads become with age!  My mum had one from the seventies ... it looked mummified by the time she parted ways with it about seven years ago.

• Like 1